Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 157
# 1 Patience
11-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Like my title, it is the best I could come up with anyways.

!Warning the following is just my opinion!

I keep seeing thread pop up about how PVP needs Marks as rewards, but it is not going to happen yet. Here is my idea why, PVP sucks a little bit right now. If they get a larger portion of their player base to do PVP with Fleet Marks or other rewards most of those new players won?t have any fun. Then there is a chance that it will burn them into never PVPing again when it does get reworked.

I think that PVP should have the best rewards compare to everything else, but it still needs to be a fun and somewhat balanced system before they bait PVE people into PVP. So they keep doing PVP after they start.

Also a side note, I have a good idea for the PVP rep system click power. Cool down is 10 minutes. When the power is triggered it puts ALL universal consoles on a map into cool down.
I am @allenlabarge in game
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 374
# 2
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
My advice: Don't hold your breath. Attention to pvp has been 2.5 years in the waiting, and I see no prospects of anything changing any time soon.
Fancy an exclusive, extended 21 day trial of eve online?
Sign up (heck, it's free for almost a full month, using the link) and see what you think.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 157
# 3
11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh I am not holding my breath lol. I pop into PVP every so often just to make sure I know how to still get my butt kick.

But I do think big changes are coming.


This is how I see STO development.
Beta was Alpha
Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 were closed Beta
Seasons 5, 6, and 7 are open Beta
And I think Season 8 will be the launch of STO.

How long are most MMOs in development before going live?
I am @allenlabarge in game
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,195
# 4
11-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queue38 View Post
I think that PVP should have the best rewards compare to everything else
I'm more of an equivalent kind of guy myself.

PvE: Do X for Y number of times to get Z.
PvP: Do A for B number of times to get C.
C & Z should be equivalent.

Of course, to make such things work better - I'd borrow the slotting system that several other games have for modifiers and such.

On weapons, you would have 1, 2, or 3 slots - you could slot varying modifiers. You could slot 3 Green ACC modifiers while you're working on getting the 3 Purple, etc, etc, etc.

Shields, Engines, and Deflectors would also have those 1, 2, or 3 slots and the ability to slot modifiers.

There might even be the ultra rare (played too damn long - more likely broke out the wallet, meh) 4 slot equipment.

So while the PvE and PvP rewards may come preslotted for what might be best for either PvE or PvP, you could always reslot.

It adds a level of customization, potential for additional revenue for those that do not want to grind, etc, etc, etc - Heck, it might even breathe a little life into crafting, eh?

But yeah, doing something like that would make it far easier to do the A->B->C = X->Y->Z reward thing... they'd just have to take a look a balancing the effort involved in the A->B & X->Y aspects.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 993
# 5
11-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queue38 View Post

This is how I see STO development.
Beta was Alpha
Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 were closed Beta
Seasons 5, 6, and 7 are open Beta
And I think Season 8 will be the launch of STO.

How long are most MMOs in development before going live?
I completely agree in this part, this game is still in BETA.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 157
# 6
11-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkollins View Post
I completely agree in this part, this game is still in BETA.
hey but we made it to "open" beta
I am @allenlabarge in game
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 157
# 7
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
I'm more of an equivalent kind of guy myself.
The only reason I think PVP should have the best rewards it is the hardest to be good at.

PVE is just keybinding everything to spacebar and then hitting the spacebar til everything is dead.

PVP takes some thinking and timing. but that is just what i think it should be. I bet it will be equivalent or very close.
I am @allenlabarge in game
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 434
# 8
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd love to be able to exclusively PvP to advance in this game. For a while I had 5 different characters that I was able to do that with and it was great. Of course the rewards were lower than those available through PvE but it was much more fun. That has changed now and I'm not convinced its a change for the better.

Whereas once you could play the game as you wanted, that isn't the case any longer.

Now I've said all of that so I can say this, as much as I would love more rewards, content, and things like maps, I just don't feel that these things are what PvP most needs right now. So I tend to agree. Maps are just window dressing (lipstick on a pig?) and rewards are like a bribe to shut up and take it. More rewards means a bigger ago farmer problem and I do not care for that...

There are way to many more substantial things to be investing time in right now.
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,195
# 9
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queue38 View Post
The only reason I think PVP should have the best rewards it is the hardest to be good at.

PVE is just keybinding everything to spacebar and then hitting the spacebar til everything is dead.

PVP takes some thinking and timing. but that is just what i think it should be. I bet it will be equivalent or very close.
I'm talking about the reward in the end, though - being equivalent. Not the effort to get the reward. Thus the X->Y->Z and A->B->C. One may have to do X for a longer period of time to get an equivalent reward as somebody doing A.

In the end, it's about not forcing somebody to PvP that does not want to PvP - much like folks that really do not want to PvE should not be forced to PvE. Whether a person wants to PvP or PvE, they should have an avenue for the best gear to do what they enjoy.

Making the best gear available through PvP would never happen (there are far too many PvE players for that to happen) - and - in the end, it would be no different than PvP folks complaining that they have to PvE to get the best gear.

Given the state of things, it's along the lines of not asking for better than what they get nor getting what they get faster.. it's about getting the equivalent based on an equivalent amount of effort.

Heck, I'd even lean toward it requiring slightly more effort - for no other reason than to keep them from AFKing to "earn" their rewards...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 157
# 10
11-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
I'm talking about the reward in the end, though - being equivalent. Not the effort to get the reward. Thus the X->Y->Z and A->B->C. One may have to do X for a longer period of time to get an equivalent reward as somebody doing A.

In the end, it's about not forcing somebody to PvP that does not want to PvP - much like folks that really do not want to PvE should not be forced to PvE. Whether a person wants to PvP or PvE, they should have an avenue for the best gear to do what they enjoy.

Making the best gear available through PvP would never happen (there are far too many PvE players for that to happen) - and - in the end, it would be no different than PvP folks complaining that they have to PvE to get the best gear.

Given the state of things, it's along the lines of not asking for better than what they get nor getting what they get faster.. it's about getting the equivalent based on an equivalent amount of effort.

Heck, I'd even lean toward it requiring slightly more effort - for no other reason than to keep them from AFKing to "earn" their rewards...
ok i get what you are saying now. yes i think the end rewards shouldn't be better just the work of getting to the end.

also what if the people with no kills at the end of a match didn't get any rewards. i am not sure how the kill count works but it would make people play for a little bit atleast.
I am @allenlabarge in game
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 PM.