Lt. Commander
# 21
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Of note is that the advanced species on Camus II died out... you guessed it... 200,000 years ago.

When the Iconians were bombarded. When the Borg became cybernetic.
Where's the info that that''s when the Borg went full cyber?
(curious, not disputing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
I'm much more interested in the relationship between the Iconians and the Tholians. My theory is that the Tholians are the Iconians - they're mucking about with crazy dimensional transports, they can destroy Borg with ease*... I bet in the future the Tholians went back in time, became the Iconians, and then went off the radar to assist their past selves in the present time.
*insert image macro of Castle's train of thought jumping off its rails*

I don't think they even need to be temporal loopers to fit, actually. The EU is all over the map in this regard, from Tholians being extragalactic (in the Starfleet Battles setting), related to an ancient civilization in the Taurus Expanse (Vanguard novels - would be located to the west of the Gamma Orionis block, tho, long way away from Iconia, but with the Gate diaspora...), long-lived, short-lived, living not quite in linear time... pretty much anything could be projected onto them at this point. What we've seen of them onscreen suggests even when many other local civilizations were barely puttering around with warp drive and the odd scrap tossed back from he future, they were playing with exotic physics...

/wildmassguessing
Career Officer
# 22
11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Where's the info that that''s when the Borg went full cyber?
(curious, not disputing)

*insert image macro of Castle's train of thought jumping off its rails*

I don't think they even need to be temporal loopers to fit, actually. The EU is all over the map in this regard, from Tholians being extragalactic (in the Starfleet Battles setting), related to an ancient civilization in the Taurus Expanse (Vanguard novels - would be located to the west of the Gamma Orionis block, tho, long way away from Iconia, but with the Gate diaspora...), long-lived, short-lived, living not quite in linear time... pretty much anything could be projected onto them at this point. What we've seen of them onscreen suggests even when many other local civilizations were barely puttering around with warp drive and the odd scrap tossed back from he future, they were playing with exotic physics...

/wildmassguessing
When the Borg first showed up, Guinan said they were hundreds of thousands of years old. The books don't agree with this but that generally has to do with books trying to make the Borg originate on Earth or with humans. This has resulted in timelines that are based on the shows indicating 200,000 years as the minimum age of the Borg.

The Borg's first appearance was within a few episodes of the Iconians. The Iconians' prime weapon was a computer virus. The Borg plot was planned well in advance and was the reason for the mysterious loss of colonies in the neutral zone before... So I think the writers were shooting for the Iconians virus as an anti-Borg measure.

I'd ask Steve Gerber, who created the Iconians, but he died a few years ago. Might be worth asking someone like David Gerrold if the Iconians v. Borg rivalry was planned... Because it seems to have been at least something they were hinting at or would have toyed with. And maybe again later because the Ferengi had a low species number, hinting the Borg had torn through the Alpha Quadrant once before or that the Ferengi had traveled very far.
Career Officer
# 23
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I hit T1 last night on one of my main toons, and was shocked to see this..

Nicely put together little cut scene and subplot. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I like the theory of Future Gut from Enterprise, but agree don't think its him. If the Romluans of the future wanted to manipulate the past why the 22nd century, when they could have went to a bunch of other moments in time to come out on top.

Iconians, possibly. Right now I have too little to base a theory on.

One thing that make me curious, what are these Romulan Data logs I saw mwntioned above, and where do you get them from?

Are these the ones from the Vault missions?
Career Officer
# 24
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter1969 View Post
I hit T1 last night on one of my main toons, and was shocked to see this..

Nicely put together little cut scene and subplot. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I like the theory of Future Gut from Enterprise, but agree don't think its him. If the Romluans of the future wanted to manipulate the past why the 22nd century, when they could have went to a bunch of other moments in time to come out on top.

Iconians, possibly. Right now I have too little to base a theory on.

One thing that make me curious, what are these Romulan Data logs I saw mwntioned above, and where do you get them from?

Well, we don't know the specifics of Future Guy. One book has him part Sulliban, part Reman, and part Romulan.

The producers of Enterprise planned him to be Romulan.

The STO version may be some Reman descended from Obisek or something, trying to ensure he comes into being.

So maybe we're creating Future Guy.
Commander
# 25
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:

IIRC the Romulan Data logs were replaced by Romulan Marks at the start of S7
Career Officer
# 26
11-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Future guy is an intriguing thought, and though I didn't particularly like the temporal cold war storyline when they first started it, it kind of grew on me.

One thing I though after watching Enterprise a number of times, was the fact that Future Guy, did not necessarily HAVE to be Romulan... just because the enemy has pointed ears?

Well, what about the TNG episode, Gambit (?), there is a Vulcan who is the main antagonist, so why can't future guy be a Vulcan form the future who is trying to manipulate the timeline.

Sure, it could also be the Iconians, but I think that would be too obvious. A little known enemy, someone we haven't seen in a while maybe.

My first though would be the little insect like mind creatures from TNG that nearly took over Starfleet. We never saw them again since that Season 1 episode. But I don't think this is their MO.
Captain
# 27
11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Quote:
IIRC the Romulan Data logs were replaced by Romulan Marks at the start of S7
I don't know what the name of the things that used to be received from the Vault are, but the data logs referred to when talking about the lore of New Romulus are data logs just like the ones you get from Commander Viala at the Academy to learn about the Path to 2409, except that they're tinted green and give the history of the Romulans that settled on the planet thousands of years ago.

You get them by turning in New Romulus Research (or something like that) to the New Romulus Historian (southern part of the staging area, go south a bit and a DOff icon will show on the map) and she'll give you a DOff mission that takes WAY too long to complete given how many research things we get.

Seriously, how long is it gonna take to complete a set of New Romulus research logs? I'm only getting one a day, if that.