Captain
# 21
12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I believe Havraha from Podcast UGC spoke with a dev who said that one or more of the original designers was a bigger fan of Halo and Mass Effect than Star Trek and that, over time, the team cycled around to more traditional Star Trek fans who didn't think the core Star Trek designs needed "fixing" quite so much. (I know that before the game launched, Cryptic had ILM artists doing the map concept artwork; ESD and Memory Alpha were designed by one of the Pirates of the Carribean artists. And I think there was a skew towards people whose background was in film/video game design but relatively little Trek background.)
The world makes so much sense now...

Quote:
I know there was a definite shift in ship art. At launch, the idea was that ships were supposed to be cartooned, stylized versions of Trek ships. Logan and later Jamjamz were instrumental in making ships look more Trek accurate, when the original idea was that they weren't supposed to be, that they were shooting for caricatures of Trek ships.
So in other words STO was going to look like TOR? That's a terrifying proposition.

Quote:
I really think art direction overall is one place the community has had a tremendous role in the feedback process. It's not just that Cryptic "got better." It's that what they were shooting for changed. At launch, the inaccuracy was pretty deliberate (not accidental but intentional deviations; there was a desire to change what Star Trek looked like) and the community and new hires over time really changed that.
Good. I hope it continues toward in that direction.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Career Officer
# 22
12-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Quote:
I always hated these suggestions.

I only buy uniforms for my characters because you have to look at them. There's no value if you can opt out of seeing them.
The problem I have with this is that because people like yourself want to be unique little snowflakes I have to put up with this game looking more like a Star Trek convention than the Star Trek universe.
Joined August 2008
Empire Veteran
# 23
12-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
I believe Havraha from Podcast UGC spoke with a dev who said that one or more of the original designers was a bigger fan of Halo and Mass Effect than Star Trek and that, over time, the team cycled around to more traditional Star Trek fans who didn't think the core Star Trek designs needed "fixing" quite so much. (I know that before the game launched, Cryptic had ILM artists doing the map concept artwork; ESD and Memory Alpha were designed by one of the Pirates of the Carribean artists. And I think there was a skew towards people whose background was in film/video game design but relatively little Trek background.)

The Jupiter uniforms were old Perpetual designs with a few touch ups and since then, it's been hardcore Trek fans designing everything. I think Thomas himself did the basic concept sketches for the Odyssey uniforms.

I know there was a definite shift in ship art. At launch, the idea was that ships were supposed to be cartooned, stylized versions of Trek ships. Logan and later Jamjamz were instrumental in making ships look more Trek accurate, when the original idea was that they weren't supposed to be, that they were shooting for caricatures of Trek ships.

I really think art direction overall is one place the community has had a tremendous role in the feedback process. It's not just that Cryptic "got better." It's that what they were shooting for changed. At launch, the inaccuracy was pretty deliberate (not accidental but intentional deviations; there was a desire to change what Star Trek looked like) and the community and new hires over time really changed that.
You know, you should make a new thread explaining all this to the community It makes so much sense about the direction of the game

And will shed new light on people's conceptions about why this game was or wasn't Trek to them. Back then, or now
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
perhaps defaults by era (select one option)
Enterprise era
TOS
TNG
Voyager
DS9
Freaky deeky (The STO new ones)
Captain
# 25
12-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
The problem I have with this is that because people like yourself want to be unique little snowflakes I have to put up with this game looking more like a Star Trek convention than the Star Trek universe.
But Cryptic is encouraging it with their stupid looking NPC's. If the NPC's had something awesome, like the TNG movie, or Odyssey uniforms, then People wouldn't mind looking like that. But when they're potato sacks with cleavage.... then I'll go for ANYTHING else.

Career Officer
# 26
12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
But Cryptic is encouraging it with their stupid looking NPC's. If the NPC's had something awesome, like the TNG movie, or Odyssey uniforms, then People wouldn't mind looking like that. But when they're potato sacks with cleavage.... then I'll go for ANYTHING else.
There's this.

There's also that, when you look at it, Star Trek characters in the feature films tend to wear odd uniform variants and be out of uniform a lot.

I don't think the game is supposed to simulate "life in Starfleet" but is really supposed to be a world with 200,000 James T. Kirks. If you can get past that, the diversity isn't that big of a deal.
Captain
# 27
12-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
There's this.

There's also that, when you look at it, Star Trek characters in the feature films tend to wear odd uniform variants and be out of uniform a lot.

I don't think the game is supposed to simulate "life in Starfleet" but is really supposed to be a world with 200,000 James T. Kirks. If you can get past that, the diversity isn't that big of a deal.
Yes, but if the NPC's had good looking uniforms, then players would use them, at least with one slot. You can very well argue the 200,000 James T. Kirk thing, but even he wore standard uniforms.

Career Officer
# 28
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Yes, but if the NPC's had good looking uniforms, then players would use them, at least with one slot. You can very well argue the 200,000 James T. Kirk thing, but even he wore standard uniforms.
Oh. Definitely.

And I wouldn't mind if there was a good official uniform like the Odyssey and I was auto-placed into it on ESD and other starbases, I guess.

But aboard my ship, in missions, and elsewhere, I wear what I want.

But then, again, you're talking about a request made of the systems team. And I think as player, we'd be better off not making requests of them. Not for cosmetic features. Not for game features. I think anything that goes through that branch of the development team will be what comes back and bites us.
Career Officer
# 29
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
Forcing NPCs to use certain uniforms via client-side options is fine and good, but extending that onto players is silly. I refuse to let other peoples' views of canon prevent me from having my equally valid view displayed in game, and if that bothers you, sorry. Your opinion of canon has no right to dictate what I put my character in any less than you can tell me what to wear IRL.
Lieutenant
# 30
12-02-2012, 12:57 AM
It seems the Oddy uniform is the new 'default', given it looks nearly identical to the Starfleet Academy jacket and the pips are exactly the same too. Perhaps this is the 'official' uniform of the 25th century for Starfleet.