Lt. Commander
For new folks and anyone who doesn't have it already Amazon has the CE version of STO for 7 bucks.

Now why would I pay 7 bucks when the game is free? Well you get 2 costumes (worth 11 bucks), the Red Matter Capacitor not available anywhere else, a metal pin, nice box, nice book and 30 days play time as gold.

But the really nice thing is it seems anything you earn as gold you keep as silver. So just play with your retail key unlock your 3 toon slots and extra bank/extra inventory/ foundry slots and let your sub end in 30 days.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Onli...6788808&sr=8-1

And because I'm so super nice, it looks like Alienware still has CD keys left:

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaw...iption-bundle/

I would say get a key from Alienware, order the amazon copy. Play the F2P while you wait for your amazon copy then add the Amazon CD key to your account. Tons of free stuff for not alot of money.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2012, 12:51 AM
If I'm already Gold, can I buy the CE and enter the key for the goodies and another 30-day-gold?

EDIT: Nevermind, they don't ship outside the US. But my question remains

EDIT 2 : Thanks AviKerensky
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
If I'm already Gold, can I buy the CE and enter the key for the goodies and another 30-day-gold?
If STO is anything like City of Heroes (Also made by Cryptic), then yes, you can.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2012, 12:59 AM
People were buying this game's normal version for $2.50 a while back for the free 30 day sub. In response I believe they stopped letting the 30 day sub stack.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
People were buying this game's normal version for $2.50 a while back for the free 30 day sub. In response I believe they stopped letting the 30 day sub stack.
Can anyone verify this? I mean yes I see why they would stop this but on the other hand you pay for another legit retail copy of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Can anyone verify this? I mean yes I see why they would stop this but on the other hand you pay for another legit retail copy of the game.
You get item bonuses. You only get the gametime once though.

Also, the Amazon version MIGHT even still come with the Borg BO. Hard to say.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:

I know for a fact Cryptic did this with CO because my son was affected by this. As far as I'm concerned, these are valid keys and Cryptic should have to honor them. Just because a company is now selling them at a steep discount is no reason Cryptic should be alowed to refuse them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Game time might stack, Cryptic said it "shouldn't" but each time a digital version goes on sale folks have always seen game time stack. Even as recently as the 2011 steam xmas sale folks were having game time stack still.

The stacking seems to work as long as the versions are from different retailers, so in theory you could stack an amazon retail key with a steam key with a Direct download key and end up with 90 days sub time. But really there isn't much of a reason to do that now that the game is F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

I know for a fact Cryptic did this with CO because my son was affected by this. As far as I'm concerned, these are valid keys and Cryptic should have to honor them. Just because a company is now selling them at a steep discount is no reason Cryptic should be alowed to refuse them.
Remember, Cryptic received full pay for any STO game being sold. Prices are reduced to eliminate non-selling games, if nothing else, to make room on the shelves.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
EDIT: Nevermind, they don't ship outside the US. But my question remains
Figures. I guess rest of the world will never get the Red Matter Capacitor.