Lieutenant
# 1 Mannequin Featured Project
11-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Our fleet Just finished it, and I went to have a look

Its pretty nice, I do like it but can you please add a Plaque to each one depicting the dates that those uniforms were in service ?

because they seem pretty out of place there without plaques,
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
Our fleet Just finished it, and I went to have a look

Its pretty nice, I do like it but can you please add a Plaque to each one depicting the dates that those uniforms were in service ?

because they seem pretty out of place there without plaques,
Can't agree with you about them being "pretty nice". The basic idea was decent, and the effort is appreciated like all things from the talented folks at the Cryptic art department, but the implementation was sub-par to put it nicely. Remarkably, the project is both a tribute, and an (hopefully unintentional) insult to all the creative efforts of William Ware Theiss, Bob Blackman, Robert Fletcher, and Nilo Rodis.

Almost every uniform shown has the wrong color shades like they've been washed and worn down heavily many times. It's as if our fleet base npc staff found some old spare uniforms from the janitor's closet and threw them on replicated dummies (all in swagger stance too...very odd). The TOS uniform has a grey collar (they're supposed to be jet black), the Wrath of Khan era jacket is salmon pink when it should be burgundy red, and the First Contact/late DS9 uniform's department color shirt is (again) salmon pink when it should be (again) burgundy red just to name a few examples. At least it appears they got Kirk's TMP command uniform spot-on.

Cryptic is well aware of Blackavaar's canon color guide on STOWiki (they stickied a link to it here on the forums) and could have easily referenced it in the making of this project. If we have to pay 200k dilithium for these vanity resource sinks, we absolutely deserve the best of efforts that can be accomplished with the simplest of research, not laziness or inaccurate interpretation.

By the way, nice to see the Adapted MACO armor at the far end of the lineup...nice little tease for those of us still grinding to Omega Tier 5, but shame the helmet wasn't included in the display.

Plaques would be nice, or they could add interaction options on the displays to get a dialogue pop-up detailing the purpose and history of the uniform. Again, the value from 200k dil more than deserves it. Plenty of Trek uniform fan websites out there to copy and paste and paraphrase from.

My personal suggestion would be to replace the mannequins with holographic examples of classic canon characters wearing these iconic uniforms (in the STO style of course). They've given us Spock, McCoy, and Scotty in past featured episodes already. Where's Archer, Kirk, Nurse Chapel, Chekov (or Sulu), and Sisko? I suppose we'd have to pay an additional 1 million dil to get that, huh? Yeah, thought so...

Last edited by hylanvahr; 11-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.