Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,651
Specifically Poker (as a mini-game). A group of people in a social zone (DS9; ESD ect) around a Poker Table playing for Dilithium, Energy Credits or Latinium (or maybe some of all). It'll add to the social aspect of the game, and it's something still played in the 23rd/24th century.

If they've got Poker on Facebook, we should have it in Star Trek: Online. I know this has been brought up from time to time, and (last I read on it) it was down to one of the developers having some free / own time to do it. Why (I am curious) does it have to be done in someone's own time? Why can't Poker be incorporated into the game without it having to be stand alone?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,050
# 2
10-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Seeing the title of the thread I would have guessed a card game like Top Trumps with STO ships.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,516
# 3
10-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Specifically Poker (as a mini-game). A group of people in a social zone (DS9; ESD ect) around a Poker Table playing for Dilithium, Energy Credits or Latinium (or maybe some of all).
Once you start a game of chance for something that has a real-life value or can be converted into it (e.g. dilithium, ingame items), you will quickly run into legal problems. Afaik STO could be running in the danger of recieving an "MA" rating or getting banned completely in certain countries. IIRC that was also the reason why companies like Blizzard decided against gambling in WoW and were pretty quick to shut down player-initiated gambling.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,651
# 4
10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Seeing the title of the thread I would have guessed a card game like Top Trumps with STO ships.
They could do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
Once you start a game of chance for something that has a real-life value or can be converted into it (e.g. dilithium, ingame items), you will quickly run into legal problems. Afaik STO could be running in the danger of recieving an "MA" rating or getting banned completely in certain countries. IIRC that was also the reason why companies like Blizzard decided against gambling in WoW and were pretty quick to shut down player-initiated gambling.
Two things here:

Firstly, the idea of Poker making it's way into STO hasn't ever been declined. It's always been down too "we'll do it if we've got the time". More of an unessential addon. It isn't going to make a difference to gameplay, so they don't want to put too much time, effort and resource into it (which from their point of view, is fair enough).

Secondly, I can see your worry with regard to real-life value, but that would only apply if said value were to be something that you can get with real money. Dilithium you can obviously exchange for (and from) zen. As far as latinium goes however, there is no real-life value where that is concerned. You can't buy latinium, you can't sell it, and you can't exchange it. Latinium would be the perfect resource for a Poker game. Would give Cryptic the chance to update their Latinium store too; a few new items for purchase by those skilled poker players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
# 5
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
gambling lock boxes not enough for ya lol

serious note now . poker or any ingame gambling medium between players opens a legal can of worms , alot of states even in the good old USA have strict gambling laws . i love poker , but cant see it ever happening .
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,651
# 6
10-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruccy View Post
gambling lock boxes not enough for ya lol

serious note now . poker or any ingame gambling medium between players opens a legal can of worms , alot of states even in the good old USA have strict gambling laws . i love poker , but cant see it ever happening .
We all joke about it, but in a twisted way, the game already involves gambling in the way the lock boxes work. Introducing Poker would actually be less of an evil because (through the way I propose it) no real money would ever be involved. It would just be something fun to pass by the time and rack up on latinium.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 587
# 7
10-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
We all joke about it, but in a twisted way, the game already involves gambling in the way the lock boxes work. Introducing Poker would actually be less of an evil because (through the way I propose it) no real money would ever be involved. It would just be something fun to pass by the time and rack up on latinium.
Dabo, cough cough.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,628
# 8
10-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
because (through the way I propose it) no real money would ever be involved.
I hope you are talking the type of poker that involves betting clothing.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,624
# 9
10-06-2012, 12:13 AM
If we could play poker for latinum I'm pretty sure there'd be no legal issues. Why? We already play dabo for latinum. We don't play against other players for the latinum, we're playing against the machine, but then isn't that the case with slots machines? I really don't think there's a real and viable differentiation between the two.

If you wanted to get really Trek about this then we should be playing Tongo...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 658
# 10
10-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Why not? Minigames are a great way to pass time and compete with friends.

Add in a whole range of Earth classic favourites in a functional casino setting, plus tongo, dom-jat, 3-D chess and whatnot. I believe some of these can even be store-bought today (I've seen 3-D chess sets sold at a certain collectible website).

All of these are pretty much a lesser evil than the deceptive nature of lockboxes and the tendency for new players to start spending an endless amount of real money on them.

More minigames = more latinum = Cryptic can populate the Latinum Store. Much more Trek-like than the nonsense we end up with these days.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.