Career Officer
# 11
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys. I'm glad it helped you.

The whole thing was kind of a pain to make, so I'm glad it at least has proven useful. First, it took a lot longer for me to make than expected. Then after it was done, POS Windows Movie Maker would not compile it all as one file, so I had to break it down into pieces, which would then work for some reason. Of course, there was no easy way to do it in Windows Movie Maker. That's why the sections are somewhat uneven lengths, because it was easier for me to break things at certain points.

So, if you're thinking of putting together a long video, I'd think twice about using Windows Movie Maker. Maybe the newer versions are less crappy, but the XP version really sucks for anything longer than about 15-20 minutes.

Also, I will be posting it to StarbaseUGC in the next day or so. I meant to do it shortly after posting here, but I was distracted by other things over the weekend.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I've never used the Foundry.

After watching your videos, I feel I could just jump right in and start making awesome custom interiors.

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive walkthrough

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.
Commander
# 13
11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
That was good what you did thank you for showing us all
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
11-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiusrex View Post
I've never used the Foundry.

After watching your videos, I feel I could just jump right in and start making awesome custom interiors.

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive walkthrough
Probably the best compliment you could ever get Nagorak. Well done!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Nagorak, this is an excellent tutorial and a great help for Foundry authors looking for a bit more creativity.

I wonder, though. Do you think it would be possible to adapt these techniques into creating "static interior" Foundry maps? That is to say, do you think that, instead of using these custom interior maps for story missions, they could be used to create a starship interior for roleplay purposes?

Obviously, such a thing would not be able to connect to our actual interiors, but it would still be very useful even if we'd have to go to ESD or DS9 or wherever to enter them.

Your thoughts?
Career Officer
# 16
11-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrider View Post
Nagorak, this is an excellent tutorial and a great help for Foundry authors looking for a bit more creativity.

I wonder, though. Do you think it would be possible to adapt these techniques into creating "static interior" Foundry maps? That is to say, do you think that, instead of using these custom interior maps for story missions, they could be used to create a starship interior for roleplay purposes?

Obviously, such a thing would not be able to connect to our actual interiors, but it would still be very useful even if we'd have to go to ESD or DS9 or wherever to enter them.

Your thoughts?
Well, I suppose you could do whatever you want with the interiors you create. This is just a guide to making them. Obviously, I think most people will be making them to go along with a storyline mission, but I don't see why they couldn't be made for role playing purposes as well.

You're right you'd have to hook them up to DS9 or some other door, but other than that there's no real limitation. If you wanted you could even create an entire ship where each time you interact with the turbolift, you go to another deck. It would only work in a certain order, of course, so you couldn't actually choose what deck you wanted to go to. But it would still allow for you to move between the decks in the same role playing mission.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 17
11-29-2012, 06:13 AM
You mention night 03 as the base map for ships with windows. I'll have to try that for my next deck. I've used the old ESD interior map and stuck it above that. Only problem is the spawn point has to be over the existing interior, which limits where you can spawn in from.

There were alot of useful tricks and tips in there that I never thought of (like renaming the floors and walls). I'll be referencing those videos alot when I finally dive back into the Foundry.

Major, major thanks for doing all that. It's highly appreciated.

If I can ask, what did you use to build that transporter on Atlas deck 13? And which assets are the banners/symbols, like the one behind the transporter chief on deck 13? I can't find those, I could only find the faction banners that hang on poles.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'

Last edited by grylak; 11-29-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Captain
# 18
11-29-2012, 06:47 AM
+1 to STICKY this thread! Or create a tutorials section to encourage more of this.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
11-30-2012, 06:28 AM
This is a fantastic tutorial !! It has encouraged me to start over with the project I was working on. I had a certain storyline in mind, but the assests were not in the foundry so I had to tweak my story. Now I can go back and create the maps I need to tell my original story. Thanks !!

I agree that this needs to be stickied. I would love to see more tutorials in the future, showing all the tips and tricks.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
11-30-2012, 07:31 AM
@birdofprey17 You need look no further than http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic