Republic Veteran
Is it possible to either restrict these to only level 50 characters or group up according to level? I know you can "level adjust" to someone on the team, however there is no way a level 30 character is going to pull their weight in one of these events. Their ship is not equipped with high level gear nor do they have the slots they would at higher level ships.

Yes I know it is possible to complete these with a handicapped teammate but that doesn't mean it should be. Some times you get unlucky with the queue and random selection of enemy. Next thing you know you have one or two non-level 50 teammates and you're going up against Tholians.

Long story short, please separate the queues based on level. Level matching does not equal actually being at that level (or any where near it for that matter).
Vel'Drin (AKA Romulan Dukat)
R.R.W. Novus Legatum - Romulan Republic (Fed Aligned)
Original Join Forum Date: August 2008

Last edited by seldrin; 11-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Captain
# 2
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I wish they would do that, but for some reason they didn't.

Right now the only way to preset everyone's level is to make a Private Queue. Which, I might add, don't work at the moment.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 3
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
what? You really want to cripple Klingon fleet advancement by a back-door method, you stinking feds?

Counterargument: The Fleet Mark events, with the mixed levels, is working exactly as it SHOULD, since it is NOT AN INDIVIDUAL EVENT.

Maybe you should just focus on grinding your rep, that way you don't ever have to share a team with anyone you consider 'beneath you' outside of STF's, where, put honestly, I've observed mostly-fed and all-fed teams tend to fail more often and more quickly (and catastrophically) than Klink-teams and mostly-klink teams.

Something about not talking to each other except to bicker, trash-talk, and toss insults.

Having visited my not-often-used Fed characters the other night, I observed the following in grinding FM for my Fedside Fleet...

You people do not talk to each other. you don't say "Hi" and you don't stop to even pass the two-letter post-game "gg" at mission success. Half the time one or more VICE ADMIRALS seemed to never leave either the spawn point, or Respawning/unconscious state until the mission was nearly finished.

Not a scientific sample, but compared to my more usual haunts (Klinkdom), wherein it's considered RUDE not at LEAST greet your Pug-team REGARDLESS of level, and where most often two or three will burn down the kick timer at the end discussing the mission, what worked, what didn't, etc ect...

Y'all seem to have entirely missed the whole IDEA of "Fleet Event" vice the more usual "Individual Event", and as for at least TRYING to act like a team? forget it.

It's not a conspiracy to deprive you of Max Fleetmarks, y'all just miss the entire point of the exercise including WHY IT AWARDS MARKS AT ALL.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
11-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Those Lts are often pulling their weight when a VA isn't (especially in incursion)
Too many VA's bring down the tholians or the borg and then its upto the lower ranks to sort it out
Captain
# 5
11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
"Admiral" and "General" STO are just words attached to make a level number look snazzy, but in the REAL WORLD, Officers (as in, people of rank) in a situation modeled like your Fleet Mark events, are supposed to provide guidance to lower ranking personnel, this guidance is called "Leadership" and you don't excercise leadership effectively by sulking in the turbolift, or haring off on your own to leave the lower ranks unsupported and unsupervised. In post-battle situations or post-crisis periods, an "Admiral" should be providing some sort of after-action discussion, guidance, and what we call "Training" to persons of lower rank with whom he or she has been grouped.

Which is also attached to this basic concept of "Leadership", which is not reflected in the artificial ranks the game engine just hands out for being able to hit a spacebar real often.

What the Fleetmark events DO, is force these artificially promoted spacebar hitters, into a situation where actually acting LIKE AN OFFICER can be of significant value to themselves-but, being spacebar-hitters and not having actually earned the rank, most of 'em do not get the idea that "Fleet" is not "ME".

Just because you've hit Level 50 and ground your way up to some snazzy gear (or bought it on the Z-store) does not mean you're better than some guy who's just ranked 30. It means you've been hitting your spacebar and "F" key a lot, or that you have access to a credit card with a decently high limit.

The underlying concept of random, no-ranks-restricted grouping, is to develop the skills that the story missions talk about, but do not, under ANY regime, actually develop.

Means learning to form, join, and maybe even LEAD a team, for a common goal, against a common enemy, from scratch, using whatever happens to drop in your lap.

THIS is why it pays Fleetmarks instead of Dilithium or EC.

SOME fleets get the idea on their own, some don't, and some players make a lot of noise demonstrating that they really do not understand what it's about...because it's about CHALLENGE.

Is it really a big surprise that the strong PvP fleets are outperforming the fleets with no PvP involvement?

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
11-29-2012, 03:16 AM
They aren't

the RP fleets are doing better than most
Captain
# 7
11-29-2012, 03:47 AM
patrickngo has a good point. though i wouldn't pinpoint it on "leadership"
i think it is basically player skill and gameplay/mechanics understanding mixed with teamwork.
A lvl 30 skilled player will undoubtably outperform a rainbow cruiser with a lvl 50 captain that startet playing a month prior.

I have yet to see a RP fleet that can hold up to a PVP fleet at difficult PVE content like no win or hive. Sure there are probably good and skilled players in both, but 90% of RP players that think they are good, actually really aren't.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 8
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
"Leadership" was the best term I could come up with for what I was trying to describe.

Survivor of Romulus
# 9
11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
a True RPer will LOSE no win
purely because its not supposed to be winable
Republic Veteran
# 10
11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
There fixed my post to only refer to levels, not ranks. This is an MMOG. I don't have a problem working together with people. I don't have a problem communicating in my team. And I will grant that some people do better on lower level toons than some at max level. However those "prodigy" low levels are few and far between. And even a rainbow cruiser, while not optimal, can do a decent amount of damage without too much effort.

I don't have too much difficulty with the lower levels joining in a group if we get Klingons or Orions. But when we start fighting Tholians that's another story. Tholians can be a pain as it is but throw in one or two characters in the group who aren't even level 30? It can be nearly impossible even with direction.

Ever create a foundry mission? If so, have you noticed that based on the type of enemies you put in it, there are level restrictions on what level a player can be before they access it? Granted I am no foundry savant but it gives me the impression that those NPC's are meant for higher level players due to some sort of difficulty that comes inherent with them.

Perhaps if they wish to keep the system in place as is, maybe they could limit the type of enemies you can get based on the level of the players. Or instead of matching our higher level they could match us at the lower level player. (They won't do that last one because the level matching system really doesn't work to "even" the playing field out.)
Vel'Drin (AKA Romulan Dukat)
R.R.W. Novus Legatum - Romulan Republic (Fed Aligned)
Original Join Forum Date: August 2008