Career Officer
Just a random thought I had:

For all the talk (for and against) the current end-game system, I know a lot of players who've typically ignored the end-game equipment treadmill. Gaining faction/reknown was something they didn't care about. Raiding was for Vikings and football players from Oakland.

Anyone else like that?

If you go by the old Bartle Test, it seems the whole end-game is generally focused on Achievers and Killers, not so much for Socializers or Explorers...

Looking back at my own gaming history, I've pretty much ignored every end-game I've been presented with. I preferred to do other things, and really, up until the past month or two, I've ignored here as well. Even in my old favorite MMO, City of Heroes, I ignored the end-game; not because of implementation, but because I'd rather do other things.

The only reason I've started on the equipment treadmill for myself is I'm finding it trivially easy to get into, at least the Fleet stuff, and I've recently gotten a D'Kora (my pride and joy). Otherwise, I'm happily DOFFing, exploring Romulus, etc.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Lt. Commander
# 2 me
11-21-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm an explorer first. I'll do team events if they don't have a high learning curve like Mirror Event, Colony Invasion, Fleet Alert, Borg RA's.

If my first experience in a mission is crazy folks screaming and cussing over tactics (Crystalline Entity I'm looking at you), I won't be back.

I associate the Vault with a nutcase that screamed at his whole team before he ever said hi. He literally screamed demands upon spawn in then thanked us in the end for not sucking. Never did the vault again.

I associate STF's with DS9 zone chat and the horrible drop rates people got. Not my cup of tea. I may have actually been good at the content itself however, I'll never know.
Wasn't fun seeing folks fly by me in sector space at warp 40 and be able to make millions more credits on Tour the Galaxy simply because they preferred one part of the game that I didn't. That was poor form on the part of the design team to segregate player types. They've tried to rectify that a bit this season I see with adding omega marks to RA's but now the favoritism regarding dilithium has evolved. I used to be able to make a similar amount through exploring thanks to b'tran, not now.

So in summary, I like the idea of game community, sharing an AH and social zones with occasional teaming. I am however still the rugged individualist that wants to make his own starbase and have a unique adventure.

This probably sums me up:
http://hereticalreflections.wordpres...of-introverts/
Career Officer
# 3
11-22-2012, 01:19 AM
...there is an end game? Must have missed that!
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Come to think of it, me too. Never did raids in WoW. It's just boring to sit there for hours until the healers learn what to do.

But eSTFs are not really endgame. They are challenging 5 man instances. And since I didn't care about the MK XII sets, I just did them for fun, challenge and dilithium bonus. Now it's an endless rep grind and not so motivating anymore. Now it feels more like endgame grinding and I like it less.

So yeah, I am not the endgame grinding type.
Captain
# 5
11-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikahiro View Post

If you go by the old Bartle Test, it seems the whole end-game is generally focused on Achievers and Killers, not so much for Socializers or Explorers...
It makes sense though, socializers and explorers are going to do their thing regardless. You don't need to fashion an endgame for them. Killers and achieves will get bored and quit without something to push them forward.
Career Officer
# 6
11-22-2012, 03:50 AM
I certainly don't adhere to the standard endgame mentality.

I've done each STF a couple of times but I could never see myself doing them multiple times a day, seven days a week. I actually don't mind repetition when it's something I don't really have to focus on, like doing b'tran or something. That way I can focus most of my attention on something else like watching a TV show or listening to a podcast, but repeating missions where I have to turn everything else off and concentrate on in order to succeed at, while fun every now and then, really isn't something I'm willing to repeat ad nauseam.

In terms of STO it doesn't help that I don't even like the STF's Cryptic makes. I played DCUO for six months and did more endgame raids there in that time than I've done in STO since it's gone live. Regardless of DCUO's many poor design choices those raids were amazingly fun to play with some of the most memorable boss fights I've ever enjoyed in an MMOG. However each time I play an STF here it seems I end up fighting the game itself as much as the mobs and boss.
Joined August 2008
Captain
# 7
11-22-2012, 04:38 AM
I usually don't do the endgame stuff. Since I don't have that amount of time to commit into it to pull it off. I used to play WoW, and I never did their raids. It was all I could do was the 5 mans they offered. Plus most of the time. You had to be on a certain day and time, etc. Just to do it. What I do outside the game really defeated that purpose. After hearing some in the chat doing the raid. And reading some of the txts from the mission. Makes me glad I didn't join in. Talk about a lot of fussing and complaining.
Career Officer
# 8
11-22-2012, 04:41 AM
I wouldn't say I ignore end game content, not that there is a lot that is.

I'm generally focused on customisation, any item that gives me a new outfit I HAVE to own.

Being someone who is largely one of the most nit-pickiest users of the tailor, I always want more.

Staying on topic though, I did STF's for the MACO outfit no other reason at all, the original STF's Oh how I miss them, I did those with the fleet I was in, I thoroughly enjoyed doing those STF's compared to these ones. "as many people who did play them will agree".

I do fleet actions on rare occation simply down to the fact that I dislike their Fleet Mark ammount in the drops. being hopeful that Cryptic "have already or may soon be" increasing the ammount given will give some struggling fleets a better grip on steady progress.

As for the Vault... I only ever did 1... yes 1. when cryptic stated that the ship equipment wasn't so called End Game I just never had the will to grind my way through those darn pesky Reman Data Chips <- or whatever they where called.

I'm pretty much a social player I'd much rather climb Bajor, New Romulus and various obsticles on space stations than actually grinding dilithium. before fleet bases I only had around 200k dilithium, said star base sucked that all up, I currently have around 6k and I'm not really bothered.

I'm not a P2W player the only P2W console I have is the one from the Oberth. it suits my science build. I also have the Red Matter Capacitor and well I got that from my Collectors Edition... a nice suprise when all I wanted was the badge

RachelJ88

P.S. - PvP : I enjoy PvP but I'm not Uber PvP or really care that I'm not I do my best and I could probably hold my own against those equal to my level. I don't do the whole PvP "Adapt Or Die" I'm comfortable with my build, we're supposed to be Starship Captains who prepare for the riggors of exploration and unexpected combat. Not specific combat. my tuppence.

Last edited by rachelj88; 11-22-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Captain
# 9
11-22-2012, 05:08 AM
If one ignores the endgame starbase/embassy/reputation grind, what is there left to do? PvP? Blow that for a joke.
Captain
# 10
11-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
If one ignores the endgame starbase/embassy/reputation grind, what is there left to do? PvP? Blow that for a joke.
I'm still working on getting caught up to the current story line on my Fed and KDF. So still plenty to do for me. I'm just now hitting the Breen story. What is taking me so long? I'm taking my time to enjoy the game and what the story has. Also with my life outside the game: work, family, and etc. I can only play so much. So I play during my relax time I have.

Now what I will do after I get caught up to current. I plan on farming Dilth for stuff, Foundry missions, or create a 3rd character. Playing a Tactical Capt. sounds fun. And then I have that Capt. to work on. There is plenty to do other than "End Game". This is what works for me. It may not for others.

Last edited by farmallm; 11-22-2012 at 05:54 AM.