Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
# 11
11-28-2012, 12:40 PM
ESO sounds pretty good from everything I've seen, heard, and read. It really seems like they're trying to make it an actual TES game, just as an MMO.

My only gripe is races are locked into factions. Screw you too Zenimax.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I think it's a flawed question.

WoW killer: the only thing that will kill WoW at this point is itself. It won't go on forever, it will die at some point, but not due to another game. It's already old, and eventually it'll peter out until Blizzard decides not to maintain it any longer. Couldn't tell you how long this'll take. Probably years. But I don't really see that any game will get that right time, right place, right environment combination to go huge. Especially with the over-saturated market right now, no new game, not even triple A titles will come close.

If this is the case, then we must revise our expectations and revise what "disappointment" means. Is a game a disappointment if it only has 1 million players? What if it only has 500,000 but is making money, has a strong community and a good dev team?

IMO, the only real question each player has to ask themselves is, do I like X particular game. If the answer is yes, then play. If the answer is no, then don't. If the game isn't out yet, then reserve judgement until it is.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 11-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Commander
# 13
11-28-2012, 01:55 PM
The only thing that I really like about the Elder Scrolls games is the extensive mod support. I don't expect to play TESO, though I'll give it a try if it's F2P or if there's a trial.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Elder Scrolls and WoW for that matter completely bore me to tears. Just another elves and mages game that have flooded the market.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Republic Veteran
# 15
11-28-2012, 05:43 PM
The only thing that will kill ESO is the company that owns it. Will Bethesda be as tolerant of ESO's low profit margins as Cryptic is of STO's? That's why Atari sold Cryptic. Atari was expecting a huge payout at launch rather than the longterm margin that MMOs typically provide.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.