Captain
# 171
12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I can't leave a thread alone for a half an hour, and it devolves into this?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 172
12-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I can't leave a thread alone for a half an hour, and it devolves into this?
It's been a few days for me. I was like, 'Ooo...my thread is still alive while the trailer thread is active.' Then I scanned the last few pages and said, "...nevermind..."
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Survivor of Romulus
# 173
12-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
My friend, you really need to learn how to understand the concepts of Suspension of Disbelief, and Writer's License...
I can suspend disbelief but not reason
Zombies are impossible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Which is also impossible
However T'pol is several times smarter than him
and Loyal to Vulcan so almost certainly filed a report

T'Pol might have been more intelligent than Archer, but her thinking (and that of many Vulcans of the era) was very rigid and restricted. She probably filed a report about what happened, but would not have included Archer's musings about Cochrane's claims of cybernetic creatures from the future... Vulcans of the era considered time travel an utter impossibility. Discussing the subject was enough to get her as 'angry' as a Vulcan would be willing to display in public... The combination of Vulcan stubbornness and Human arrogance would be more than enough for cybernetically gimped up Tarkaleans to not be considered as anything other than an unfortunate incident and eventually forgotten

The Average Vulcan is a tiny bit "stuck up" (I should know I very nearly AM one)

Quote:
Quote:
And incidentally a pair of borg is still a collective just a really DUMB one
(borg Intelligence depends on numbers)

Technically, yes. The point I am making, is that the drones did not ever refer to themselves as 'the Borg' (even when they started to cube-out the captured ship) In fairness to the crew, they would not have known they were dealing with Borg, what the Borg were, or the potential threat they represented...
An interesting theory (which applys to ants ) is the larger the hive the smarter the colony
which puts two borg at about the level of a rockem sockem robot

Quote:
Quote:
As I say Starfleet is not that dumb

Again, Vulcan stubborness and Human arrogance means that yes, they clearly were that dumb, as the crew of the Enterprise-D had no idea what they came up against thanks to Q's shenanigans... You say Starfleet is not that dumb: Why was Project Defiant mothballed prior to Wolf 359? That says all that needs to be said for the arrogance and stupidity of bureaucracy...
Temporal meddlers
and Script issues

Quote:
Quote:
one nano probe
one implant
and you know everything you need to know

Shelby would have known, but she hadn't been born at the time... No one at the time knew what they had or what they were dealing with. Analogy: The scientists working on the Manhattan Project would have about as much understanding of a broken iPad, as Starfleet Command in Archer's era had of whatever Borg scraps they salvaged from the arctic...
actually the manhatten project people would have turned the I pad into a Weapon
those guys would have turned a cup of TEA into a weapon

But imagine a really smart person (An Archimedes or a Leonardo ) getting their hands on an I pad however broken??

Quote:
Quote:
I find it evidence of lazy writing and a paradox (an unresolved one)
its impossible (no forcefield could protect them)

Again, Suspension of Disbelieve and Writer's License...
To quote Scotty "you canna change the laws of physics"
Had they been in an escape pod
or on the MOON maybe

Quote:
Quote:
Which indicates predestination Thus the existance of a God
and that Q is a glove puppet

And your issue with that is what?
Well Q would not like it
And much of Trek is about disproving the existance of God or gods

Quote:
Quote:
but loops always self consume

This one resolves/continues itself rather nicely...
which it should not
A true loop always ends with the destruction of the loop

Quote:
Quote:
Which is also impossible
they licenced deck plans of the Enterprise at one time where the Transporter room was much smaller than shown on the TV

The TNG Technical Manual shows devices which would now be described and widely recognized as tablets... The description of a saucer landing was the inspiration for the scene in ST:Generations... Personally speaking, I think the writer of Regeneration did a good job of working with what they had in terms of introducing a Borg threat without compromising the lack of knowledge about the Borg in any TOS or TNG episode till Q-Who...
But why have Borg at all
they are the lamest of the lame

Quote:
Quote:
Which is also impossible
Thats a re-write (actually many of the movies indicate the changes look at insurrection starfleet has turned bad or Nemesis where Romulans have turned STUPID)

Starfleet had not turned bad in Insurrection... Admiral Dougherty was grieving the death of his wife, which impaired his judgement enough to allow him to be manipulated by the Son'a (who also betrayed and killed him) He only wanted to bring the benefits of metaphasics to all of the Federation (he refused Ru'afo's offer of 'treatment' from his attendants giving precisely that reason)... The Romulans weren't stupid in Nemesis either... Well, Donatra seemed a pretty savvy lady...
he had turned bad
ANY starfleet officer on that mission who failed to arrest him has gone bad (the whole operation was a major breach of the Prime directive)
Quote:
Quote:
the word you are looking for i think is "idiot"

He meant well, but had the naivete of a scientist to not realize that the subject of his study was so potentially dangerous, but at the end of the day, yes, he was an idiot for exposing his wife and child to such a situation... However, he was probably the only person in the 24th Century (other than the El-Aurians) prior to Q-Who, who actually had any real interest in the Borg at all...
He wasn't even ARMED
If I was studying the Borg Id be carrying enough firepower to fight a small war

Quote:
Quote:
and maybe the Borg Queen was part of the project as well

Maybe... She had her fingers in quite a few pies...
I have long suspected she is originally from earth
Captain
# 174
12-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
I can suspend disbelief but not reason
Zombies are impossible
Well yes, supposedly so, the point was just to illustrate something freezing, thawing and re-freezing cyclically. As before, the drones might have been freezing and thawing, or they might have simply been incapacitated on re-entry and frozen as they were until discovered. Either way, it's irrelevant. They were found, and that's all there is to it...

Quote:
The Average Vulcan is a tiny bit "stuck up" (I should know I very nearly AM one)
Thus there were aspects of the mission which would likely have been omitted from her report due to that intellectual tunnel vision. (Likewise, I have rata, tafar, tapan tattooed on my forearm...)

Quote:
An interesting theory (which applys to ants ) is the larger the hive the smarter the colony
Interesting, but irrelevant... The drones intellectual capacities are not truly under debate here, and regardless, they were still capable of assimilating and adapting the surrounding technology to their needs. Either way, the point was, that they never identified themselves as 'the Borg', thus there was no 'species called the Borg' for Archer to make report of for Command to be aware of for future generations to be prepared for.

Quote:
Temporal meddlers
and Script issues
In Universe, it has to be viewed as Bureaucratic stupidity...

Quote:

But imagine a really smart person (An Archimedes or a Leonardo ) getting their hands on an I pad however broken??
The Manhattan guys might have done, but I'm glad you took the generation of scientists back a few centuries to get the correct perspective. Archimedes or Leonardo might have had the intellect to comprehend the working technology to utilize it, but they would still have been seriously out of their league in terms of truly understanding it, and that's how the Command researchers of Archer's era would have been when faced with 24th Century Borg technology. It most likely would have been destroyed, or possibly kept in secure storage.

Quote:
or on the MOON maybe
Again, you HAVE to suspend disbelief... The drones were found, wether you consider that plausible or not. It is illogical to find fault with the presented canon, when it is not only impossible to change, but pointless anyway. Accept it for what it was.

Quote:
Well Q would not like it
I disagree. It is not about disproving the existence, merely throwing a different perspective onto what were considered gods by more primitive peoples...

Q didn't like the idea of his pets getting wiped out, so he gave them an advanced warning in a way which would not cause himself to lose face while doing so...

Quote:
which it should not
Why?

Quote:
But why have Borg at all
In your opinion... As before, I thought it was a good use of expanding a few loose threads from ST:First Contact into an Enterprise episode... Maybe it did not show the Borg which we have become accustomed to seeing, but it did explain why the Borg in the Delta Quadrant were heading for Earth when first encountered by the Enterprise-D in Q Who.

Quote:
he had turned bad
I disagree. He refused to indulge in the offered treatments, and specifically said that he wanted to wait till they could share the benefits with all the Federation.

Quote:
ANY starfleet officer on that mission who failed to arrest him has gone bad
Not so... They were following orders. Orders which would have benefited all of the Federation. People might ***** and moan about Japanese whaling ships, but they're still perfectly happy to buy the products derived from the whale's carcass... The morality of the mission might have been 'a bit grey', and something Federation citizens might not have felt comfortable about, but I doubt they would have boycotted metaphasics...

