Commander
# 1 DEM without Marion worthwhile?
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Say it does 50 per hit, and 8 beam cruiser wouldn't get much more than 350dps extra, even to an opponent with a small hull you'd need 10 seconds to do 10% of their hull. Does it need cannon or turrets to become non-trivial?
Lieutenant
# 2
03-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Mix it with FAW and it becomes important with or without Marion. I can tell it makes some difference in the build I am running.
Captain
# 3
03-21-2014, 10:39 PM
The extra damage is mostly meant to help knock down a shield facing quicker, so if I am factoring this correctly based on your example of +50 per hit x 8 BA's at 4 pulses + 1sec recovery (or 5sec per volley) over the course of 30sec. granting a total of 6 possible volleys.

Each volley=50*8*4=1600*6=9600 extra damage over the course of 30sec.

Again my math my be off, but this is how I understand it.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Commander
# 4
03-21-2014, 10:58 PM
The damage bypasses the shield, for a base damage of: 28. 37 or 47 per pulse for 30 sec, which is effected by four things
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Di...rgy_Modulation

If FAW gives say 25% extra for 10 seconds then that helps a little, even 40% of a third of 10K is not much as dps once averaged out over a minute.

Of people that are doing 20k+ damage the important aspect of dem has to be the power boost from the doff.
Captain
# 5
03-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovinspace View Post
The damage bypasses the shield, for a base damage of: 28. 37 or 47 per pulse for 30 sec, which is effected by four things
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Di...rgy_Modulation

If FAW gives say 25% extra for 10 seconds then that helps a little, even 40% of a third of 10K is not much as dps once averaged out over a minute.

Of people that are doing 20k+ damage the important aspect of dem has to be the power boost from the doff.
No it doesn't bypass shields, it helps aid in damaging shields as the name can seem confusing, but shield penetrating damage is the same term they gave for the new destabilizing tetryons.

It doesn't say it in the weapons main description, but in the tool bar or the weapons actual info I am pretty sure it made use of the same term.

But either way shield penetrating damage, is primarily meant to aid in defeating a shield array's health quicker, but with such a crumby description I would assume it also applies to the hull once a shield facing is down, and than throw in marion for better wp mitigation so the damage output is even better per pulse.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
Career Officer
# 6
03-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwraith77 View Post
No it doesn't bypass shields, it helps aid in damaging shields as the name can seem confusing, but shield penetrating damage is the same term they gave for the new destabilizing tetryons.

It doesn't say it in the weapons main description, but in the tool bar or the weapons actual info I am pretty sure it made use of the same term.

But either way shield penetrating damage, is primarily meant to aid in defeating a shield array's health quicker, but with such a crumby description I would assume it also applies to the hull once a shield facing is down, and than throw in marion for better wp mitigation so the damage output is even better per pulse.
It does bypass shields, as can be easily confirmed by combat logs.

Directed Energy Modulation III (from a random ISE):
1,887 attacks
248 criticals
196.68 Hull Damage per Hit
0.0 Shield Damage per Hit

The procs you're talking about are a different effect.

Last edited by lagunad; 03-21-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Captain
# 7
03-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunad View Post
It does bypass shields, as can be easily confirmed by combat logs.

Directed Energy Modulation III (from a random ISE):
1,887 attacks
248 criticals
196.68 Hull Damage per Hit
0.0 Shield Damage per Hit

The procs you're talking about are a different effect.
Well like I said they use the same term for the destabilizing tetryons in one of the tool tips, so I am basing it off of that, and besides when I use the skill of DEM why is it I see quicker shield facing depletion against enemies vs not using it?
Career Officer
# 8
03-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Have now looked through half a dozen ISE logs of people using DEM. It never hits shields.
Captain
# 9
03-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunad View Post
Have now looked through half a dozen ISE logs of people using DEM. It never hits shields.
I don't put to much faith in the parser logs, considering for awhile it kept indicating a 100% ACC even though you did miss at times. AKA combatlogreader!
Commander
# 10
03-22-2014, 12:25 AM
dem only deals hull damage, no matter what some people might like to think or what they think they notice.

dem also can parse at 4k in a high dps ise.

considering that your 4k dem could just be higher dps than an entire pug match combined, yeah i'd say its worth it.