Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
OK time for some "constructive" for a change, prepare for reading text!

Pre F2P this game had a huge Problem.
It forced Players to play specific content (that they might not enjoy at all) to get a certain type of currency, that had limited use at specific Vendors.
Once you got your content specific rewards there was no reason to return, even if you enjoyed the content.
A lot of the various currencies even were specific to a certain level range.

After a long time a Endgame currency got introduced "Emblems", 500 of these would get you a Free C-Store Ship, that idea never went beyond the Refit Ships that you can get for Free now with the 600 Day Veteran Token.

With F2P all of that changed!
Dilithium!
Hooray our Savior is here!

"Dilithium is a time based currency, spend time in the game, get Dilithium!"
That was the deal we were told with F2P.

Finally it did no longer matter if i spend my time in B'Tran, or if i wanted to play STFs or Foundry or whatever!

As always with Cryptic the implementation was half thought through and incomplete implemented in a rushed attempt to get it out the door, and then no longer bothered with to get the next feature out of the door.

Now with Season 7 the approach of Cryptic has officially changed.

"Dilithium Ore is an in-game currency that is given out as a reward for completing missions of Cryptic?s choosing."

Romulan Marks
OR Fleet Marks
OR Borg Marks
OR Dilithium
OR an insufficient amount of 2 of the above.

and just like that we are back to what we tried to get away from!

The game, tells me again what i have to play, how long i have to play and how often i am allowed to play, by timegated dailies, timegated reputation system projects etc. etc.

i am not OK with this.
Not at all!

Season 7 Dilithium Goals
- "Make Dilithium more available to all level 50 players"
- "Make Dilithium rewards balanced and consistent. No specific content should be aberrantly more efficient than others."

Then why is it that plenty of content is LESS efficient?
If plenty of content is less efficient or not effective at all, than any content that rewards any of it IS more efficient, and by that alone, your own approach already sabotaged that goal.

Of course that line was only there to say, NO EXPLOITS ALLOWED!

------------------

I ALWAYS want Dilithium and i want it for EVERYTHING!

"Dilithium OR Romulan Marks" is not acceptable, only "Dilithium AND ****" is!

I do not only want Dilithium for the 3 specific missions the Dev's have selected to be the chosen ones!

I do not want Dilithium to be the deciding factor what content i play,
Dilithium was supposed to be the Solution to this, now it is part of the Problem.

I want Dilithium to be a passive background thing i don't have to even think about,
no matter what i play i want to get an appropriate amount of it for the time it takes,
therefore i could choose myself what type of Content i play, be that Foundry or STFs or Fleetactions or Episode Missions or even sitting at ESD just chatting with my Fleetmembers! ...or flying around in Sector Space DOffing!

STO client on, log in character -> Dilithium starts flowing!

Cryptic is clearly unable to do the math properly and consistently over all quests in the game, and they are even unable to stick longer than a few Seasons with a set approach to game design.
(the Borg STF's have now changed for the 3rd time!)

I do not expect this latest "Reputation System" approach to last longer than 3 Seasons either until somebody thinks it sucks and wants to change it up again.

It feels like every time somebody has a new idea it gets implemented on the latest content, resulting in a game that feels like a puzzle, every piece of Content has it's own weird reward System, every time something new is released it gets a new currency to force (direct? lure?) players to play the new shiny content...

Here is my suggestion, // better?
it meets the set goals for Season 7 by Cryptic AND is a permanent Solution to all the headaches of how much Dilithium what Quest should reward.

A passive Dilithium Ticker that just hangs up in the top left corner of the screen that ticks away for an hour or two until those 8000 refined for the day are full (and after that it keeps ticking but only gives unrefined for the next day), it's passive, running all the time, while only logged in to your character, it would solve ALL dilithium problems of any Quest! NO MORE EXPLOITS EVER!

Cryptic could exactly calculate how much time the average player spends in STO, how much Dilithium they want to give him and set a Dilithium per minute value that suits their goals.

New Options:

There would be a double dilithium multiplier in the latest shiny content or content that Cryptic feels like highlighting for PR reasons, at least for a while.
That could include the latest shiny STF, spotlighted Foundry Missions, Episode Replay week, the hourly Event Calendar....

It does not have to be a double dilithium multiplier either, it could be a x1.2 multipler.

