Lt. Commander
3 words. Pando. Media. Booster. AKA Spyware. Seriously, you guys have to get rid of this. I really hate having to use this. Thing is basically spyware. I'll wait to download once this....thing.....has been removed from the downloader.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2012, 08:19 AM
When did they add that?!? mine hasn't, unless they completely updated the launcher today
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidKnight View Post
3 words. Pando. Media. Booster. AKA Spyware. Seriously, you guys have to get rid of this. I really hate having to use this. Thing is basically spyware. I'll wait to download once this....thing.....has been removed from the downloader.

ugg...reallly? they use that now? Talk about a step backwards. Till recently they had two ways to download, one of which let you use any torrent client, and the other which was their own custom downloader. Hopefully steam will have the game again soon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotrap
ugg...reallly? they use that now? Talk about a step backwards. Till recently they had two ways to download, one of which let you use any torrent client, and the other which was their own custom downloader. Hopefully steam will have the game again soon.
STEAM does have it, but all STEAM downloads is the current downloader, which if its been updated to Pando, will be Pando

btw, I highly doubt they have updated to Pando and even if they have, the old downloader not only works, but just got a facelift anyway, so just go find that from somewhere
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesamurai View Post
STEAM does have it, but all STEAM downloads is the current downloader, which if its been updated to Pando, will be Pando

btw, I highly doubt they have updated to Pando and even if they have, the old downloader not only works, but just got a facelift anyway, so just go find that from somewhere
We are talking about the downloader, that new players will use to first get the game, not the launcher/patcher ( see http://www.startrekonline.com/download ). As of a few days ago it had the two links I talked about. Now it goes to something different hosted on a perfectworld site.

Steam pulled it from the store a couple of weeks ago.... so if you don't already have it from them you can't get it and download it from them for now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
We are talking about the downloader, that new players will use to first get the game, not the launcher/patcher ( see http://www.startrekonline.com/download ). As of a few days ago it had the two links I talked about. Now it goes to something different hosted on a perfectworld site.
if that is the case, I will happily upload the old launcher/patcher to my server and link it for people, but as for the downloader, I just updated the game and I still don't have Pando on my system, so I'm dubious about this

but again, if you want me to, I will happily host the old launcher

Quote:
Steam pulled it from the store a couple of weeks ago.... so if you don't already have it from them you can't get it and download it from them for now.
holy crap, i literally only bought that for a couple of guildies the day the sale ended to... that was lucky

EDIT: Just an update btw, I also checked the other couple of PWI games I have installed including Rusty Hearts and I definitely don't have the PoS Pando Media Booster on my computer, so yeah, where did the OP hear they had changed anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-17-2012, 08:51 AM
I thought Pando Media Booster basically used the same peer-to-peer technology as torrents to make it faster with increased load rather than slower? It's certainly not spyware as such (none of your personal data is ever touched), but if I remember correctly the main problem was it keeps doing its thing well after you've finished, so you're no longer sharing for the greater good - you become a server for other players! It also tends to gobble up ALL your bandwidth.

So just un-install after use and you'll be fine. I can understand why you wouldn't want to though, what with it eating all your bandwidth up without asking, in which case I'd advise waiting until it comes to Steam in its F2P form. That should be free of such programs If all else fails googling Star Trek Online Client should throw up a few options.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
If it helps, I could upload my original installer(from launch) that will, in effect install the game without downloading, and then you can go through the fun of patching from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Straight from Wiki:

Pando Media Booster (PMB) is an application by Pando Networks, that is used by game and software publishers to ensure safe, complete and speedy downloads of large files. PMB is primarily used to download MMORPGs. Users of PMB participate in a secure, closed peer-to-peer network where users receive pieces of the download package from a Content Delivery Network (CDN) as well as other active users (peers). Unlike Pando, PMB cannot be used to send files from the user's computer. PMB is only activated to deliver Pando-enabled downloads from a commercial sources such as TV Networks, Software publishers and Gaming companies.

PMB is just a closed-system torrent downloader. Feel free to uninstall it after you get STO installed, but it is NOT spyware, and none of the official sites (i.e. McAfee and such) list PMB as even being suspicious.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII
and none of the official sites (i.e. McAfee and such) list PMB as even being suspicious.
Well that's an unfair example, McAfee doesn't list many actual viruses as even being suspicious either.

But in this case I do agree, the program used to download and install STO is perfectly safe as AVG and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware both ignored it as well.