Empire Veteran
What Star Trek Online needs to most improve upon, and what are the biggest obstacles it needs to overcome in order to achieve those improvements?

I would appreciate some feedback, as well as your opinion on what are STO's biggest obstacles. All I ask is that you keep it civil and try to stay on the topic of attaining the goal-whatever it may be-of STO improving (think positive thoughts and unicorns).

One of the biggest problems STO has currently is the way it is marketed on steam and on the perfect world web-site. I think the marketing needs to shift from lauding new shinies and systems to showcasing storylines into which those shinies and systems fall into. Remember when the anniversary Bortisqu and Odyssey were released? Remember how they had a very short but cool shakedown mission that you had to play through before you got the ship? Well, that's sort of what I'm talking about, but only partly.

As an example, let's talk about the Vesta. As far as I know, there was no shakedown mission or in-game storyline that was developed to introduce it. It was literally sold to us in the zen store as if it were some cheap hot dog or cracker jacks sold to us at a baseball game. Where was the mystery? Where was the fun? Where was the story? Wouldn't it have been more meaningful if we to play through an ultra-mini mission series before we were able to purchase it in the zen store? I think a lot of people still don't know that it originated from some book series. Heck, I still don't know much about it. But you get my point. Add a little more intrigue and mystery, and the ship takes on a whole new meaning. What I would have liked to have seen is Cryptic not saying anything about the vesta and just saying, "hey, I hear there is this new ship coming out. Why don't you play through this mini mission series to find out more about it? Hint, hint...nudge, nudge."

This one is a bit of a stretch but bear with me. Maybe the same strategy could be applied to duty officer pack releases. Maybe they should also be placed within some sort of storyline to give meaning to their introduction into the game. The problem with each new duty officer pack is that they tend to fill some very specific role by giving slight increases to abilities in ground or space combat, or even bonuses to gathering xp, commendation, and skill points. And that role has nothing to do with integrating them into the any of the storylines. What I mean to say is that primary function isn't to advance a storyline; it is to provide short term cash gains for Cryptic. The question is, though, whether or not that is healthy for STO? Are we just going to release some random doff pack every month that fills some specific niche in terms of a combat need? Man, wouldn't be nice if I could reduce my cool down for this ability by 2 more seconds? I don't see that as healthy for the long-term success of the game. The devs should figure out a better way of integrating doffs into ground and space missions and storylines that gives them more meaning than just .05% more edge in pvp or evoking a reaction like "wow, it's cool that that your heals have a chance to apply a hypo."

Another sort of blunder was the steam Federation starter pack. For starters, where was the matching Klingon starter pack? PWE wants faction parity, so the devs should have released a similar Klingon pack with the same number of ships-one tier 1 and tier 5. However, there are other issues. Since players will spend the majority of their time playing at level 50, why even bother charging for a tier 1 ship in a starter pack or bother charging for Lt. Commander grade weapons? A much more useful kind of starter package would have been 1000 c-points and 100,000 dilithium, along with a tier 5 ship and some mark XI or XIII gear (or possibly 500,000 energy credits in addition to the c-points and dilithium or just easily, by itself). I don't believe in charging for tier 1-4 ships anymore either, unless we are able to upgrade them to tier 5. Frankly, charging for a tier 1 ship is a little misleading since a newcomer may not know that a tier 1 ship can't be upgraded.

Besides that, there is the issue of how the starter pack is advertised. In the first sentence of the start packs description, it reads, "This bundle contains all you need to start battle the Klingon Empire." My question to the devs is what do you mean by battle the Klingon Empire-in PVP or in the storyline? It would have been cool if you could have given a little introductory paragraph about pvp, as well as showcased tidbits of the Klingon storyline that could entice potential trek fans into picking up this starter pack and giving them the game a try. Essentially, the devs need to ask the question: how does the starter pack help newcomer feel like they're part of a Trek experience? Maybe you could also include something in the starter pack description about the path to 2409 or how the Federation experience relates to how current events are unfolding within STO's timeline.

To sum up, what I hope to see from Cryptic from here on out is more storyline to give meaning to the Fleet system, c-store items, and any sort of STO item that is sold to customers. This principle should also be reflected in how you advertise the game on PWE's STO web-site and on steam. If you don't give it a decent story, the item loses its meaning because it has no context. Star Trek and STO have some very good storylines behind them, and you should be taking advantage of these as much as possible.

