Starfleet Veteran
# 1 So I had an idea...
11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I was napping today and had a dream about STO where I was on some ground map, and I found a crashed Excelsior Refit, and when I went up to it, a screen opened up, and I got a bunch of special space equipment. Oddly enough they were tholian-themed. Then I googled it, and saw that there were those kinds of ships all over the game, that gave special equipment when found.

So when I woke up it occurred to me that it would be a good idea!

There'd be derelict and crashed ships all over the game, hidden in places that'd be hard to find, but if you did, you'd get special equipment.

I think it'd be a good idea personally. Thoughts?
Ensign
# 2
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
A couple of things:

1: if your dreaming about the game, you might be playing it too much.

2: this "special equipment' must not have been very good, or else the ships that had it wouldnt have crashed.

But other than that, sure
Captain
# 3
11-30-2012, 05:56 PM
The idea sounds great for a game structured like EVE, with an expansive galaxy and "real time" warping (hidden load screens rather than strictly instanced areas). If STO's sector space functioned more like EVE's regular space, where the galaxy actually felt huge and expansive, hiding things here and there would work.

As it is, though, STO is severely limited by its game engine. There's absolutely no mystery to every zone, as they're all structured very specifically, and the heavy instancing prevents you from really finding any neat secrets.

Simply put, there's just nowhere to hide anything. Still, I wish your idea was possible. It sounds fun, adding in some sorely needed element of exploration to the game.
Captain
# 4
11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe not all over the game, but I think that some kind of "Starship Graveyard" that let you salvage commodities with chances at finding rare items, and was set up like Ker'rat as a PvP zone, I would be all over the place!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 5
11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtassadar View Post
Thoughts?
Too much STO

I say that sincerely because I've found from personal experience that when I play a game "too much" I start to dream about playing it. Then I wake up and it's like, "dude, seriously"

It's as messed up as when I dream about my work. So I guess the moral of the story is you dream about stuff you do a lot of, so you should start watching pron alot. Or something.

But to answer your question, I guess I don't really care. Someone will just make it public knowledge on a wiki or these forums and the point of it would be no more, unless it was a random spawn somewhere. Then we'll just have lots of complaints about never getting the gear. I've seen this same basic idea elsewhere and all people do is whine that they too can't enjoy nice things due to their playstyle or randomness of spawns. It's not really a reason not to do it but I don't know.
Captain
# 6
11-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
I've seen this same basic idea elsewhere and all people do is whine that they too can't enjoy nice things due to their playstyle or randomness of spawns.
Come on, its not like if we every whined about STFs Purple Tech drops ... oh wait ...

And yes, this is why its a bad idea ... LOL Random for top gear is something that is unfair,someone just stumbling on a Purple Mk XIV Phaser Relay would be rewarding LOL random and we already have too much LOL Random in the game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exorace25k View Post
1: if your dreaming about the game, you might be playing it too much.
Haha, no, it was just one dream that popped into my head. usually my dreams are far more bizzare. I don't play this game all that much, I just have an overactive imagination. Last thing I did before my nap was STO.
Lieutenant
# 8
11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I think maybe instead of ships some Easter eggs that awarded accolades or small items / unique drops could be done. These could even be used to start quests ( read content ) and there are places to hide them; Bajor, Vulcan, Andoria, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Kinda reminds me of Holocrons from SWTOR... I'm not a big fan of the Holocrons, but to each their own.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Freelancer had this. I think it could work, maybe more like the red alerts than a stumble upon encounter.

Derilict vessel detected in sector, You warp to it only to find the borg/tholians/klingons/romulans/ferengi..etc have gotten there first, You and your team must fight the offending faction off so that you may salvage said wreck, And if your sucessful you and your team get some phat lewt.

Works for space and ground in theory. I'd do them if they poped up. Maybe tie in some kind of daily?
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln