Captain
So yesterday evening I want on a "shotgun" run of the STF's -- but now , instead of six missions in a row , we had eight missions to do .

I was pretty exited ... for two reasons :
I have not done the ground missions since S.7 started (tried a few times , but almost always nobody wanted to do them ... , as they take too long , gotta make that Dil quick now...) .
I was also exited because although we were an organized PUG , these guys were new to me and they seemed like really decent players & team mates .
This was kinda important to me as I have managed to fail Into the Hive (ground elite) quite a few times before (even with my best Sci tank/healer) , so I was thinking that maybe this time we might make it ... -- and after a few times , we did .

We left the newer missions for the last as we did not want to get bogged down at the beginning with the difficult stuff , but at the end of the run , one of the players posted a comment that really stung , and
it went something like this :
"... and after All This ... I have yet to hit my Dil cap ! "

Now I have not done the math before , and I don't think that I've seen a "shotgun" math posted before , but it's really easy :

960 x 8 = 7680

I really don't know what to say to that .
Considering that prior S.7 , you could hit your Dil cap (if you had good Tech drops) in 3-4 STF's (yes , all the STF's , not just cycling Infected Space ad nasium) , this was just ... . I dunno . It left me shaking my head .

This brought home the raw understanding that STO is a "farming" game now .
I have to farm , I have to farm hard ... -- no not play hard ... that's what I did in the 8 STF's and I still could not hit the Dil cap -- and I have to use the quickest routes to get to my Dil cap , if there are any .

Some here complained that we've had it "too easy" (got too much in a fair way) .
Some have complained that some players used their precious Foundry "not in a way it was intended" .
To those , I say now that the reality that I woke up to is that we need clicky missions Now , More Then Ever .

See , I have not used clicky missions before that post about a month ago from Levi3 .
Didn't see the need .
Was I naive ?
Was it naive to think that Dil was not a "big deal" ?
As a player , saying now that we need quick n'dirty tricks , because without them we might as well "be happy" with 3000-4000 Dil per day ... -- it makes me feel crummy & cheap .

This sort of "farming achievement" is not something that makes me feel proud .
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Career Officer
# 2
11-25-2012, 02:42 AM
This raw understanding is, of course, tempered by the fact that dilithium is best acquired through other activities.

STFs are primarily about their own currency now (Omega Marks) since they contribute to both alternate progression and cheap gear access (much cheaper than buying gear through dilithium or fleet stores).
Captain
# 3
11-25-2012, 02:48 AM
I can only speak for myself but I play an absolute minimum.

I gate my 3 characters and outside the marks required for that in turn in some occasional contraband.

I don't know if re-unlocking the gear will change that around, that I might become active again once I can put in work on my own time.

But I got to to thinking I already have all the ground sets, space sets and don't plan on upgrading my weapons.

So what's left to go for if you on top of that is a cheap sob too

It's like down to entourage and the flamethrower to me I guess...

I guess the winter event will give me something to do, I really feel I deserve the shard of possibilities.

The only thing left really is getting the infected ground optional on my last characters, albeit that's not up to me - I've been ready and able to do it for a long time but always end up with people failing me.

In any case, minus the optional, I don't see the old days of farming stf coming back for me - whereas before I actually felt rewarded and were willing to play them a lot I am now consciously trying to play as little as I have to because it feels like work.

If I can make enough dilithium for the few items I want, selling stuff and buying contraband, I could see it going lights out for stf completely for me.
Captain
# 4
11-25-2012, 03:14 AM
You're forgetting item turn in conversions.

960x8= 7680
8 (BNP) x 200= 1600
480 (omega marks, 60 per eSTF) x 10 = 4800

So really, 8 STFs = 14080 dilithium potential

It's actually more than that assuming you get optionals( ~1200 dilithium), and that's not even counting the drops they are adding back in.

So, yeh, your still hitting dil cap in approx 4 STFs, which takes about an hour. It's pretty forgiving.

Last edited by xantris; 11-25-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Captain
# 5
11-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
You're forgetting item turn in conversions.