Last edited by knuhteb5; 11-20-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Lieutenant
# 2
11-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuhteb5 View Post
What Star Trek Online needs to most improve upon, and what are the biggest obstacles it needs to overcome in order to achieve those improvements?
STO's biggest obstacle is its past. Specifically, the KDF. The KDF has been the elephant in the room and the chip on the shoulder of the game since it launched, and it has only been growing larger with time. Until they finally "finish" the KDF, they cant move forward with new factions.
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose666 View Post
STO's biggest obstacle is its past. Specifically, the KDF. The KDF has been the elephant in the room and the chip on the shoulder of the game since it launched, and it has only been growing larger with time. Until they finally "finish" the KDF, they cant move forward with new factions.
Could you please quantify what you mean by finish the KDF? Do you want the same number of single-player missions as the Feds? Do you want KDF-specific FE's? Do you think Cryptic could do a better job of advertising and encouraging KDF play? If so, how could they go about doing this?
Commander
# 4
11-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Or just get rid of the KDF as a playable faction entirely and move on. It's hard to imagine it's worth the trouble.
Captain
# 5
11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I think one of the primary things has to be more "explore" missions. New Romulus was a great start, because it suits pretty much everyone: whether you want to solve puzzles, fight challenging mobs, or explore strange new worlds, New Romulus has something for you.

And yes, they need to finish the KDF. By that I mean more episode missions. Once the faction is roughly the same size as the Federation, and once it's marketed really well, people will come in and spend money.
Lieutenant
# 6
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuhteb5 View Post
Could you please quantify what you mean by finish the KDF? Do you want the same number of single-player missions as the Feds? Do you want KDF-specific FE's? Do you think Cryptic could do a better job of advertising and encouraging KDF play? If so, how could they go about doing this?
I put the word "finish" in parenthesis because it is open to interpretation. However by Dan Stahl's own definition, it means enough missions to level from 1-50 without grinding. I highly doubt the KDF will ever have as many episodic missions as the Feds, but they obviously need more to meet that standard.

I think it is likely that the KDF will eventually get a combination of more episodic missions as well as new KDF exclusive adventure zone areas that will allow KDF players to fully level.

And I think it is obvious that Cryptic could do a better job of advertizing KDF play. For example, they could feature ads on gaming sites that show KDF characters and ships, as well as give away KDF uniforms instead of it always being Fed items. But there is really no point in doing that until they have got them ready to start at level 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
Or just get rid of the KDF as a playable faction entirely and move on. It's hard to imagine it's worth the trouble.
That is never realistically going to happen, and suggesting it is basically just trolling KDF players.

Last edited by anonymoose666; 11-20-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
What you said basically is the truth, Cryptic really should find a way to bring out the story. Because ever since STO went F2P, it really lost that identity and went from your own Star Trek Story to playing in a Star Trek Themepark.

New Romulus was a good change in pace with that regard in moving back towards the Western Style of MMO, but needs more than instant actions. Make classic dungeons we have to fight to, that ultimately rewards us with a powerful boss fight encounter that rewards nice things than just numbers. Get us to live the adventure.
Empire Veteran
# 8
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
What do you mean by move on? Would Cryptic just focus on Federation and Romulan play? Please quantify.
Empire Veteran
# 9
11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
I put the word "finish" in parenthesis because it is open to interpretation. However by Dan Stahl's own definition, it means enough missions to level from 1-50 without grinding. I highly doubt the KDF will ever have as many episodic missions as the Feds, but they obviously need more to meet that standard.

I think it is likely that the KDF will eventually get a combination of more episodic missions as well as new KDF exclusive adventure zone areas that will allow KDF players to fully level.

And I think it is obvious that Cryptic could do a better job of advertizing KDF play. For example, they could feature ads on gaming sites that show KDF characters and ships, as well as give away KDF uniforms instead of it always being Fed items. But there is really no point in doing that until they have got them ready to start at level 1.

That is never realistically going to happen, and suggesting it is basically just trolling KDF players.
Good idea on the ads with klingon ships and characters. To add to that, have somebody continue spider mitche's ship chart legacy and then buy that from him and use it as an advertisement. I used to just drool over the tier 5 ships in the chart and fantasize about flying in them. Yes, I'm that geeky.

I think adding in more episodic missions is a good idea, as well, but I would add that these missions need alternate endings in order to keep them fresh and interesting. One of my biggest problems with both Fed and Kling missions are that they are too linear. The 2800 missions were a good start to this kind of approach because you would play the mission in different ways which could earn you different accolades.
Career Officer
# 10
11-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I think They should add small amounts of Dilithium to every aspect of the game-play.

They already do it with a majority of the DOff System Assignments, why can't They do it with just about all of the other missions?

When I say small I mean like 25 to 150...

The longer the Mission the higher the reward.

In my opinion, that one thing, would make playing many parts of the game more appealing.

They wouldn't have to increase the Conversion Cap and They wouldn't be forcing the players to do things that they (the players) don't want to do.

I'd even settle for a 5 to 100 range... I can't believe that that would 'break the bank'.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 11-20-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Closed Thread