Quote:
(the whole operation was a major breach of the Prime directive)
Actually, it was not. As the Admiral pointed out, the Ba'ku were not native to the planet, and as discovered, the Ba'ku were Warp Capable, ergo, the Prime Directive simply did not apply in that situation. As above, yes, a slightly dirtier mission than the Federation typically undertakes, but one still authorized by the Federation Council, and not actually a Prime Directive issue...

Quote:
He wasn't even ARMED
Was the Raven unarmed? I'd've thought that the Raven had defensive weapons and a few phasers lying about. The fact he wouldn't have used them anyway, shows his foolhardiness...

Quote:
Based on what information? While it is not impossible that that specific Cube had assimilated other Humans prior to the assimilation of Picard (which ST:First Contact revealed she had been present for) I would have thought she was from a Delta Quadrant species.

Last edited by marcusdkane; 12-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 175
12-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Well yes, supposedly so, the point was just to illustrate something freezing, thawing and re-freezing cyclically. As before, the drones might have been freezing and thawing, or they might have simply been incapacitated on re-entry and frozen as they were until discovered. Either way, it's irrelevant. They were found, and that's all there is to it...
May I suggest next time Flatworms (nearly impossible to kill can survive being frozen)

Quote:
Quote:

Thus there were aspects of the mission which would likely have been omitted from her report due to that intellectual tunnel vision. (Likewise, I have rata, tafar, tapan tattooed on my forearm...)
I would imagine a T'pol report as similar in size to war and peace

Quo
Quote:
te:

Interesting, but irrelevant... The drones intellectual capacities are not truly under debate here, and regardless, they were still capable of assimilating and adapting the surrounding technology to their needs. Either way, the point was, that they never identified themselves as 'the Borg', thus there was no 'species called the Borg' for Archer to make report of for Command to be aware of for future generations to be prepared for.
well borg isn't a species really is it ??

Quote:
Quote:
Temporal meddlers
and Script issues

In Universe, it has to be viewed as Bureaucratic stupidity...
or corruption

Quote:
Quote:

The Manhattan guys might have done, but I'm glad you took the generation of scientists back a few centuries to get the correct perspective. Archimedes or Leonardo might have had the intellect to comprehend the working technology to utilize it, but they would still have been seriously out of their league in terms of truly understanding it, and that's how the Command researchers of Archer's era would have been when faced with 24th Century Borg technology. It most likely would have been destroyed, or possibly kept in secure storage.
Archimedes is a closer match after all
But I can see him determining the materials and some of the basic theory (for example electrical power)
Leonardo even smarter might well have wound up inventing the Etcher sketch or possibly backlight screens

Quote:
Quote:
or on the MOON maybe

Again, you HAVE to suspend disbelief... The drones were found, wether you consider that plausible or not. It is illogical to find fault with the presented canon, when it is not only impossible to change, but pointless anyway. Accept it for what it was.
It would be more logical if Q popped up saw them floating in space and popped them down (he does after all hate humans in a casual way(I refer to a Different Q than the one in game or in Q and seek thats the problem with a whole species with one name))

Quote:
Quote:
Well Q would not like it

I disagree. It is not about disproving the existence, merely throwing a different perspective onto what were considered gods by more primitive peoples...
The Apollo episode REALLY annoyed the Greek Viewers you know

Quote:
Q didn't like the idea of his pets getting wiped out, so he gave them an advanced warning in a way which would not cause himself to lose face while doing so...
If Q wanted to protect humanity the obvious thing is to mess the Borg up
not mankind

Quote:
Quote:
which it should not

Why?
Diminishing energy in the looped space (law of Entropy) how often have we seen a collapsing time loop in trek?

