Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
To the OP

Watch the TNG episode about the phased
Cloaking device

It caused a mutiny aboard a starship

That's why the Federation can't have a phased
Cloak , the Romulans had nothing to do with its
Creation It Is federation technology
This pretty much sums up what went on the Pegasus.

http://youtu.be/2aaubVlhNK4?t=2s

Captain
# 22
11-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
The Federation, the Romulans, and Kilingons were allies during a big war....The Dominion war...and even with them losing the Federation still only had one ship with a cloak....so just because the "War" ends does not mean the Federation will get to use cloaks like candy.
Possible - but the selling of ships is all about the gimmicks - it's just an idea.

Anyways do you think that the "resolution" to the KDF storyline in Season 8 will be an end to the war? Everything seems to be pointing that way.
Career Officer
# 23
11-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Stahl keeps dropping hints of a "resolution" to the KDF storyline - add in the mutally working together with the Feds against the Borg and now New Romulus = he has 1 plan in mind the end to the War in season 8 - which the KDF story line was about the deception and start of the war - the resolution would be the end of the war.

So it's over in a few months - Feds can have their toy cloaks and it won't matter balance wise.
Let's see:
the reason for the limited (that's what the description of the Fed cloak console says) deployment of cloaks on Fed ships was related to the war with the Klingons.
When there is no war there is no need for furhter deployment.

It may very well we a condition for the ending of hostilities that the Fedeation once again has to abandon cloaking tech.
Remember, when it became public that Federation officers had secretly been working with cloaking tech after the destruction of Romulus, the Federation invited representatives from both sides.

Worst case: cloaking devices on existing ships have to be removed.
Republic Veteran
# 24
11-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Possible - but the selling of ships is all about the gimmicks - it's just an idea.

Anyways do you think that the "resolution" to the KDF storyline in Season 8 will be an end to the war? Everything seems to be pointing that way.
Well being it's not a real war, cause it's always being put on hold for something. If only real life was like that the world would be a better place.

As for the Phase cloak....it's pointless I see no use for it in PVE.....so let's just bring out what it's really about....having The Feds get their hands on a Battle Cloak, and cut out the Phased part of it.

There is a Phase generator on the KDF side...and I believe the reason the dev's don't let it pass through walls is because they don't want to have problems with players getting stuck inside planets or something.

Last edited by neoakiraii; 11-23-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Captain
# 25
11-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Well being it's not a real war, cause it's always being put on hold for something. If only real life was like that the world would be a better place.

As for the Phase cloak....it's pointless I see no use for it in PVE.....so let's just bring out what it's really about....having The Feds get their hands on a Battle Cloak, and cut out the Phased part of it.

There is a Phase generator on the KDF side...and I believe the reason the dev's don't let it pass through walls is because they don't want to have problems with players getting stuck inside planets or something.

So there would be know way to add code that would not let a player de-cloak or re-phase while in contact with an object?

there's lots of coding that's possible - look at that big purple/pink squid on New Romulus - you could walk right through it - a bug I know but I'm sure the coding exists.

But we are in agreement that selling new ships is about the next big gimmick?

Last edited by born2bwild1; 11-23-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Career Officer
# 26
11-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Let's see:
the reason for the limited (that's what the description of the Fed cloak console says) deployment of cloaks on Fed ships was related to the war with the Klingons.
When there is no war there is no need for furhter deployment.

It may very well we a condition for the ending of hostilities that the Fedeation once again has to abandon cloaking tech.
Remember, when it became public that Federation officers had secretly been working with cloaking tech after the destruction of Romulus, the Federation invited representatives from both sides.

Worst case: cloaking devices on existing ships have to be removed.
Not a credible scenario. Name something that has been invented during a time of war and then been removed once that war has ended. E.G. Radar was developed and then implemented on the ground and later in aircraft before and during WWII, can you honestly see this asset being abandoned once the war was over? The only thing I can think of is nuclear weapons, but here it's just the quantity that have been reduced, there is still more than enough to wipe out civilisation.

No, once an asset is created and found to be of use it will remain.

As for why it would be phased, well then watch the pegasus episode again, plenty of reasons given there, but the obvious one is to be able to hide inside a planetary body, no amount of tachyon detection fields will find you if you're inside a moon, this can be for defense or as part of an ambush.

With Iconians coming we will need all factions united and possesing the very latest tech to beat them, hell we may even invite the Borg along to the party (borg faction thereafter maybe? LOL)

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 27
11-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Not a credible scenario. Name something that has been invented during a time of war and then been removed once that war has ended. E.G. Radar was developed and then implemented on the ground and later in aircraft before and during WWII, can you honestly see this asset being abandoned once the war was over? The only thing I can think of is nuclear weapons, but here it's just the quantity that have been reduced, there is still more than enough to wipe out civilisation.
HMM, chemical weapons after World War 1.
Not even Hitler used those during World War 2.
Empire Veteran
# 28
11-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Five ships since season 7 started, an andorian one on the way plus another for the anniversary freebie.

"We are the United Federation of Planets give us all of your toys."

(If you want battlecloak join the KDF or use the Adapted Honour Guard 3 part set).
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Career Officer
# 29
11-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
HMM, chemical weapons after World War 1.
Not even Hitler used those during World War 2.
Maybe I should qualify it by saying something that one side only has in regular use.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 30
11-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Maybe I should qualify it by saying something that one side only has in regular use.
Didn't like my answer did you?
Your radar example didn't fit the bill either.
Nor does the cloaking device.

Last edited by misterde3; 11-23-2012 at 03:07 AM.