Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Online on Linux?
08-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Will STO run on Linux?

Anyone know?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes it will, you will need to do it under wine though and I have no experience with wine under Linux.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes it will and there was a thread many months ago on how to get it done. It would be kind of hard to find now. Like anything with Linux, the devs here won't help you get it up and running but there was one yellow name in the thread giving some tips and helping with minor questions although he/she wasn't required to do so. Mainly you need to get the IE libraries installed under Wine and I think it was needing Wine 1.2 at least.

I played it under Wine back then but stopped because while it ran it still ran better for me under Windows. Plus the media player for using my own music I couldn't get it to work in Linux since STO incorporates either iTunes or Winamp which caused issues trying to play under Linux.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Not going to happen, but I'll put my vote in for a supported Linux version.

I don't want to run Windows forever, but stuff like STO keeps sucking me in...
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Apparently it works in Wine, but there are some issues with the patcher.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Not going to happen, but I'll put my vote in for a supported Linux version.

I don't want to run Windows forever, but stuff like STO keeps sucking me in...
You didn't read the thread. It's already been running under Linux with Wine. I *CHOSE* to stop using it under Linux because of the media player integration. Some people got it to run with Wine less than version 1.2 but I had issues with versions before 1.2 which came out over a year ago. Some people were running STO while it was still in beta with Linux. So your "Not going to happen" is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
Apparently it works in Wine, but there are some issues with the patcher.
Yes, there is. You have to winetricks in Internet Explorer since Cryptic using IE libraries in the patcher. And even then, for me I saw the patcher bar didn't indicate it was patching but if you looked at the top of the patcher, you'd see the number moving to show it was patching.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=57815&page=46

First post on the above page shows what that poster winetrick'ed to get his launcher to work. I don't remember doing that many and he said he did more for other reasons but doesn't hurt to have too many in instead of too few.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
You didn't read the thread. It's already been running under Linux with Wine. I *CHOSE* to stop using it under Linux because of the media player integration. Some people got it to run with Wine less than version 1.2 but I had issues with versions before 1.2 which came out over a year ago. Some people were running STO while it was still in beta with Linux. So your "Not going to happen" is false.
I did read the thread. You didn't read my post. Linux is not officially supported for STO. The fact you could run it under Wine today does not necessarily mean you'd be able to do that a year from now.

So I stand by my claim that an officially supported Linux port is "not gonna happen".
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
"To do so would introduce an unstable element to a critical situation."

- x -
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I did read the thread. You didn't read my post. Linux is not officially supported for STO. The fact you could run it under Wine today does not necessarily mean you'd be able to do that a year from now.

So I stand by my claim that an officially supported Linux port is "not gonna happen".
Linux users don't look for things to be officially supported. If you want "officially supported" everything, then Linux is not for you. If you can't fix it yourself then stick to Windows. Only people who Linux experience is strictly GUI-based wouldn't be able to handle it. And those types are not true Linux users but Linux n00bs. 99% of Linux support comes from the Linux community and if that isn't something a person can deal with, again stick to Windows.

But STO has ran on Linux since before day 1 nonstop except when Cryptic had server issues. It would require a major overhaul of the STO code to not work later in Linux. And chances of that happening are slim and none. And Slim has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. And even if they did that, it would probably have a fix within a few days.

As the links shows coderanger even commented on things even though he's not officially required to say word one. That shows Cryptic isn't a PITA towards Linux users playing their game unlike a certain game Leroy Jenkins got famous in where one time they banned accounts playing under Linux.

OP asked a simple question "Will STO run on Linux?" and your answer was "not going to happen". And it's already happened and still happening. So stand by it all you want but that was wrong.
Closed Thread