Empire Veteran
# 61
11-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhammand View Post
^Finally, someone who knows a little about Andorians.

I am a big fan of the Andorians and I would be very upset with them having a cloaking device in one of their ships. It's not cannon and would diminish their role as a founder of the UFP to break the Treaty of Algeron so flagrantly. Just make it a ship worthy of the Imperial Guard. Give it some serious firepower and a fair amount of hull.

If you are looking for a gimmick for it, maybe a console that increases critical chance as the hull % goes down. Andorians are a people of passion, so it would make sense for them to throw everything they have at it when the chips are down.
Glad I reread this because this is a good Andorian idea. One of the things I like about Andorians is they would rather slash a knife across your chest than plunge it in your back. It's not just about justice or vengeance with them but the challenge and the struggle that go with justice and vengeance as well. This idea would underscore that well.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.

Last edited by piwright42; 11-23-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Career Officer
# 62
11-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Well... There is no Treaty of Algeron anymore.

However, I agree it doesn't seem very Andorian to cloak.

If you want a Fed cloaking ship, I think it would make more sense to link it to the many KLINGONS in Starfleet, who might well bring Klingon sensibilities to the Starfleet ships they design.

And if you want a Bird of Prey, get ready for it to have Bird of Prey drawbacks.

I think the interesting question there is what changes Starfleet Command would propose if Klingons in Starfleet presented them with Bird of Prey designs. How do you make it FEEL different?

I don't think the cloak would be an issue for Starfleet since they no longer recognize any treaties outlawing them and they have cloaks in service.
Lieutenant
# 63
11-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Glad I reread this because this is a good Andorian idea. One of the things I like about Andorians is they would rather slash a knife across your chest than plunge it in your back. It's not just about justice or vengeance with them but the challenge and the struggle that go with justice and vengeance as well. This idea would underscore that well.
Thanks, that's the vibe I got from everything I have seen/read about them over the years.
Empire Veteran
# 64
11-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

However, I agree it doesn't seem very Andorian to cloak.

If you want a Fed cloaking ship, I think it would make more sense to link it to the many KLINGONS in Starfleet, who might well bring Klingon sensibilities to the Starfleet ships they design.

And if you want a Bird of Prey, get ready for it to have Bird of Prey drawbacks.

I think the interesting question there is what changes Starfleet Command would propose if Klingons in Starfleet presented them with Bird of Prey designs. How do you make it FEEL different?

I don't think the cloak would be an issue for Starfleet since they no longer recognize any treaties outlawing them and they have cloaks in service.
Hope you put your flame retardant undies on cause I know you were around for the Fed BoP forum fires shortly after original launch.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.
Captain
# 65
11-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
The Romulan Star Empire have not ceased to exist as a entity, even if in practice the Romulans are in no shape to be able to enforce the treaty.

However STO itself decided to maintain the treaty, the Federation will not continue to develop Cloaking technology but ships that do possess that ability will continue to do so in order to explain the Galaxy-X and the Defiant-R that were shown having those abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Path to 2409: Volume 16, Chapter 2
After the revelation that Starfleet was testing a cloaking device, tensions between the Federation, Romulans and Klingons were at their highest point since the destruction of the Romulan homeworld in 2387. After a full inquiry, six members of Starfleet Security were court-martialed.

It took three months for Federation President Aennik Okeg to convince the Romulans and the Klingons to send representatives to a summit to discuss the situation. When the meeting finally began, Okeg made the Federation's position clear. He apologized for the experiments into cloaking technology, and said that he had signed an executive order banning all research into or creation of Federation cloaking technology.

"The narrow legal view may be that the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed," Okeg said. "The Romulan Star Empire we knew is gone, and you are a new people. What has not changed is the Federation's commitment to peace."
And another thing, the Pegasus episode was in part created EXPLICIT to explain why the Federation had no cloaking technology despite having acquired it in TOS.
Captain
# 66
11-24-2012, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
No phased battlecloak. No regular battlecloak. No cloak at all. An Andorian ship would be an Imperial Guard ship, not Starfleet, and I see no reason why they'd have technology that Starfleet itself rarely or never uses.
Well, there's nothing to say it couldn't be Starfleet as well. Starfleet is a Federation-wide service, and Andoria and Andorian shipyards are in the Federation. Some could be commissioned for Starfleet, some could be commissioned for whatever the modern version of the Imperial Guard is called - I expect we'll have a choice of which registry to use.

But yes - it would be silly to expect a substantial and uncharacteristic feature like cloaking on Andorian ships.