Quote:
Quote:
But why have Borg at all

In your opinion... As before, I thought it was a good use of expanding a few loose threads from ST:First Contact into an Enterprise episode... Maybe it did not show the Borg which we have become accustomed to seeing, but it did explain why the Borg in the Delta Quadrant were heading for Earth when first encountered by the Enterprise-D in Q Who.
not really
if the Borg really had been messaged in enterprises era they would have arrived during the movie era and encountered Admiral Kirk

Quote:
Quote:
he had turned bad

I disagree. He refused to indulge in the offered treatments, and specifically said that he wanted to wait till they could share the benefits with all the Federation.
But was prepared to steal a planet cutting everyone on it off from home , culture and Survival
I would have refused the treatment as well it looked VERY painful

Quote:
Quote:
ANY starfleet officer on that mission who failed to arrest him has gone bad

Not so... They were following orders. Orders which would have benefited all of the Federation.
Not a Valid defence
an illegal order is an illegal order
Had I tried something like this in my own service days I would bet on my own team turning me in

Quote:
People might ***** and moan about Japanese whaling ships, but they're still perfectly happy to buy the products derived from the whale's carcass...
hardly
those products are few and far between and largely illegal in many countries

Quote:
The morality of the mission might have been 'a bit grey', and something Federation citizens might not have felt comfortable about, but I doubt they would have boycotted metaphasics...
Anyone who did not would have died of horrible side effects (the Great Bird be praised for the Law of trek ) in Trek anyone who has an unethical medical proceedure to prolong life dies before the end credits roll

Quote:
Quote:
(the whole operation was a major breach of the Prime directive)

Actually, it was not. As the Admiral pointed out, the Ba'ku were not native to the planet, and as discovered, the Ba'ku were Warp Capable, ergo, the Prime Directive simply did not apply in that situation.
The Prime directive also forbids Interferance in Other peoples cultures

Quote:
As above, yes, a slightly dirtier mission than the Federation typically undertakes, but one still authorized by the Federation Council, and not actually a Prime Directive issue...
And one which would have seen the ENTIRE federation council standing trial for Genocide

Quote:
Quote:
He wasn't even ARMED

Was the Raven unarmed? I'd've thought that the Raven had defensive weapons and a few phasers lying about. The fact he wouldn't have used them anyway, shows his foolhardiness...
No He wasn't armed (no personal weapon)

Quote:
Quote:

Based on what information? While it is not impossible that that specific Cube had assimilated other Humans prior to the assimilation of Picard (which ST:First Contact revealed she had been present for) I would have thought she was from a Delta Quadrant species.
Well based on her being so blatently human all the time
I actually suspect the Queen to be Mrs Hansen
or whats left of her
Captain
# 176
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
May I suggest next time Flatworms (nearly impossible to kill can survive being frozen)
Not much dramatic tension there though...

Quote:
But still factually based. She wouldn't've viewed Cochrane's words as anything more than the fantasies of a known drunk...

Quote:
However you want to define the Borg, fact is, they did not identify themselves as Borg in that episode, because they were just a handful of disconnected drones, not the collective... I don't like to give Archer room on things, but to be fair to him on this issue, he couldn't properly identify the assailants in the report as anything other than cybernetically enhanced people...

Quote:
or corruption
From what source?

Quote:
But I can see him determining the materials and some of the basic theory (for example electrical power)
Absolutely, that is still not a full understanding of the technology, or determining the manufacturer, and that is the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
The episode where Kirk kissed Uhura REALLY annoyed a lot of American viewers too...

Quote:
not mankind
Maybe Q is bound by rules which prevent him from permanently harming other less evolved life-forms...

Quote:
Diminishing energy in the looped space (law of Entropy) how often have we seen a collapsing time loop in trek?
Such loops are often extremely localized, this was one on a galactic scale. More energy to utilize...

Quote:
not really
if the Borg really had been messaged in enterprises era they would have arrived during the movie era and encountered Admiral Kirk
Perhaps the Borg didn't have Transwarp technology in the 22nd Century...

Quote:
But was prepared to steal a planet cutting everyone on it off from home , culture and Survival
I admit, it's not the Federation's usual 'touchy feely' goodwill, but it's not as if they were going to go Cardassian-style on the women and children...

Quote:
In the Dune Universe, the Life Extension treatment is very painful, yet the results are significantly increased lifespan... The Admiral refused the treatment because he was not undertaking the mission for himself.

Quote:
Not a Valid defence

And one which would have seen the ENTIRE federation council standing trial for Genocide
In who's court?

Quote:
Cosmetics and perfumes are illegal?

