Career Officer
# 21 Possible Future Of STO
11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Well i have a novel on what i think should be the next step of STO, as one who has been raised on Star Trek the thought of an online game to explore new worlds and such and such, is fantastic. Many games have come out before hand, most have been great and one or two not so good. I have a lot to suggested to the devs on what i feel would make STO a more interesting and unique experience, but like i said earlier i have a novel and some of my ideas are for devs eyes only. So i think i will go on the unique aspect of STO, meaning by adding small features that make a great deal to the STO player. I will bullet point to make it more simple.

1. Ship Customization a more unique look to your starship!

Now we have many ships to choose from and have limited ways to customize to say ''this is my ship'', but the one thing i see is a lot of players with very similar looks, especially when a new ship arrives on market and suddenly we have an outbreak of same same same. Now what i suggest is the ability to change the ship customization to scale to scale. This meaning you can change the height, width and depth of certain parts of the ship, by doing so many forms and shapes and sizes will arrive, giving more players pride in there best ship, also i suggest that we have the ability to use parts of our ships to mix and match, ie galaxy nacelles, akira saucer and the hull of a star cruiser. That was just a random mix i just thought of, but you get the idea.

2. Choose your visuals!

One thing i am getting bored of is the way i warp out or the way i beam out. Now i would love to be able to have my liberated borg toon to beam out as a borg does, so what i am saying is the ability to choose how you beam, how you warp out. I for one would love my borg ship to warp out using transwarp, green and all or perhaps a quantum slipstream warp out. Now how cool would that be? I also would suggest to choose the colour of your beam out, even the animation your toon pulls before you beam out. I think your getting the picture here.

3. Whats inside my ship!

Now i have to say one of the things i did find a bit disappointing when i started playing STO was the choice of bridges and the size of some things. For example when i got my Intrepid class, i was hoping to have the choice to have the original voyager bridge, i just love it, although there is one or two that are similar, but its way to big and my LCARS does not display the correct ship. I would suggest more original bridge packs, i know we have the original series and belfast ones, but i want more and am sure others do. Also a bigger update would be the ability to decide what engine room i have, or my sick bay. Also i would like a shuttle bay where the shuttles i have are displayed there, though i have read and heard that idea could be a possible update. I want to write more, but this will be far too long, and by now you are getting the idea, so heres my pitch to the devs.

I understand that STO is and will be going through major changes with this new Season 7, but for myself and other players, i think soon the devs should concentrate on making STO a more fun and unique game, by adding some of these ideas and others ideas, as i am not alone on this. For a lot of players STO offers us to live the virtual dream to command a starship and to be a part of a massive online community. That everyone from free to play to lifetimers not only enjoy STO, but take pride it what they have achieved and well show off a bit. Am asking a lot, this i know and i am thankful for such a cool game, even though it can be a bit buggy lol, but what i enjoy more is that i am apart of a friendly community and i have a starship. Quite simple really for me. STO has struggled and faced massive negative feedback, but i have faith that STO can be more and better for its players, which i feel is important. Thats all i have to say, i can only hope i see at least one of my many ideas out there and be used by the players, lets hope.

Take care and all have a good game
Captain
# 22
11-20-2012, 10:00 PM
What I think it needs is a structured story arc for each season, rolling out in stages between its first episode to its last. The story should be global in nature with the activities of every stage playing into the stage to follow. An entire season could be one extended mission, really.

In terms of seasonal mechanics, they should only focus on mechanics that fit the context of what the season is about. That way the focus on the season can be very thematic and actually move the timeline forward instead of making it all feel stagnant...

If the season has a 3-month run, then it needs 12 stages. Each stage could have a Dilithium Cost to pay towards unlocking with multiple activities directly related to the current stage.

The Dilithium cost should be 50400. If a stage has five activities, then they need to pay out 1440 units of ore per day. 1440 * 5 = 7200 * 7 = 50400. A 7-day cooldown before advancing to the next stage will also be in effect. In this way, everyone has the potential of arriving at the startpoint of subsequent phases at the same time, whether they buy their dilithium or earn it through gameplay.

The initial stage should cost nothing, though so access to the seasonal content is not gated by time or dilithium, but those who start on day one of a season, manage to collect at least 7200 dilithium ore per day, with the activities directly related to the seasonal content making that possible, then everyone can proceed at the same pace.

The important thing is that if there is going to be a dilithium cost on something, the means to get enough Dilithium within the required timeframe needs to be there... It's fair to spread out content over a season as a step to make sure that the season's content lasts the season. If a new stage can be unlocked each week, thus allowing for the advancement of the story arc, then our gameplay can be made to have meaning in a contextual sense.

And CONTEXT is something that STO lacks...
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Captain
# 23
11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Needs?

Honestly, I think KDF 'needs' a Ferasan ship and at LEAST one more small craft(perhaps of Ferasan or Orion design). Their wardrobe options.. are in quite a dire state as well.

By now, I'm fine with the KDF being the 'little brother' to the Federation side (I play both about equally), but there is a SINGLE c-store uniform and small craft for them.. compared to about a dozen and half-dozen, respectively, for the federation side.

Actual gameplay/content-wise, I feel more needs to be done with the 'exploration' system - it's at the heart of what "Star Trek" is about. I've made suggestion of this in another thread, but I would really like to see them add a colony and local faction system to the exploration clusters. Befriend one faction and you(r colony) gets the benefits, but you'd end up making enemies with the rival faction(s) in the process and might have to fend of raids and such.

In essence, expand the duty officer assignments in those frontiers into a full-fledged game mode. I've often thought of making a foundry mission like this, but found the scripting required to pull it off to be far too daunting. (a mission where 'finishing' is optional, but still allows the player to progress/develop their colony)
Career Officer
# 24
11-20-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd not object to Genesis 2.0 for star clusters. A broader - and more thought out - pool of strange new worlds to explore. Perhaps with random mission chains to permit player's to affect each stage. From discovery through joining our faction.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Captain
# 25
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I would say what they need to improve on but they can't do it until they get out from under PWE.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Career Officer
# 26
11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthstormstrike View Post
I would say what they need to improve on but they can't do it until they get out from under PWE.
100 % this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but if i was to say something i say story
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Captain
# 27
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Oh come OFF it.

The only way Cryptic is getting out from under PWE is if PWE sells Cryptic to someone else. PWE paid $50,000,00.00 to purchse Cryptic from Atari. If they sell Cryptic, the price tag would be higher. Whomever would buy it would be just as hard-pressed to make back their investment so they coould start actually making money off it as PWE is.

ANYONE in control of Cryptic would be all about the money.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Captain
# 28
11-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
Oh come OFF it.

The only way Cryptic is getting out from under PWE is if PWE sells Cryptic to someone else. PWE paid $50,000,00.00 to purchse Cryptic from Atari. If they sell Cryptic, the price tag would be higher. Whomever would buy it would be just as hard-pressed to make back their investment so they coould start actually making money off it as PWE is.

ANYONE in control of Cryptic would be all about the money.
I realize that. Thus I wasn't going to say what they need to improve on since it's no hope.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Career Officer
# 29
11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Quote:
I realize that. Thus I wasn't going to say what they need to improve on since it's no hope.
there is always Star Wars A New Hope

sorry could help it
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Captain
# 30
11-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
On the contrary... I hold out hope that STO will get turned areround and actually start heading in ANY direction rather than just going in circles like it has been doing so far.

I'll hold out hope... I just won't hold my breath.

So do tell. What do you think they need to do, seeing as that even if someone DID buy them off of PWE, the situation likely will not change? What can it hurt?
Closed Thread