Difficulty settings could matter.
Normal Difficulty = Dilithium x1.0
Advanced Difficulty = Dilithium x1.1
Elite Difficulty = Dilithium x1.2

More Challenge = better Rewards.

If just sitting at ESD being idle already gives you dilithium that also solves certain problems.

- No more reason for AFKers to annoy players in the PvE/PvP Queue (they can now do their AFK thing annoying no one!)
- Roleplayers could now roleplay all they want, without bothering with having to do missions for some currency.
- DOffers could now be DOffing away all day without bothering with Dilithium (the only way to get your 8000 full by only DOffing is to do an absurd amount of Contraband Turn Ins and everything else is so low that it doesn't make a dent.)
- You could play Foundry Missions how long or short you want all day long and get an APPROPRIATE reward for it.
- Even ALT farming would now no longer be a problem, because you can only spend so much TIME, sure when your 8000 ticker is full, you could log out and continue with the next char, but in that time you do not earn anything with the other character and therefore have no unrefined for tomorrow and need to come back tomorrow anyway.

Result = You can play as casual or as hardcore as you want, as long as you spend TIME playing, you will get a standard amount of "time based currency", maybe a bit more if you participate in certain highlighted activities, but you don't have to.

And if you want some kind of Marks for the Reputation System, well you can still play those new shiny Romulan Mark Missions, without bothering about not getting any Dilithium from them!

The only concern for the player would now be how they spend 2 or 3 hours a day in STO.

Last edited by zerobang; 11-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
11-23-2012, 05:50 AM
I actually kind of like this idea. It sounds like it still keeps the 8k cap on dilithium per day. If you play x amount per day you get the 8k, if you play more then you're ahead of the game tomorrow or whenever you next log on, even giving you the chance to get the 8k if you don't log on for the x amount of time.

The only downfall I see to this is that if it gets implemented the cost of items would most likely have to go up to compensate for people having a more steady supply of dilithium. Not to mention I could see this having serious if not crippling ramifications to the Zen for Dilithium exchange.
Lieutenant
# 3
11-23-2012, 05:50 AM
This sounds great in theory...but I can't see cryptic giving dilith for free and if they did you can bet they will nerf you hard some place else. Secondly, if they'd try to implement it, it probably wouldn't work as intended. Cryptic has left a bad impression when it comes to changing or upgrading stuff. Most recently with the Reputation System....how do you only fix part I and II and leave part III, IV, and V the same...you know they were able to see how many ppl were approaching T2 or had passed it. Everytime, EVERYTIME, cryptic has given something it comes at a cost to the player. I think we should just agree to give cryptic some time to catch up with itself and fix the problems they introduced with S7.
Commander
# 4
11-23-2012, 06:03 AM
This is a good idea. Suddenly, Dilithium is no longer a problem, and people can enjoy the game how they want.

Dan Stahl reckons it takes around 4 hours to hit the 8k cap. That works. 2000 Dilithium per hour, just sitting ticking over. And, as you said, it would also help solve a number of other problems, like the AFK'ers in STFs, or being pushed into specific content.

I think if they were going to do this though, they would need to change the AFK rules. I imagine it would be pretty easy to set up some kind of script which would make your character jump every ten minutes or so, which would lead to people logging in, then going to work and having 2 days worth of Dilithium sitting there when they return. So, they would have to make it so people got logged out after about 10 minutes, and that only a significant amount of action (loading screen, combat, interaction with an NPC, console, whatever) would be enough to break AFK status.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Nice idea, but it is very vulnerable to being botted - programs that simulate mouse/keyboard inputs would be able to farm 24/7, switching between characters on a timer to milk the maximum out of the system - you would start seeing huddles of toons behaving like penguins at the beam in spawns as the programs keep from being marked as idle by periodically making small WSAD inputs.

This would also be susceptible to multi-boxing, using multiple f2p accounts to farm dill to buy zen, to buy keys to mail to main account, or sell to other players for RL cash.

Making the game easy to farm by professional botters would not be a good move IMHO.
Rihannsu
# 6
11-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymonkley View Post
Nice idea, but it is very vulnerable to being botted - programs that simulate mouse/keyboard inputs would be able to farm 24/7, switching between characters on a timer to milk the maximum out of the system - you would start seeing huddles of toons behaving like penguins at the beam in spawns as the programs keep from being marked as idle by periodically making small WSAD inputs.

