Captain
Hey everybody,

In this thread I'll give some very useful tips for the upcoming launch of Season 8: The Sphere.

==Parking your characters==
{WARNING: SPOILERS FOR FEATURED EPISODE}
Most of the new content we are receiving in Season 8 will play in the Solanae Dyson Sphere. This sphere is located in the Delta Quadrant, and as such not in any of the currently existing Sector Blocks.
With the Featured Episode "Spheres of Influence" we did found a massive Iconian gateway in the Jouret System, which is located in the top left corner of the Azure sector of the Tau Dewa Sector Block (Image). It is likely that we will use this gateway for getting to the Delta Quadrant, although THIS HAS YET TO BE CONFIRMED. Placing your characters close to the Jouret system will most likely place you in the perfect position to start playing the new content.

==Choosing your gear==
According to Dev blog 6 and Dev blog 7 the Voth, your new enemies, are defensive in nature. This will most likely mean that sheer DPS won't be the best strategy for taking on the Voth. You will need some ability to take damage yourself, so consider this when you are equipping your ships and characters for fighting the Voth.

==Preparing recourses==
Season 8 is going to bring a new Reputation and a new Fleet holding. Both of these are going to need a large amount of recourses to advance. By starting to save up your dilithium, energy credits, duty officers and expertise today, you are going to have an easier game in 9 days.

==Getting information==
Cryptic has been providing us with a large amount of information regarding Season 8. Our Community Manager BranFlakes has been so kind to create a clear overview of all dev blogs. This list can be found here.
The most important dev blogs regarding season 8 are: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12.

==Preparing for launch==
Any seasonal patch is a big one. And you don't want to be locked away in the launcher while your friends are already hunting down their first dinosaurs with laser beams. The best way to prepare yourself for this is to sign up for Tribble.
This will open up a new option in the launcher, above the Patch Progress display, that allows you to choose for Holodeck (the main server), Tribble (the Test Server) or Redshirt (the secondary Test Server, not used as much as Tribble). By clicking on Tribble, STO will start a new patch. This will be 85% copying your existing game files and 15% the Season 8 content that is live on Tribble as we read.
What will this do? Simply. Like the game has copied your Holodeck files to use for Tribble after you signed up, the game will copy your Tribble files for Holodeck use on the 12th of November. This will mean that you will have a lot less to download, but more copying. And believe me: downloading will be slow since the servers will have to handle a huge amount of download requests.
Additionally to adding to speed, you will have access to the Season 8 content on Tribble, where you can help testing the content. This is entirely optional ofcourse.

==Avoiding queues==
Well, login queues are possible to occur. After Legacy of Romulus first went live, there were sometimes queues of over ten thousand people trying to log in. This is very easy to avoid: go gold for a month. Next to all the other benefits (if you have 5 characters, the benefits you unlock are around 8725 zen), you will be placed in front of any login queue, so you will not have to wait for thousands of players to log off before you can begin.

==Be patient==
If the other season updates have taught us anything, it is that the first week will probably have a lot of down time to fix new bugs and to stabilize the server. Don't go cursing around when the game is patching when you are preparing to play. This period wil never last longer than 2 weeks, and then the game will be more enjoyable as it is today.

That is my list of preparations. I am making them all myself (I'm now even in my first month ever of being gold since I started playing the game in February 2012). These simple preparations will allow you to meet the Voth battle ready.

I am hoping that this list will help you as much as they help me. If anything new comes to mind, I will update this post to keep up with current known information.
Not knowing something isn't a sign of stupidity, not asking is.
WE NEED THE EXCELSIOR ERA BRIDGES INGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Undine of Ganalda - a forum light RP game
Proud leader of Delta Task Force
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
11-04-2013, 03:45 AM
+1 For this Thread, really good advice here
Captain
# 3
11-04-2013, 03:57 AM
voth will do antiproton dmg...so antiproton resi shields will come in handy. making the resB on fleet shields even more valuable.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 4
11-04-2013, 03:57 AM
A nice overview, thanks for the effort.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 5
11-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmkota19 View Post
==Avoiding queues==
Well, login queues are possible to occur. After Legacy of Romulus first went live, there were sometimes queues of over ten thousand people trying to log in. This is very easy to avoid: go gold for a month. Next to all the other benefits (if you have 5 characters, the benefits you unlock are around 8725 zen), you will be placed in front of any login queue, so you will not have to wait for thousands of players to log off before you can begin.
DON'T sugarcoat this...

Going gold, will only put you in front of the non-subscribers... You can (and most likely will) still end up in a somewhat smaller queue, behind the other golds who did the same... but its still a queue.

And the more people who subscribe, the longer the queue gets.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 6
11-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
DON'T sugarcoat this...

Going gold, will only put you in front of the non-subscribers... You can (and most likely will) still end up in a somewhat smaller queue, behind the other golds who did the same... but its still a queue.

And the more people who subscribe, the longer the queue gets.
I always wait a few days, then I get in, no probs. That and I have Teflon walls so I don't go climbing up them...............much.
LTS Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.

I am currenty unsupervised, anyone who knows me will inform you that his will mostly lead to trouble =3
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Great advice. But you forgot only one thing... fill your cargohold with cans of Raid. You have to deal with a lot of the bugs yourself!
Career Officer
# 8
11-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Many of us, once we hit endgame, don't bother much with ground missions that use away teams.

This means that our boffs may not be as well set up as they could be.

I understand that the new content allows us to bring boffs with us, so if you're like me and haven't even looked at your boffs kit in a while it may be worthwhile to spend a little time equipping them a bit better.
Career Officer
# 9
11-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I appreciate the tips and will be checking in here often to read the updates and additions to your advice.

One quickie about the queues... Since I am still in the middle of the Cardassia missions, will the increase in attention on the Season 8 material mean shorter queues for the rest of the STO universe?

Thanks!
CM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwelaughingtrendy
Virtually our virtuous captains are victorious over vicious Undine vessels from viscous space.
Captain
# 10
11-05-2013, 05:20 PM
ah for sad my gold sub was 3 months now over, holidays coming doubt Ill get gold for a while, GG thread though, good luck and have fun all!!