Commander
# 11
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
From what I just read up on it (yes, I play 2 KDF characters, one an LG, and I'm doing a little ship window shopping), the Bortas'qu is the KDF equivalent of a Beached Space Whale.

If anything gets in front of it, it's toast and I mean a whole loaf of toast...but if it has to move it's lazier and slower than an old cat.

Ya know..that about sums it up. Old, fat lazy cat....
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Captain
# 12
12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
For people that can manage the turn rate like the op it is an excellent ship. You give up the manuverabilty of the Fleet Torkaht for more tankiness, more firepower (if using the command or tac versions) and universal boff stations which is nice because sometimes I put a sci in the LTC uni for more sci heals when using my eng, or use it as tac on my tac captain for same boff layout as Torkaht.

I have both the 3 pack and the Torhkat, I use them all regularly.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I have the tac variant.

Like others have said, its like driving a bus. Even in PvE I find myself having to look two steps ahead to line up my cannon shots. I guess it would be okay with beams, but then its just like any feddie cruiser.

Get the Fleet Vorcha/BattleCruiser instead. It has good tankability and can put out an insane amount of firepower. More importantly, it can turn quick enough to line up any shot you want.
Lieutenant
# 14
12-01-2012, 02:21 PM
If you are mainly doing pvp and don't mind slow turning, the bortasqu' tactical cruiser is your best friend. 5 tactical consoles boosting dual heavie cannons and turrets plus the autocannon, can shred most ships, tractor beams also help, i use the borg tractor beam and another in my science station and have little trouble killing in pve or pvp.
So many people have been scared away from this ship because they haven't the perseverance to put up with the turning to see what it has to offer, which is a huge amount of damage, and average tanking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjokruhlica View Post
And the cloak is pointless, since your enemy can still see you 20 km out even with it on.
This was true months ago, but now the claok is similar to mask energy signature 3, so you can be seen at around 6km, so it isn't that bad.

Overall i'd recommend this as a tactical cruiser, an eng or a sci doesn't fit the battleship role well in my experience.Hope this is helpful
Career Officer
# 15
12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewstelamon01 View Post
From what I just read up on it (yes, I play 2 KDF characters, one an LG, and I'm doing a little ship window shopping), the Bortas'qu is the KDF equivalent of a Beached Space Whale.

If anything gets in front of it, it's toast and I mean a whole loaf of toast...but if it has to move it's lazier and slower than an old cat.

Ya know..that about sums it up. Old, fat lazy cat....
If you want a good attack cruiser, go with a Vor'cha retrofit or the fleet equivalent. Or pony up the cash for a Galor.

Last edited by sjokruhlica; 12-02-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
12-01-2012, 03:15 PM
As others stated, these ships have what you need to survive, if that is all you want to do. The Oddy and Bortas are good cruisers for their intended purpose and can pack some firepower, especially the Bortas' big gun. However, the problem is with the ability that you are not concerned with... maneuvering. No matter how much hull you have, if an enemy can just sit in your 6-position and plink away your shields and then your hull, then you are not going to survive. The maneuvering is what makes good ships in STO great ships in PvE (end-game) and PvP. I have both ships, mothballed the Oddy for a Fleet Heavy Cruiser (and probably will get the Tier 5 Advanced HC), and I will do the same with the Bortas when my fleet can get the Tier 5 Negh'var (this ships can turn and survive, as oppose to survive and hope to survive a little longer).

It all depends on whether you want a big whale with a thick skin or a ship that can give as much as it can take. If the latter then go Fleet Negh'var.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17 Agree
12-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjokruhlica View Post
If you want a good attack cruiser, go with a Vor'cha retrofit of the fleet equivalent. Or pony up the cash for a Galor.
Agree with the Galor, it is worth the expense and can turn very well.
Captain
# 18
12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Drove one in Tribble back in october/november timeframe in the lead-up to S7.

Handling/accelleration: The Bortasque has an accelleration and handling ability reminiscent of a city bus, with bad brakes, broken shocks, and flat tyres.

5 Tac consoles+DHC's and Turrets are GREAT-if you can actually get the nose on a target to fire-this is a significant problem that the Bortasque has-it can't do that on a consistent basis.

it MAY be the ONLY KDF ship out there that would perform BETTER as mixed beam/Turrets build, due to its' lack of ability to bring nose-on-target.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 19
12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I'll point out that the cannons are not a huge problem in Borg STFs. What I did (before I gave up on KDF) was use a bortas ship with a single autocannon console (not worth the rest, imo), cannons and a few other things, and a variety of movement stuff for when I NEED TO MOVE NOW (APO, for example).

And then play it like a normal beam cruiser in anything else. (with extra console slot!)

I don't know if it's better than other choices, but it's a decent cruiser with some interesting fits, if you don't feel like having a hangar filled with completely different ships.

(My knowledge is pre-Fleet ships, so, yeah, maybe Fleet regular cruisers blow bortas pack out of the water, not sure)

While I enjoyed my bortas', I will reiterate that I found the trio of consoles too costly (in terms of giving up more useful consoles) to bother with.