Career Officer
# 21
11-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
You mention night 03 as the base map for ships with windows. I'll have to try that for my next deck. I've used the old ESD interior map and stuck it above that. Only problem is the spawn point has to be over the existing interior, which limits where you can spawn in from.
The only problem with Night 03, as I mentioned, is it's very dim. I don't know if it's any brighter above the old ESD map or not. I'll have to give that a try.

If a dev is reading this, what we really need an outdoor backdrop with a starfield background, and some soft ambient lighting from directly above to fully illuminate the custom interior. Alternatively, if we had the ability to edit the lighting on ground maps, like we do in space, that would also solve the problem.

Quote:
There were alot of useful tricks and tips in there that I never thought of (like renaming the floors and walls). I'll be referencing those videos alot when I finally dive back into the Foundry.

Some of the tips seem so obvious to me now that I questioned whether to even put them in. Like the thing about putting the coordinates in the name of the ceiling before moving it, so you could easily put it back. Now that just seems like common sense, but I remember for a long time I actually wrote down the coordinates on a piece of paper instead. So, I figured that mentioning stuff like that probably was useful.

Quote:
Major, major thanks for doing all that. It's highly appreciated.
No problem, I'm glad the tutorial has proven helpful. I know I had figured out a lot of tricks to making a custom interior, but I wasn't sure if maybe everyone else already knew them, in which case I would just be wasting my time.

Quote:
If I can ask, what did you use to build that transporter on Atlas deck 13? And which assets are the banners/symbols, like the one behind the transporter chief on deck 13? I can't find those, I could only find the faction banners that hang on poles.
The transporter is made out of 5 "Console - Hologram Podium XL 01"s set on top of a "Platform - Holographic Display 01". At the sides I have a couple of "Building Block Column 5x25x5"s to fill a gap between a couple of the Holo Podiums. If you want when the Foundry comes back up I can get the exact coordinate and rotation information for you to copy it. It's only made up of about 7 objects, I believe.

The banner behind Chief McConnel is Banner - Galaxy Class Starship. There are a bunch of other banners too, which were all added with Season 6.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 11-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Captain
# 22
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Some of the tips seem so obvious to me now that I questioned whether to even put them in. Like the thing about putting the coordinates in the name of the ceiling before moving it, so you could easily put it back. Now that just seems like common sense, but I remember for a long time I actually wrote down the coordinates on a piece of paper instead. So, I figured that mentioning stuff like that probably was useful.
I have never, ever thought of renaming stuff as their coordinates. I've made all of my missions withe a pencil, a notepad and a calculator nearby. It's a great tip.
Lieutenant
# 23
12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
In a custom map, how do you set up the minimap so it works?
Since the minimap does only a top down image, it will show the roof. I have worked on a work around method whereby you duplicate everything and put it above the roof. So build the ground with all the decorations and consoles at 500 meters (for example) and the duplicate it to 600 meters. Then put the roof at 512 meters. The player would see the roof, but the minimap would see the map at 600 and therefore show all the items. I'd rather not do that. I wish that they would just give us the roof tiles which are invisible on the top side allowing the minimap to view through it.

Armand Falconer
Career Officer
# 24
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
There's no real way to get the minimap to work, as you have discovered. I haven't tried it myself, but your if duplicating the assets and placing them at a higher level would probably work as well as anything. You'd only need to duplicate the walls, and maybe a few important console and other props for people to see what the room contains.

Lieutenant
# 25
12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I am looking at building a custom non-starfleet custom map. In effect, I am trying to create an independent base. I was going to use Wall - Generic 3 and/or Wall - Generic Ship 01 for the walls, but all the doors are Federation looking. Any suggestions for what I can use for non-starfleet doors?

Armand Falconer
Career Officer
# 26
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
There are a few non-Federation doors. To find them simply write "door" into the detail objects search and they should all come up. The only trouble is they don't actually open automatically. But what you could do is use them and just have them be closed. Any that you want to have open could simply open based off of an interact or a reach marker.

You're probably going to have to modify the wall spacing to get the doors to work though. You'll also either need to set the ceiling low enough that it's no higher than the top of the door (most of the doors are pretty big though since they are original "barn door" style assets, so the ceiling won't have to be that low), or alternatively you can use a building block wall at the top to cover up any gap.

I'm not sure what type of base you're making, but you could also use the "Doorway - Temple Cave" asset as the doorway, and then put one of the other doors so it sits inside of it.

Lieutenant
# 27
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
But what you could do is use them and just have them be closed. Any that you want to have open could simply open based off of an interact or a reach marker.
I've been giving your idea some thought and was wondering if this would work. Put 2 doors in the same spot. A & Z. A starts visible and Z invisible. Then have 2 reach markers on each side. So the set up would look like R1 R2 A/Z R3 R4. So as you walk R3 would set A to invisible making it look like the door opens. As you walk past, R1 would make Z visible making the door close. As you come back the other way R2 makes Z invisible and R4 makes A visible again. Since reach markers trigger each time you pass as long as they aren't an object, would this give the effect of a door that opens and closes as you approach and depart?

Armand Falconer
Career Officer
# 28
12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, that won't work. The problem is even if the reach markers keep triggering, objects can only appear and disappear once. They don't cycle through the triggers.

If you used more copies of the door it might be possible to pull something off like that, but even so there are limitations, I'm afraid.

Maybe something like this:

Reach Marker 1 (in front of door): Door 1 -> Invisible
Reach Marker 2 (well past door): Door 2 -> Visible
Reach Marker 3 (back in front of door): Door 2 -> Invisible
Reach Marker 4 (well past door): Door 3 -> Visible

Last edited by nagorak; 12-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Captain
# 29
12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
This needs to be stickied. Like, right now.
Career Officer
# 30
12-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Quote:
If I can ask, what did you use to build that transporter on Atlas deck 13? And which assets are the banners/symbols, like the one behind the transporter chief on deck 13? I can't find those, I could only find the faction banners that hang on poles.

Here's the details on the transporter pad for anyone who is interested. All coordinates are relative to the left transporter pad piece, with the exception of Y, which is relative to the floor. I just modified this today, and the alternate version, which is more open is in italics. I think I like it better, so I might change all my transporters to my new version.

Transporter
Transporter - Left - 0, 0.5, 0 (Console - Hologram Podium XL 01)*
Transporter - Top Left - +1.7, 0.5, +2.6, Rot 45
Transporter - Bottom Left - +1.7, 0.5, -2.6, Rot -45
Transporter - Top Right - +4.7, 0.5, +2.6, Rot 135
Transporter - Bottom Right - +4.7, 0.5, -2.6, Rot -135

Alt. Transporter - Top Right - +4.7, 0.5, -3.236, Rot 90
Alt. Transporter - Bottom Right - +4.7, 0.5, -3.236, Rot -90

Transporter Pad - +4.5, 0.1, 0, Rot 45 (Platform - Holographic Display)

Bulkheads not needed for alternate version.
Transporter Bulkhead - Top - +3.2, 0, +5.3 (Building Block Column 5x22x5 03)
Transporter Bulkhead - Bottom - +3.2, 0, -5.3

Federation Logo - +9.6, 0.9, 0, Rot 90 (Detail - Starfleet Floor Logo 01)
Transporter Console - +13, 0.9, 0, Rot -90 (Console - Ship M 06)

Last edited by nagorak; 12-15-2012 at 03:13 AM.