Captain
Both warriors are fighting with primarily bladed weapons, and wearing mid-grade armor of leather, with some metal reinforcement... Both have a martial culture and no fear of death in battle. Who do you think would win, and why?

Samurai:
Close Range - katana
Mid Range - naginata
Long Range - yumi bow (Assuming a miss to discount long range easy kill)
Special Weapon - kanabo

Klingon:
Close Range - mek'leth
Mid Range - bat'leth
Long Range - disruptor pistol (Assuming a miss to discount long range easy kill)
Special Weapon - brak'lul

This is something I've been mentally debating since first seeing Deadliest Warrior, but I still haven't decided who I think would definitely win... The kanabo can deliver blows which would shatter bones in the Klingon's arms or legs, so that would be the equalizer to the Klingon's inherant strength advantage and resilience. However, I think both the bat'leth and the mek'leth are more versatile weapons than the katana or the naginata in a duel...

My instinct is to say that the Klingon would win due to greater strength, and more versatile weapons, however, I do believe that if the Samurai went about it the right way, he could kill the Klingon...
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
The Klingon
Because his weapon is made of Much stronger metal and he will simply Break the Katana

also when the samurai bows politely the klingon will kick him in the unmentionables
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Klingons. It would be a messy and quick fight, but the Klingon would could handle much more damage in the end (with redundant organs etc etc). Also the Samurai are over-sensationalised through popular culture/movies, and blown out of proportion in a practical sense. In the end the tactics developed by the Samurai are not made for a Klingon (I have been studying various martial arts myself in RL for over 20 years btw and would not take on a Klingon).
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 4
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
Klingons. It would be a messy and quick fight, but the Klingon would could handle much more damage in the end (with redundant organs etc etc). Also the Samurai are over-sensationalised through popular culture/movies, and blown out of proportion in a practical sense. In the end the tactics developed by the Samurai are not made for a Klingon (I have been studying various martial arts myself in RL for over 20 years btw and would not take on a Klingon).
Dude, that is weak, David Marcus tried to fight the Klingon to protect Saavik (who being Vulcan was easily strong enough to handle the Klingon herself ) and I doubt he had much in the way of training... Okay, so he wound up getting stabbed with a d'k tahg, but he at least gave it his best shot

Joshing aside, I think you're quite right in your analysis...
Empire Veteran
# 5
11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Both fighters being considered masters it would still be close but the Klingon has the advantage thanks to thier physiology consisting a body more designed for redunancy and heavy self protection.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 6
11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Klingon vs. Samurai? Klingon.

Klingon vs. Viking? Now there's a fight.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 7
11-30-2012, 12:36 AM
The samurai would win.

In the time of samurai, or Western knights, there were still foot soldiers, just like in the world of Homer, where great heroes with amazing gear and skill fight amongst hundreds of nobody peasant soldiers and squires who were conscripted and thrown onto the battlefield after a month's training and with whatever cheapo gear was available, made mostly of leather and wood.

The advantage a Japanese samurai, Western knight, Roman equitus or Greek hero has over the rank-and-file army of conscripted nobodies on both sides is his gear, his training, and his martial tradition. These advantages are so great that he can kill several dozen men in a single day of battle, every day, while receiving only superficial wounds in turn.

A Japanese samurai - elite by definition - versus a typical Klingon warrior would be no contest. The fact the Klingon has probably thirty kilos on him and a bunch of redundant organs would be less significant than the fact the samurai is, by definition, a trained fighter, whereas the Klingon is just another soldier in the KDF. No different than a trained martial artist taking out a street thug twice his size, or an undergeared PvPer taking out an overgeared noob.

Now if you were to ask how Genji or Yojimbo would stack up against Worf or Duras or Gowron, that's another question entirely. I still think the samurai would win. They had incredible training and discipline and elegance of form and developed tools and weapons that the Klingons just don't. Nothing of what we see of the Klingons suggests they have that degree of pure skill.

Superior skill will beat superior force. Every time.

Last edited by aestu; 11-30-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
11-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Are we going any old Klingon vs. any old Samurai?

I'm going to assume we're talking about a Klingon of the closest equivalent to the Samurai in terms of status in their respective military structures; a seasoned and well-trained warrior vs. a seasoned and well-trained warrior.

I've got to give it to the Klingon, for one main reason; superior physical strength.

This fight is, in a lot of ways, reminiscent of the Samurai vs. Viking match from Deadliest Warrior, in which the Samurai barely came out on top. The Vikings were brutal and straight-forward, but more importantly were psychologically conditioned to be wild and fast fighters. The Samurai were cool-headed, extremely precise, and had the more effective close-range gear. Normally you'd expect skill to win by far against berzerkers, yet we saw with this that the difference was a lot smaller than you'd expect.

The Klingons are basically the same as the Vikings. Strong, brutal, straight-forward. The only thing they have that the Vikings didn't is some sense of honor not dissimilar from the Samurai. But they have what is literally inhuman strength backing their blows; Samurai armor could resist a Viking blade swung at human speeds and forces, but I seriously doubt it could stand up to a bat'leth swung by a Klingon.

Having said that, I think it'd be a very close match. There's a lot to be said for a cool head, and those katana are pretty nasty, easily sturdy and sharp enough to make Klingon redundant physiology a non-issue by virtue of cutting through vast swaths of flesh in one strike. To put it in Deadliest Warrior metrics, I'd imagine the wins outcome to look something like Klingon 1050 to Samurai 950
Career Officer
# 9
11-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Any match involving a samurai is winner-take-all.
Captain
# 10
11-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Klingon as they are based on The Vikings.The Vikings had the best metal forgers on the Wolrd not even today they can make Iron as good as they did over 1000 years.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers