Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Bite (Gorn only)
Borg Neural Blast (Liberated Borg only)
Mind Meld (Vulcans only)
Nerve Pinch (Vulcans only)
Pounce (Caitains and Ferasans)
Rapture (Letheans only)
Seduce (Orion Females only)
Spirit Walk (Rigelians only) - Provides a Damage resistance buff and HoT when used.

Telekinetic (Letheans, or Aliens for either side) - Does a small amount of physical damage, but provides a large, guaranteed knockback. Can also expose a target. It's CD can be reduced by the Dr. Sibak DOFF.

Bite, I guess is useful as a player. I tried Bite on an expose and really did some nice damage.

Borg Neural Blast, always loved this ability. Though sometimes it annoys me my Borg BOFF has better. And sometimes do wish it gets a little extra umph.

Mind Meld and Never Pinch, never tried it as a player, but seen it used to quite effectively.

Pounce, Kitties sure love to jump. See people use it all the time to get in areas that everyone else cannot. Which is annoying in PvP when you get a sniper on the roof.

Rapture, always hated this in PvP, because it can do some nasty damage. In PvE, seems NPCs laugh it off.

Seduce, of all abilities, this one is has to be THE MOST useful ability in STO. People use it all the time in STFs to help take down Elite Borg Drones with ease and I seen this have a hillarious use in Indirect PvP.

Sprit Walk, not sure.

Also you forgot Tellarite Pig Headed. Which prior to the nerf, it was useful. Now it seems its a wasted ability.
Rihannsu
# 22
11-24-2012, 03:33 PM
MALE Orions are stuck with physical strength instead of Seduce.... Orions are unique in that they have different required traits for males and females.

anyways, I like stabbity death.... But traits that have a cooldown in minutes suck....

But yeah, like Leviathan said, passives don't really do a whole lot. Especially space, since they're little more than +x to stat y. Or in the case of Joined Symbiote, +x to a, b, and c, and +y to d, e, f, and g....

Yeah, I wish I was kidding about that, but I'm not. Space traits are all stat bonuses.

Oh yeah, here's a list: http://www.stowiki.org/Trait_chart It's missing Ferasans, but aside from telepathy they're pretty similar to Caitians.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
11-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
MALE Orions are stuck with physical strength instead of Seduce.... Orions are unique in that they have different required traits for males and females.
But it's still an optional trait that males can use.
Rihannsu
# 24
11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Oh right... Seduce is different from Seductive. Female Orions have Seductive as a mandatory trait. Seduce is an optional trait for male and female orions.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 25
11-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I found most of them to have such a small chance of being useful that I never bothered caring.

I will mirror the love for Bite. Great way to get through that opening KDF mission.
# 26
11-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Ok, seems I was mistaken about Seduce being for females only. But I didn't include Pig headed, this list was only for activated abilities, not passives. Or else that list would've been much longer.

I did play a bit on my Gorn earlier, and gave Bite a second try, and it is as good as you all say, through and through.

But giving these abilities to the species they can come on, wouldn't be forcing it on them. Well...it would, but they shouldn't take up slots is what I mean. So there is more advantages to using some species, as we do now, but for new reasons. As it stands, Alien is more or less the best choice, because you can use Efficient Captain, Warp Theorist, Accurate, and Elusive all on one character.

Honestly, it'd really require a full reworking of all the traits in game, to be useful no matter what. Which probably won't happen anytime soon. Though I do have an idea about how to make this happen, but I'll hold off for now.

Still, I feel Rapture can be quite potent.

Captain
# 27
11-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Honestly, it'd really require a full reworking of all the traits in game, to be useful no matter what. Which probably won't happen anytime soon. Though I do have an idea about how to make this happen, but I'll hold off for now.
We've needed one for a while. By all means, share.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 28
11-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
We've needed one for a while. By all means, share.
I will later on. Probably would mess up half my stuff just trying to figure out what to type. When the mind has been allowed to sleep, then I can tell my idea much better.

Empire Veteran
# 29
11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Ok, as we all know, most traits are kind of meh. We choose ones like Efficient Captain, Accurate, etc, because the others aren't as useful, including most innate traits we have. In most games with traits (or variations there of), they add a distinct advantage in one area to be better at that, at the cost of leaving a vulnerability.

As it stands now, most of these traits are for ground only, and not as many folks like doing ground, hence, why there are so many alien captains.

My proposal is this:

Give each race, except alien, it's own unique ground and space trait. Each race would be different from the others, to keep them from being copies. Humans have this right now, with their Leadership in space, and Teamwork on the ground. Two unique traits, each is useful, and both are unique to Humans.

Also, any race that could have an extra power, like Gorn with Bite, would be an extra bonus, it wouldn't take up any trait slots, another advantage of running certain species. The exception would be aliens not getting Telekinesis innate.

Liberated Borg are another good example of species with a good space and ground trait. They have the Efficient Captain trait, and Borg Nanites on the ground. Those two things are quite useful, though I will say that the Borg Efficiency should be greater, to make them more worth using.

Going on the Gorn again, they have TOO many traits pre-chosen. My idea would combine Cold Blooded and Reptilian Strength into one (with the bonuses of both), call it like...Reptilian Physiology. That would be their ground trait (dropping the resilient, except if you chose to take it). Then they would have Bite as an innate power, plus their own unique space trait.

As a side thing, once you chose your species, you would also get to choose a unique, class-based trait. This is based on an idea I had in the past about your captain's 'career' would affect him as a captain; like a Warp Core Engineer would be much better at handling and enhancing the warp core, as compared with a...Flight Deck Officer. Aliens would still have access to this as a trait as well.

It could also include class-based traits, like 'Stubborn Engineer: Anytime a subsystem is disabled, has a 5% chance to immediately restore the subsystem after 2 seconds'. Only an engineer could choose that, but it would still be useful regardless.

Now, some traits would have a negative effect sometimes. Like...the Borg Efficiency, if that was boosted a good amount compared to the other one, it would be good for the ship itself, but maybe not so much for the crew. Running under a 'tight ship' might not be as good for crew morale, and as such, crew recovery could be lessened, or something else.

Once all this was chosen, you would then have 2 choices of what you wanted at this point. It'd be from the pools we have now, but made universal across all species. Aliens could have their current choice of four. If some species might be made 'OP' with this, then keeping the list as-is wouldn't hurt things too much. Even so, making it more universal would help you really choose and truly specify what you want your captain to do.