Captain
My first two characters were both engineers. The Fed guy used the MACO set, and the KDF guy used the Honor Guard set. Both very solid. Then I started a new science character and wanted to try something so I went with the Omega set.

I'm not entirely sure that the "25% dodge" on the shield actually works, but that's another thread.

More my problem is that the auto-carbine is *terrible*. You have an organization that is specifically aimed at fighting the Borg, and they're using a weapon which plays to the Borg's strengths. Rapid-fire weapons are absolutely terrible versus them because they do low damage per shot and the Borg adapt quickly. Auto-carbine lacks the big punch and knockback of pulsewaves, the long range and conservative remodulations of sniper rifles, and the multi-target exploit of split beams. Soooo....what's the point? It either needs to pack a lot of power, or it needs to have good "endurance", or some kind of other benefits that makes it worth using.

To that end, I'd like to suggest:

1.) That the auto-carbine gain a unique ability: the ability to switch off Borg adaptation. Basically, each projectile has a decent chance (10%?) to briefly "confuse" Borg adaptation, so that for a few seconds (4?) that Borg cannot adapt to any weapons hitting it. If this occurs, there is also a chance (25%?) of the Borg being exposed for the same duration. Individual Borg gain resistance to this effect so they can't be "stunned" in this fashion constantly. Non-Borg targets are not affected by any of this mode's special features.

2.) Change the secondary fire to a single-target "heavy burst". Instead of 3 projectiles for X damage each, you would fire a heavy burst of 12 projectiles doing 2X damage each. The heavy burst would be noticeably noisier, more visually intense, and a higher rate of fire than the regular burst. The heavy burst mode has damage falloff, like the pulsewave. This is an exploit.

This would turn the auto-carbine from an absolutely pathetic weapon that does the majority of its damage via the weak kinetic bleedthrough, into a decent borg killer. Has a rather weak primary fire mode that can create windows of opportunity for your hard-hitting secondary attack and other team mates.

Last edited by momaw; 09-09-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
09-09-2012, 03:13 AM
A more broad based solution would be for Cryptic to normalize Adapted Rates for all weapons, to prevent the favoritism of slow firing high damage weapons like the Pulsewave. If weapons were normalized there might even be more diversity in STF weapon selection.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-09-2012, 03:15 AM
But isn't the point of the kinetic damage already to have somethign the Borg don't adapt, too?

BTW, the whole Omega gear is meant to use in a complete set to actually get powerful. Once you have all 3 pieces you can instantly remodulate, so it's not much of an issue anymore that the Borg adapt fast.
Lieutenant
# 4
09-09-2012, 04:08 AM
i find omega set very usefull, except in stfs or pvp.

as a sci, on the ground u can play many roles (healer, dubuffer, crowd control), and they all actually work well, especially with the full omega set which is quite flexible.

in stfs tho most of the time u'r team would like u to tank the heavys, cuz its easier to heal u'rself while shooting/debuffing... here the maco shield regen and resists come in handy.
but the omega give a team buff that stacks, unlike maco.
so it's all situational and depened on u'r play style alot.
Captain
# 5
09-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Geeze, you guys are complaining about the autocarbine? I remember before they normalized the adaption rates for rapid fire weapons- now *that* was a sucky gun.
Commander
# 6
09-09-2012, 04:43 AM
3 piece set remodulator is just fine as long as you have a second weapon with a diff energy type. I used the auto carbine and a tetryon pulsewave and about the time the pulse wave saw adapted the remodulator was back off cooldown.
Lieutenant
# 7
09-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Why don't they just change the adaptation rate to 'per attack'? Basically, after clicking the attack button 10 times, they adapt. You remodulate. It puts every weapon on equal ground, unless their attack CD rate is faster or slower than others. Then the only problem would be that the auto-carbide gets the borg proc more (+15 kinetic dmg), but this can be fixed by tweaking the gun's base damage.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
09-09-2012, 03:00 PM
I agree with the change of the seconday fire....the full auto sweep is crap for it....just doesn't seem right for such a high tech weapon..it would be better to have it has the compression bolt shot like the pistols have.....look at the maco rifle....it has a BEAM primary and sniper secondary...where most snipers are all bolt and the igh density beams are beam and beam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Captain
# 9
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
There's nothing "normalized" about the thing. Borg adapt in 3 or 4 shots to it, and then you're down to doing only the kinetic damage. That's 45 per shot, and it fires a burst per second, so you're doing half, or less, the damage that your team mates are doing with their weapons that don't get adapted so quickly.

The instant remodulation does not offset the weapon's weakness since you can only remodulate every 15 seconds and the borg will adapt to this weapon much faster.

I did consider just buffing the Omega set's remodulator so it's fast enough to keep up with the auto-carbine, but then that is open to abuse of whatever your second slot is. It might also be possible to make the remodulator super-fast *only* when you use the auto-carbine...

But, frankly, I like my way (temporary disable adaptation, heavy burst attack) a lot more because it would make the auto carbine a unique change of pace and open up new tactical possibilities with it.
Commander
# 10
09-11-2012, 01:22 AM
You are using two different weapons with different energy types right?
I run into no timing issues using the omega and firing secondary then primary till adapted switching to a different weapon and use its secondary then primary till adapted throw a grenade then remod.