Career Officer
Some months ago I was contacted by someone by in-game mail who wanted tips on creating a custom interior. At the time I didn't have time for a detailed reply, but I told him that I thought I could write up a guide in the next couple of weeks. Well, weeks passed, and then months, and I just never found the time to work on it. At least not until the last few weeks. To whoever it was that mailed me, if you're still around, I'm sorry it took so long.

Below is a link to my video tutorial to creating a custom interior. The entire length of the tutorial is 55 minutes long, however the first 15 minutes just involves discussing what a custom interior is, why you'd want to create one, the pros and cons, etc. So, if you are only interested in the actual meat of how to create a custom interior, you can basically skip all of that stuff.

The tutorial is quite in depth and includes basically everything I've learned about creating custom interiors. It might also be a little bit long winded, so hopefully it's not too boring. But, if you do watch the tutorial, you should be pretty much up to speed on how to create a custom interior for yourself. So, anyway, I hope this helps at least one person.

As always, feel free to post any feedback below.

Creating A Custom Interior Map - Full Playlist (54:20)

Part 1 - Introduction (1:15)

Part 2 - What Is A Custom Interior? (0:49)
Part 3 - Why Create A Custom Interior? (6:48)
Part 4 - Example Of A Custom Interior / Pros & Cons (6:44)
Part 5 - Creating A Custom Interior: Selecting An Outdoor Map (2:19)
Part 6 - Creating A Custom Interior: Selecting An Elevation / Placing Your Floor (10:06)
Part 7 - Creating A Custom Interior: Designing Your Corridors / Introduction To Walls (7:11)
Part 8 - Creating A Custom Interior: Placing Walls & Corners / Example Of Creating A Map / Placing Windows (13:44)
Part 9 - Creating A Custom Interior: Selecting A Backdrop / Placing Consoles / Conclusion (5:21)

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 11-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Ensign
# 2 Thanks!
11-26-2012, 03:15 PM
WOW.

I can't thank you enough. I'm new to the Foundry, and have been slogging through the wall placement tweaking issue trying to determine what values to use just to line up these. Stupid. WALLS.

Just providing those numbers has saved me ALL KINDS of time and frustration. This is great info!
Captain
# 3
11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
It may have been me who contacted you. Either way, this will be most valuable.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 4
11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Wow. Awesome job Nagorak. Please also post at subgc. I'll add a link to the post on our tutorials page.

(visit our chat if you need help with the wordpress)
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
11-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Some months ago I was contacted by someone by in-game mail who wanted tips on creating a custom interior. At the time I didn't have time for a detailed reply, but I told him that I thought I could write up a guide in the next couple of weeks. Well, weeks passed, and then months, and I just never found the time to work on it. At least not until the last few weeks. To whoever it was that mailed me, if you're still around, I'm sorry it took so long.

Below is a link to my video tutorial to creating a custom interior. The entire length of the tutorial is 55 minutes long, however the first 15 minutes just involve discussing what a custom interior is, why you'd want to create one, the pros and cons, etc. So, if you are only interested in the actual meat of how to create a custom interior, you can basically skip all of that stuff.

The tutorial is quite in depth and includes basically everything I've learned about creating custom interiors. It might also be a little bit long winded, so hopefully it's not too boring. But, if you do watch the tutorial, you should be pretty much up to speed on how to create a custom interior for yourself. So, anyway, I hope this helps at least one person.

As always, feel free to post any feedback below.

Creating A Custom Interior Map - Full Playlist (54:20)

Part 1 - Introduction (1:15)

Part 2 - What Is A Custom Interior? (0:49)
Part 3 - Why Create A Custom Interior? (6:48)
Part 4 - Example Of A Custom Interior / Pros & Cons (6:44)
Part 5 - Creating A Custom Interior: Selecting An Outdoor Map (2:19)
Part 6 - Creating A Custom Interior: Selecting An Elevation / Placing Your Floor (10:06)
Part 7 - Creating A Custom Interior: Designing Your Corridors / Introduction To Walls (7:11)
Part 8 - Creating A Custom Interior: Placing Walls & Corners / Example Of Creating A Map / Placing Windows (13:44)
Part 9 - Creating A Custom Interior: Selecting A Backdrop / Placing Consoles / Conclusion (5:21)
Giant Thumbs Up!! Great tutorial!
Former Ship Artist now Environment Artist @ Cryptic

\\// Live Long and Prosper
Captain
# 6
11-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Holy CoW!

Great work!
Captain
# 7
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdrmiller View Post
Giant Thumbs Up!! Great tutorial!
lcdrmiller, please pass this around the office. Maybe we'll get some ceilings, when a few of you nice devs see what we have to do with ugly stone slabs that ultimately still look pretty bad as ceilings and floors.

Please, please. please. This tutorial could really be an eye-opener.

We aren't really asking for much these days. We need textures for ceilings and floors on flat primitives.

This video shows exactly why we need those things.
Career Officer
# 8
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
YOU ROCK , NAGORAK !
Big BIG Thumbs up !

And thanks
Rihannsu
# 9
11-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Great Job!!

Thanks for all the hard work
Captain