This would also be susceptible to multi-boxing, using multiple f2p accounts to farm dill to buy zen, to buy keys to mail to main account, or sell to other players for RL cash.

Making the game easy to farm by professional botters would not be a good move IMHO.
this

and also Dill is so easy to get, and the rate is just fine.
There is PVE single player content, PVP, PVE group content in space AND ground, DOFFing.. you can choose how you earn your dill.

don't fix what is not broken.

i am not a big DOFFer, but i know the contraband mission for 2k, then 1 mission for 1000, one for 750 dill, 2 missions for 500, several missions for 250, 100 and various small missions for 50.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 11-23-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
11-23-2012, 06:47 AM
I did read some time ago that accounts would be closed if one IP used more than 2 STO Accounts.
That should get rid of any "multiboxing" users.

I remember reading something like that in the German sub-forum, but it was never mentioned in the English main-forum. *not sure if anything ever happened after the announcement*

Botting is against the EULA/TOS, if Cryptic is unable to enforce their own rules that should not result in Problems for legit Players.

AFKers... yes this is the only problem of the idea,
Cryptic would actually have to finally come up with a working solution for this one.
They have not done anything to get AFKers out of the PvE/PvP queues, so it can't be that big of an issue for them if players earn dilithium being AFK, they do that all the time already!

Also... a Computer costs money if it's active, Power costs money,
for that alone, letting your PC run to collect dilithium only moves the RL $ bill from PWE to your actual Power Bill (nice for you if mommy and daddy are paying that for you).
Not very intelligent if you ask me, not long term viable anyway.

Also, your Power Supply could catch fire and burn your House down while you are at work, it is NEVER a good idea to go out of your house while your Computer is running unattended!
(unlikely but stranger stuff has happened)
imho not worth it for a lousy 50cent per day amount of dilithium.

In the end, this would only be done by a small minority, far smaller than the amount of people who did the Foundry Clickies and Cryptic didn't even care about those for a Year.

Hmm...
maybe the dilithium multiplier of the Ticker could decrease if you stay too long inside one Zone, not advancing any Quests, and only increase slowly again if activity picks back up, as a kind of penalty.

And obviously if the existing IDLE timer starts running, say over 5 minutes (everybody should be allowed a short bio break, or reading excessive Foundry dialogs) the Ticker stops.
If the game can tell you've been idle for an hour to log you out it can stop the ticker if you've been idle for 5 minutes without much headache.
Rihannsu
# 8
11-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
I did read some time ago that accounts would be closed if one IP used more than 2 STO Accounts.

I remember reading something like that in the German sub-forum, but it was never mentioned in the English main-forum. *not sure if anything ever happened after the announcement*
hmm very bad cause in our household there are sometimes 3 people playing STO. sometimes even 4, when a friend of mine comes with her laptop - all of them behind one router.

we did the same with WOW, TSW, Bloodline Champions and other games and nobody EVER banned us. Why should they.. ?

EDIT:
.................................................. .................................................. .................................
anyway - the more i do read what you have to say, the more i am against it.
i want to know WHAT i am earning Dill for, HOW am i doing it, and WHY.

I'm capable of having my 9k together in far less than 4 hours you stated as your approximate time.

So i am sorry to tell you that you do not play the game RIGHT. If your goal is to earn Dill, of course.

Because i too sometimes only play foundry or am just flying around without any goal.

Seems some people are so Success oriented they forgot how to just plain HAVE FUN.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................

What is this stupid idea of penalizing people for being idle? WTF?
Im often idle when i am answering an email, reading it first of course, doing web research, watching a video, having a phone, cooking, making coffee... etc.

Your idea seems like a proposal to add an Archeology Ticker to your toon in WOW.
The devs have the right to state rewards for doing certain activities. They have done it.

You don't like it? Your problem.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 11-23-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
11-23-2012, 07:05 AM
as i said it was written in the GERMAN forum only, and i have no idea if they actually ever followed up on that statement, or if it was just hot air.
Empire Veteran
# 10
11-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
I know families where both parents and children are playing STO on separate accounts. From behind a common NAT router they would all seem to be using the same IP. I think they would be pretty upset if they were denied playing.