Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,669
# 71
12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post
The official movie poster has been revealed.

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/asse...T13-Poster.jpg

I don't know what to think. I mean this suggests something darker than DS9 offered us.
Nice, however nothing JJ makes can equal DS9, hell none of the other series approached DS9 in anyway.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 72
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Kirk was only born a few months early because of the Narada. The explanation given in the tie-ins is that Winona was using pregnancy slowing drugs that failed due to the trauma of the attack. He's actually OLDER in the J.J.-verse than he was in the Prime Universe because of a premature delivery. And he gets command of the Enterprise six years early, despite starting the Academy five years late.
Kirk became a captain as an ADULT and after many years as a competent officer
kirkie from JJ verse becomes a captain at an age when he should have been an Ensign
and thus is incompetent

Quote:
(In the J.J.verse, he started the Academy in 2255 and took command of the Enterprise in in 2259 vs. starting the Academy in 2250 and taking command of the Enterprise in 2265 in the Prime timeline.)
Aged 35
not 20

Quote:
Now, Chekov in the JJ-verse was born four years early and so is likely, on a genetic level, the brother of Prime Chekov, who simply has the same name and parents. And he was 17 in the film.
so you claim the Chekovs could only think of one name for Both sons??
he is the same man and as old as kirk
Sulu is also in the same class
its just a cop out

Quote:
I think you're sortof willfully destroying the timeline more than Orci and Kurtzman did because you didn't like the film
.

give me a timeship for the DAY and ill erase the whole mess AND make Starfleet safe for a millenia
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,567
# 73
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Enterprise would be history by the time of Spock's/Nero's actions, but 150 years of future history have been thrown in the crapper.
The only reason the Borg became aware of humanity was due to Q's meddling, avoid Q, avoid the Borg. If the Borg never came to the Alpha quadrant to begin with they would never have gone back to Earths history to eventually be found by the NX01.
The only reason for Khan being found was because the Enterprise was in the right place at the right time to find the Botany Bay, put the Enterprise somewhere else and the Bounty bay continues to drift in empty space and Khan and the augments remain a historical footnote.
This time travel nonsense has thrown a wrench in the works of all of the Star Trek we know, that's why they did it, so then can make up all new stories that have nothing to do with Star Trek's history.

Instead of creating something that fits with the existing franchise, they pushed the magic reset button, time travel, which in my opinion, sucks.
Here's the thing.

In Star Trek, destiny is basically an imaginary law of physics. Events tend to flow a certain way, regardless of specifics.

"Time is like a river," Spock said in TOS. The Mirror Universe managed to have all the same people be born and wind up in the same geographic regions. Same thing with episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Parallels."

Treat destiny as a natural force. There is no butterfly effect in the Star Trek universe, except in isolated cases like Edith Keeler. Change history and most of the same stuff still happens as close as is possible.

Destiny is a force like gravity or magnetism. The timeline wants to be written a certain way and hews as closely as possible to that template, regardless of changes.

Repeat after me: the butterfly effect does not exist. Destiny is a natural force. If one person doesn't do something, history will impose the next best approximation.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 74
12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Actually there are going to be changes

Example Tuvok was never born
thus voyager is never lost in the delta quadrant
thus there is no contact with the slipstream tech

Example due to the kirk age thing Dr marcus was never born
thus no genesis device

Example due to spocks weird attraction to Uhura Enterprise is destroyed early in the 5 year mission and thus many many people die

Example due to the death of Amanda Spocks father dies of his illness and there is no peace in several places

Example the babal conference has no vulcan delegate Corridan becomes an orion world

Example kirk has no brother thus the alien parasites destroy hundreds of worlds

Example Kirk fails to destroy the doomsday device

Example sadly due to changes piccard is never born
Riker captains the enterprise
The Enterprise is DESTROYED by Q and the human race returned to earth and caged

so many changes are possible
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 911
# 75
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Actually there are going to be changes

Example Tuvok was never born
OR Tuvok just isn't born on Vulcan. But New Vulcan instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
thus voyager is never lost in the delta quadrant
Only if Bloomington, Indiana is nuked and the Janeway's wiped out during Into Darkness. Then Tuvok from New Vulcan gets command of Voyager. Who chooses to not destroy the Caretaker's array. Thus getting home early.

OR quantum slipstream is developed early and a more advanced Voyager outruns the Caretaker's teleportation beam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Example due to the death of Amanda Spocks father dies of his illness and there is no peace in several places
Or does Sarek's heart problem get treated - by a Vulcan surgeon - earlier due to discreet intervention from Spock-Prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Example the babal conference has no vulcan delegate Corridan becomes an orion world
Or do they send Spock-Prime instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
so many changes are possible
Agreed.

STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 911
# 76
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Nice, however nothing JJ makes can equal DS9, hell none of the other series approached DS9 in anyway.
I liked DS9 well enough. But I don't think it overshadowed the other series. At least it's darker tone was interpreted through story arcs. Over most of a season. With reasonable build up and resolve. I can't predict Trek 2's method for drawing in the viewer in two hours. Or how satisfied with the conclusion we may be.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 46
# 77
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Pffft...this Star Trek thing is becoming darker and more violent as time goes by...
What happened to the space adventure genre? Exploration, discovery, diplomacy...Oh no, no, no, we need wars. Yeah, wars. And lots of violence. And death. And despair. And death again. That's what gets the pop-corn eating audience to see a movie. And lens flares. Don't forget the lens flares. And the shaky seizure-inducing camera movement.
Remember "A Voyage Home"? What a disaster that movie was. Because there were no lens flares.
I can't even imagine Picard being in the Abram-verse.
You know what the Abram-verse universe reminds me of? The alternate reality Starfleet in "Yesterday's Enterprise". Starfleet is more of a military organization now.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 78
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Actually there are going to be changes

Example Tuvok was never born

OR Tuvok just isn't born on Vulcan. But New Vulcan instead.
nope
does not work
if he was born to a dying race he would not join starfleet


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
thus voyager is never lost in the delta quadrant

Only if Bloomington, Indiana is nuked and the Janeway's wiped out during Into Darkness. Then Tuvok from New Vulcan gets command of Voyager. Who chooses to not destroy the Caretaker's array. Thus getting home early.
janeway dies as an ensign because Tuvok does not exist


Quote:
OR quantum slipstream is developed early and a more advanced Voyager outruns the Caretaker's teleportation beam.
its impossible in jj verse


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Example due to the death of Amanda Spocks father dies of his illness and there is no peace in several places

Or does Sarek's heart problem get treated - by a Vulcan surgeon - earlier due to discreet intervention from Spock-Prime?
who dare not interfere
AND who dies himself long before due to temporal stress
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Example the babal conference has no vulcan delegate Corridan becomes an orion world

Or do they send Spock-Prime instead?
representing who?
Vulcan no longer has a vote
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,852
# 79
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Enterprise would be history by the time of Spock's/Nero's actions, but 150 years of future history have been thrown in the crapper.
The only reason the Borg became aware of humanity was due to Q's meddling, avoid Q, avoid the Borg. If the Borg never came to the Alpha quadrant to begin with they would never have gone back to Earths history to eventually be found by the NX01.
The only reason for Khan being found was because the Enterprise was in the right place at the right time to find the Botany Bay, put the Enterprise somewhere else and the Bounty bay continues to drift in empty space and Khan and the augments remain a historical footnote.
This time travel nonsense has thrown a wrench in the works of all of the Star Trek we know, that's why they did it, so then can make up all new stories that have nothing to do with Star Trek's history.

Instead of creating something that fits with the existing franchise, they pushed the magic reset button, time travel, which in my opinion, sucks.
you know that its meant to be a parallel reality now? so we have the prime timeline and the new one. they both run along side each other just like the mirror universe does and the infinite other realities that have been suggested in other trek episodes.

nothing has been deleted or removed. the prime timeline is still there. it does allow them to tell new stories but it does not invalidate the old ones. its a 'what if' type reality.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
# 80
12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
nope
does not work
if he was born to a dying race he would not join starfleet
So are you Tuvok? Have you lived his life and know exactly what he's going to do next Tuesday? Unfortunately you are not. As a result of the destruction of Vulcan there could be tons of reasons as to why Tuvok would choose to either join Starfleet or not join it. To be honest it could go either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
janeway dies as an ensign because Tuvok does not exist
Who says it's Tuvok that has to save Janeway? If Tuvok for some reason chose not to join Starfleet then what if she met someone else and what if that someone else saved her life? There's nothing that says that it's Tuvok that has to save her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
representing who?
Vulcan no longer has a vote
Planet or no planet.. .I'm pretty sure the Vulcans are still a Federation member.

Look when it comes down to it all I think you are worrying about things that really do not matter. As stoleviathan99 pointed out, destinies always find a way of fulfilling themselves. Voyager would still get lost in the Delta Quadrant (whether Tuvok or Janeways are there), the Dominion War would probably still happen, Picard would still become Locutus, etc. etc. These things were meant to happen. Yes, the way that these events happen might be different.. other things might be different.. but the important events.. the destinies would remain the same.

On a side note, I find it really troubling that some Star Trek fans still have such a difficult time grasping that the Abrams-verse is an alternate universe. (I'm not specifically meaning the person I quoted above, just in general). The Prime Timeline still exists. Everything that happened in TNG, DS9 and Voyager still happened. No need to worry.

I'm a hardcore Trekkie and for a long while I had a very difficult time accepting the 2009 movie. Is it the Star Trek we all know and love? Not really. TV and movies are different now and the same stuff that aired in the 60s and then subsequently the 90s just won't fly anymore in this day and age unfortunately. It's fair enough if you just don't like it.. when it comes to Trek, for reasons I just don't understand, we're a hard bunch to please. Go enjoy STID for what it is if you want to.. but nobody is forcing you to accept it into your life. The prime timeline is still there for everyone to enjoy, including you!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM.