Lieutenant
This question might sound a little bit weird but is using a Varanus Support Vessel with a Tactical Character a waste of time or is it a passable choice with respective skill set?
Captain
# 2
12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxina View Post
This question might sound a little bit weird but is using a Varanus Support Vessel with a Tactical Character a waste of time or is it a passable choice with respective skill set?
It's a fair choice if you're going to main tank or play "full support". It's got lots of shield points, and the repair drones help take care of your hull.

You'll be very limited in both Tactical Stations and Tactical Consoles, and the ship can't equip Dual Cannons. But you might be able to get away with exploiting all the science BOFF power slots (TBR3/GW/TRift/etc) for damage and pulling aggro.

That said, there are better ships for tanking, and MUCH better ships for dealing damage.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Commander
# 3
12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
You'e worried that you'll be as effective as panda's love spuds in a Varnaus?

Well fear not my Tactical Gorn flies the only Gorn ship option open to him, a Varnaus. Properly speced it produces an amzaing ammount of Tankyness, with decent attack options.

Granted I've thrown some Zen at it, but with those options on stream I can do several things.
1: Tank enough to concentrate on priority targets (such as Nanite Probes in Infected), while happilly ignoring the Spheres.
2: Do enough crowd control and damage for the same. Granted there are times when you feel the lack ofDPS, and this is my only complaint with the ship. But slinging gravity wells around with gay abandon makes up for it.
3: Support the other ships. To be honest just keep throwing platforms out the back and the Support role will more than take care of itself. If however you want to go the extra mile you've got so many slots of Hazard emitters and TSS that its not a difficulty.

The Varnaus herself is quite nimble so as a tactical you can easilly keep her guns on target, to the extent I use Cannons (I did try beam banks, but although I could keep them pointing towards the enemy I just felt they were less effective than the cannons).
As she can turn, remember that you need to be pointing your nose towards the enemy for most of your powers. Equally Torpedo's comeo ut that way, so you might as well go for a front facing weapon selection, leave the braodsides at home, is what I'm trying to say.

I did try a plasma torpedo only build*, and that worked surprisingly well. It provided a steady constant stream of damage. The only issue I had was it lacked burst damage, and that screwed me over in a few Timed missions. Yes I was going to win, just not in the time limit. So I went with a slightly more conventinonal set up.
I did try the Borg cutting beam as well, but for my build a torpedo is much better.

Roll on the Fleet Varnaus!

*It worked off the principle of direct damage ot the hull, so Gravity wells + Plasma fire.
Captain
# 4
12-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvee1 View Post
You'e worried that you'll be as effective as panda's love spuds in a Varnaus?

Well fear not my Tactical Gorn flies the only Gorn ship option open to him, a Varnaus. Properly speced it produces an amzaing ammount of Tankyness, with decent attack options.

Granted I've thrown some Zen at it, but with those options on stream I can do several things.
1: Tank enough to concentrate on priority targets (such as Nanite Probes in Infected), while happilly ignoring the Spheres.
2: Do enough crowd control and damage for the same. Granted there are times when you feel the lack ofDPS, and this is my only complaint with the ship. But slinging gravity wells around with gay abandon makes up for it.
3: Support the other ships. To be honest just keep throwing platforms out the back and the Support role will more than take care of itself. If however you want to go the extra mile you've got so many slots of Hazard emitters and TSS that its not a difficulty.

The Varnaus herself is quite nimble so as a tactical you can easilly keep her guns on target, to the extent I use Cannons (I did try beam banks, but although I could keep them pointing towards the enemy I just felt they were less effective than the cannons).
As she can turn, remember that you need to be pointing your nose towards the enemy for most of your powers. Equally Torpedo's comeo ut that way, so you might as well go for a front facing weapon selection, leave the braodsides at home, is what I'm trying to say.

I did try a plasma torpedo only build*, and that worked surprisingly well. It provided a steady constant stream of damage. The only issue I had was it lacked burst damage, and that screwed me over in a few Timed missions. Yes I was going to win, just not in the time limit. So I went with a slightly more conventinonal set up.
I did try the Borg cutting beam as well, but for my build a torpedo is much better.

Roll on the Fleet Varnaus!

*It worked off the principle of direct damage ot the hull, so Gravity wells + Plasma fire.
I'd be interested to see your build and ship set up, Im considering a Varanus to replace my B'rel Retrofit.
Captain
# 5
12-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Yes you can use ANY Science Vessel on a tac toon to great effect. In fact I'd personally recommend it. If you have a photonic officer and combine that with tactical initative you can literally spam out those tyken rift III's and viral matrix.

Combine a proper power management system plus omega with a Science ship and you can expect to average around 3k damage a beam with a tac toon.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Commander
# 6
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
I'd be interested to see your build and ship set up, Im considering a Varanus to replace my B'rel Retrofit.
Probably open to mocking but what I use is:

Front: 2x Cannon + Torp (Chroniton and disruptor in this case)
Rear: 3x Turrets
Full Honour guard set. Although in future I might switch it to 2x honour guard 1x MACO shield. At the moment a full set of Borg is an idea I'm toying with.

Eng: Repair platform, Isometric charge (used to be aceton assimilator) and Plasmodic Leech
Science: Shield Consoles (Regen rate and Capacity buff), 2x Graviton Genrators.
Tactical: 1x Disruptor, assimlated module. I know I'm giving up DPS there, but it does allow me boosts to Crits, weapon power and Graviton Genrators. I might change it to a science slot.

Power levels: 75/25/25/100 Plasmodic leech + the high strike rate of cannons will get the power levels up.

BOFF's:
Tactical: Scatter volley and torpedo spread.

Eng: Emergancy power to Shields, Eng team and I can't remember if I can fit a Rotate Shield polarity in there or not (too many ships to remeber exactly).

Sci: Gravity Well 1 and 3, Tractor beam 3 (Might look at dropping that for something else), all the lower powers are assorted heals such as TSS and Hazard emitters.

Only Boff I can remember off the top of my head is the Purple Gravmetric one. Think I have a tech as well.
I'm looking forward to the Fleet version as well.