Captain
# 81
12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
So about the new Star Trek 2 poster.......

I hope to god that is a cruel prank.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Survivor of Romulus
# 82
12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
So are you Tuvok? Have you lived his life and know exactly what he's going to do next Tuesday? Unfortunately you are not. As a result of the destruction of Vulcan there could be tons of reasons as to why Tuvok would choose to either join Starfleet or not join it. To be honest it could go either way.
After the death of Vulcan no Vulcan can join starfleet
Logic dictates they do NOTHING dangerous and nothing that reduces breeding numbers for at least 12 generations to regain numbers
indeed they would have to breed constantly which would mean artificially induced pon far

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
janeway dies as an ensign because Tuvok does not exist

Who says it's Tuvok that has to save Janeway? If Tuvok for some reason chose not to join Starfleet then what if she met someone else and what if that someone else saved her life? There's nothing that says that it's Tuvok that has to save her.
You have Seen janeway
No one with a normal capacity for emotion would save the whinging little pest in her youth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
representing who?
Vulcan no longer has a vote

Planet or no planet.. .I'm pretty sure the Vulcans are still a Federation member.
nope
they are federation citizens
but with no planet they have no council seat
besides there aren't enough of them to host a reasonably sized poker game

Quote:
Look when it comes down to it all I think you are worrying about things that really do not matter. As stoleviathan99 pointed out, destinies always find a way of fulfilling themselves.
not if you timestrike the main people behind them

time is a strong river
drop a twig (kill a messenger) and it returns to its bed
drop a Tree (kill a politician ) it returns to its bed
Drop a mountain in it (kill the man who actually matters like for example Kirk Senior) and it changes course

Quote:
Voyager would still get lost in the Delta Quadrant (whether Tuvok or Janeways are there),
Nah
A completely different captain is assigned
the Marque are wiped out and the Captain gets a promotion

or the smarter captain uses a timer on the array

Quote:
the Dominion War would probably still happen
yes but the federation loses

Quote:
#, Picard would still become Locutus, etc. etc.
piccard is unlikely to be born

Quote:
These things were meant to happen. Yes, the way that these events happen might be different.. other things might be different.. but the important events.. the destinies would remain the same.
there is no such thing as destiny

on the plus side this younger kirk WILL kneel to Apollo

Quote:
On a side note, I find it really troubling that some Star Trek fans still have such a difficult time grasping that the Abrams-verse is an alternate universe. (I'm not specifically meaning the person I quoted above, just in general). The Prime Timeline still exists. Everything that happened in TNG, DS9 and Voyager still happened. No need to worry.
there is only ONE universe (thats what Universe means)
the "mirror" is merely a cracked part of it

Quote:
I'm a hardcore Trekkie and for a long while I had a very difficult time accepting the 2009 movie. Is it the Star Trek we all know and love? Not really. TV and movies are different now and the same stuff that aired in the 60s and then subsequently the 90s just won't fly anymore in this day and age unfortunately.
yes you can't have heroes now
everyone has to be sex mad and flawed

Quote:
It's fair enough if you just don't like it.. when it comes to Trek, for reasons I just don't understand, we're a hard bunch to please. Go enjoy STID for what it is if you want to.. but nobody is forcing you to accept it into your life. The prime timeline is still there for everyone to enjoy, including you!
we have to save the universe And todays kids from thinking its ok to treat Green women as disposable
Starfleet Veteran
# 83
12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
....snip snip snip snip snip
You sir really have a one-dimensional way of thinking about the Star Trek Universe. Your one comment about Janeway was enough of a warning bell to me and pretty much gives me all of the information I need to know regarding this discussion in your point of view.. so with that... good luck with your Trekking!
Captain
# 84
12-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Repeat after me: the butterfly effect does not exist. Destiny is a natural force. If one person doesn't do something, history will impose the next best approximation.
If Destiny were a factor it would have been impossible for Nero to destroy Vulcan. Destiny presupposes that events are manipulated by some outside guiding force and free will and random chance do not exist, sorry but things don't work that way in any reality I'm aware of, but I do think that these movies have been getting extremely predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
you know that its meant to be a parallel reality now? so we have the prime timeline and the new one. they both run along side each other just like the mirror universe does and the infinite other realities that have been suggested in other trek episodes.

nothing has been deleted or removed. the prime timeline is still there. it does allow them to tell new stories but it does not invalidate the old ones. its a 'what if' type reality.
Except this new reality is going to have lots of shallow flash bang quicky trills with none of the intellectual flavor of the old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post

Nope that's what happens to Earth when you have JJ at the helm, everything gets blown up, but it's all better by the end of the movie.
Captain
# 85
12-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Star Trek universe is powered by the needs of the plot, not destiny.
# 86
12-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post

I fear it's not!
Lt. Commander
# 87
12-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I wonder why he's picking on London?

(the Wheel is on the left and that Torpedo Building (I forgot its name) is on the right)
Captain
# 88
12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I puked watching the first 5 mins of the 2009 movie. Good thing it was on free on Netflix at the time. If I saw it in the theater I would be demanding my money back. So I will spend my time/money on a movie far better on watching. JJ should quit on these movies and stick with movies on being lost. That is all he is totally lost.
Captain
# 89
12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie1966 View Post
I wonder why he's picking on London?

(the Wheel is on the left and that Torpedo Building (I forgot its name) is on the right)
London is overdue.
Tokyo gets nailed every time a new giant monster is born, it's kind of miraculous that San Fransisco hasn't slid into the sea by the 23th Century and I think New York has been blown up enough for everyone's tastes for a while.
So it's either London or Vegas.
Lt. Commander
# 90
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
London is overdue.
Tokyo gets nailed every time a new giant monster is born, it's kind of miraculous that San Fransisco hasn't slid into the sea by the 23th Century and I think New York has been blown up enough for everyone's tastes for a while.
So it's either London or Vegas.
Vegas has had it share:

Damnation Alley (1977)

Mars Attacks! (1996)

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

2012 (2009)

Destruction: Las Vegas (made for TV movie - 2013)

San Francisco is due to slide in about 18 days.

Last edited by herbie1966; 12-03-2012 at 06:23 PM.