Quote:
Anyone who did not would have died of horrible side effects (the Great Bird be praised for the Law of trek ) in Trek anyone who has an unethical medical proceedure to prolong life dies before the end credits roll
That's quite true...

Quote:
Indeed, an idiot...

Quote:
or whats left of her
An interesting theory...
Survivor of Romulus
# 177
12-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Not much dramatic tension there though...
Film Evolution ?
or maybe they are very ANGRY flatworms?
With miniguns?

Quote:
Quote:

But still factually based. She wouldn't've viewed Cochrane's words as anything more than the fantasies of a known drunk...
Ah but was he a Drunk ?
Some people claim he was actually a totally different man met by Kirk in deep space

Quo
Quote:
te:

However you want to define the Borg, fact is, they did not identify themselves as Borg in that episode, because they were just a handful of disconnected drones, not the collective... I don't like to give Archer room on things, but to be fair to him on this issue, he couldn't properly identify the assailants in the report as anything other than cybernetically enhanced people...
Borg is a Disease really "a Bad case of the Borg"

Quote:
Quote:
or corruption

From what source?
it takes a corrupt officer to do these things a desire for profit

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely, that is still not a full understanding of the technology, or determining the manufacturer, and that is the point I was trying to make.
Ah he Would guess the manufacturer (Apple is stamped on the mother board)

Quote:
Quote:

The episode where Kirk kissed Uhura REALLY annoyed a lot of American viewers too...
they were only Jealous (after all she was the best looking woman in the crew)

Quote:
Quote:
not mankind

Maybe Q is bound by rules which prevent him from permanently harming other less evolved life-forms...
Can't be
He keeps doing it
Q either has no rules
Or "the Q" are pretty lax in obeying them
Besides he does not have to "harm " them
Merely send them so far into the future that there is nothing to assimilate

Quote:
Quote:

Such loops are often extremely localized, this was one on a galactic scale. More energy to utilize...
solar system at most
form the second the borg sphere entered the warp the solar system had two existances
one the proper time line and one the no life on earth one

Quote:
Quote:
not really

Perhaps the Borg didn't have Transwarp technology in the 22nd Century...
70 years more than enough time
AND they could transmit the details of trans warp

Quote:
Quote:

I admit, it's not the Federation's usual 'touchy feely' goodwill, but it's not as if they were going to go Cardassian-style on the women and children...
no they were going to age them to death over a period of a few years
Cardassian style would have been kinder

Quote:
Quote:

In the Dune Universe, the Life Extension treatment is very painful, yet the results are significantly increased lifespan... The Admiral refused the treatment because he was not undertaking the mission for himself.
or because he was chicken

Quote:
Quote:
Not a Valid defence

In who's court?
GCH (Galactic court of Humanity)
when the ethical captains (like ourselves) found out and returned arresting them and putting them on trial (and obliterating the Sona in a storm of righteous Phaser fire)

Quote:
Quote:

Cosmetics and perfumes are illegal?
ones made from endangered species Are yes

Quote:
Quote:

That's quite true...
and universal as well (all series even Voyager)

Quote:
Quote:

Indeed, an idiot...
Id have gone for a pump action shotgun , some grenades and a very large spacial charge

Quote:
Quote:
or whats left of her

An interesting theory...
note the "compassion" for Seven of nine
Career Officer
# 178
12-07-2012, 11:58 AM
....wow...

I can't believe I just read all that.

My masochistic tendencies are getting worse as I get older apparently.

DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.
Commander
# 179
12-07-2012, 12:05 PM
The Borg Queen is a survivor of the NX-2. According to the destiny books.

So Borgs can survive phaser fire but not reentry? Seems legit :-P

Starfleet of 2365 was an different organization than Starfleet of 2161. It doesn't sound that illogical that some data got corrupt or missing over the years. Changing systems, attack on earth, theft, corruption etc... 200 years are a lot of time. So that I'm not surprised that the Borg weren't recognized as Borg.
Survivor of Romulus
# 180
12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Phaser fire a couple of seconds of the power output of a hand device

Re-entry several minutes of VAST power over the whole body

Even Starships can burn up on re-entry
Borg are just a corpse with a few gadgets