960x8= 7680
8 (BNP) x 200= 1600
480 (omega marks, 60 per eSTF) x 10 = 4800

So really, 8 STFs = 14080 dilithium potential

Hey guys, look, a time traveler! In his time, things we know as having been suggested but not implemented or guaranteed are everyday gameplay features!
Captain
# 6
11-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Hey guys, look, a time traveler! In his time, things we know as having been suggested but not implemented or guaranteed are everyday gameplay features!

They're suppose to be patched in by the end of the month, They're not suggestions, they are straight from Stahl. I'm not sure what more you want, unless whining about stuff that's already been addressed is really that important to you. You can even save your marks and trade them all in at a later date, so it's not like your losing anything from them not being implemented right now.

From what I can tell, it just really peeves you off when someone doesn't hate on season 7, regardless of how baseless the claim is. It's pretty pathetic.

Last edited by xantris; 11-25-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 7
11-25-2012, 06:14 AM
I really don't see what the big deal is. I don't even try half the time, yet daily I hit my dil cap and then some. On my best day where i did try, i collected over 15k dil. I did about 3 STFs, kept all my assignment slots filled and moving, and did a turn in contraband. I also did some big dig, and a few other random things. I cannot recall every single thing. But I do remember thinking to myself that it felt a little too easy. I remember getting annoyed that I could only refine the 8k. I think the Dil collection is only as hard as you make it. I know for some it's hard because they only get limited playing time. If you really think about it though, in most MMOs there is always an element of farming. I know in ******** people are constantly doing dailies for rep and gold to get items that will last them maybe a month before something new and better comes out.

To think that STO is any different is kind of unrealistic. The Devs wanted to slow progress. They wanted to make it a little harder to get items. That's just the nature of games. If you got through all the new content and got all the best gear in a month, you'd possibly stop playing and head off to another game till another big content patch came out. The idea is to keep you around so they have a chance at making a little money. I think once people accept that and just deal with it, we can all have a better time with it.
# 8
11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
I really don't see what the big deal is. I don't even try half the time, yet daily I hit my dil cap and then some. On my best day where i did try, i collected over 15k dil. I did about 3 STFs, kept all my assignment slots filled and moving, and did a turn in contraband. I also did some big dig, and a few other random things. I cannot recall every single thing. But I do remember thinking to myself that it felt a little too easy. I remember getting annoyed that I could only refine the 8k. I think the Dil collection is only as hard as you make it. I know for some it's hard because they only get limited playing time. If you really think about it though, in most MMOs there is always an element of farming. I know in ******** people are constantly doing dailies for rep and gold to get items that will last them maybe a month before something new and better comes out.

To think that STO is any different is kind of unrealistic. The Devs wanted to slow progress. They wanted to make it a little harder to get items. That's just the nature of games. If you got through all the new content and got all the best gear in a month, you'd possibly stop playing and head off to another game till another big content patch came out. The idea is to keep you around so they have a chance at making a little money. I think once people accept that and just deal with it, we can all have a better time with it.
In a word....THIS
Captain
# 9
11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I totally disagree.

I did go through the content rapidly and you know what, I kept playing stf anyway. Some days even over the limit.
The thing is, stf, includingly the kiddielies after having all my gear on all my characters, was my only dilithium in-come...

Now with the rewards gone I play a minimum for reputation marks only and I have zero dilithium coming in.

It might change when and if I unlock our old gear again but I doubt it - I already have everything, honestly depending on the prices I could see myself not buying a single item from the rep store and not play stf or go for romulan marks after I hit t5.

Simply go in-active, have my fleet unlock everything and maybe get 1 or 2 items before season 8.

The turning point being I was willing to farm stf for unlocks whereas now I am not.

So the supposed effect of prolonging my game time had the reversed effect, it totally killed it.
Career Officer
# 10
11-25-2012, 11:39 AM
theres one silver lining, and this is prolly the most positive thing ive had to say since season 7 was released.

Since they're going to make mark conversion to dilithium immediately available instead of tier 5, you can make 1460 dil per estf and still have some marks left over. 960 for completion, and since you always get 60+ marks, convert 50 into 500 dilihtium. so that'll help some what, and when you come to a point where you need marks instead of dilithium, hold back on converting till you get what you need.

Course, this is all pending overlord stahl not wanting to change the dilithium amounts, again.