Career Officer
# 1 Risian Birds - 2014 Guide
06-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Last year, I put together a post describing how to acquire and raise Risian Birds. I also compiled information from the community on what different stages, mutations, and breeds looked like. While the old post had lots of helpful information, differences in the Summer Event would make it quite confusing. So I am starting again, building on the same data but accounting for new information from 2014.

How to raise your Risian tropical bird
To start off, you're going to need a Risian Tropical Bird Egg. You can get these randomly from Horga'hns in the Horga'hn hunt that goes on at about 23 minutes after each hour. You can also buy eggs for 150 favors, which averages out to three hunts' worth of rewards.
Hatching your egg
Hatching the egg is simple. Talk to the Ornithologist (on the second floor of the Shopping Promenade) and accept the assignment to hatch your egg. It takes two scientists and has no critical success option. It will take 24 hours and give you a random bird chick.
Raising your chick
Talk to the Ornithologist again, and pick the breed of bird you have. Then, select the assignment to raise your fledgling. As your bird grows, you will be able to select the appropriate assignment for each age bracket. This takes 24 hours, and scientists with peaceful or seductive traits will increase your chance to mutate your bird into a tufted variant. Biologists will lower your critical chance, but purple scientists of other disciplines are rather good at increasing critical chance.

This year, you can purchase blue Risian Geologists with both crit traits from the vendor on the far end of the Promenade for 200 favors. If you have the 'Master Relaxer' accolade (complete a bunch of accolades across the island), you can get a purple geologist with both crit traits for 1000 favors. These can be very helpful, but you'll have to decide if they're worth the favors (Thanks, admrenlarreck!)
Raising your tufted bird
If you're lucky enough to have your bird 'mutate' on a critical success, you will receive a tufted version of your breed. These have their own raising assignments, but these operate pretty much the same as normal ones, just without a mutation chance.

Bird type information
On the surface, tufted/normal birds seem the same as the ornamented/normal winter epohhs. Birds of each breed increase in size as they go from chick/hatchling to fledgling to adult to senior. They also get slightly more vivid colors and long tufts of feathers on a critical success. There are, however, a few anomalies, especially in the unique coloration of Tufted Adults, which is lost when they are raised to Tufted Seniors. Here is a picture in the dev blogs that includes some of the variants.
Note: I will order the colors when written as in this 'diagram':

________((((
________<=< ____________primary/stripe/feathers
________((((

Seaspray
Normal - red/gold/blue (first row, first column here)
Tufted - red/yellow/blue with tufts
Adult Tufted - green/yellow/blue with tufts (third row, first column here)

Dusk Diver
Normal - navy/pale yellow/blue (second row, first column here)
Tufted - navy/yellow/blue with tufts
Adult Tufted - blue/light blue/maroon with tufts (fourth row, first column here)

Grotto Glider
Normal - olive/red/gold (first row, second column here)
Tufted - olive/red/gold with tufts
Adult Tufted - green/red/yellow with tufts (third row, second column here)

Passion Wing
Normal - pink/gold/purple (first row, third column here)
Tufted -pink/yellow/purple with tufts
Adult Tufted - hot pink/red/indigo with tufts (third row, third column here)

Firespray
Normal -dark maroon/white/maroon (second row, third column here)
Tufted - dark maroon/yellow/magenta with tufts
Adult Tufted - red/orange/yellow with tufts (fourth row, third column here)

Sunset Streamer
Normal -magenta/pale yellow/orange (second row, second column here)
Tufted - magenta/yellow/orange with tufts
Adult Tufted - maroon/white/green with tufts (fourth row, second column here)
Bird of Paradise
This bird, seen at the bottom of this picture, is not attainable by players. It exists only at the Vista points associated with the 'The Big Year' accolade. Interacting with all of the Birds of Paradise will grant you this accolade and the title 'Ornithologist'.
Anomalies
Last year we noticed a few bugs in some of the bird forms. Untufted Passion Wing adults looked like Seasprays, and untufted Passion Wing fledglings looked like tufted Passion Wing fledglings. I will update if these are confirmed as either fixed or still existing this year.

If you notice anything about the Birds that is different from what I have here, or something that is no longer accurate as of 2014, please speak up! And thanks to all those who posted in last year's thread on bird color variation.
Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
, Re-emergence, and . . .

Last edited by denizenvi; 06-12-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
06-11-2014, 11:23 PM
*two thumbs up* Good job. I think I remember your old thread.

Career Officer
# 3
06-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Great post. It's a shame that the Dev posts aren't as good as yours.
Captain
# 4
06-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjgee View Post
Great post. It's a shame that the Dev posts aren't as good as yours.

Two thumbs up for this guy. and I agree to the quote as well.

you might want to add in that You can get blue and purple geologists that have both the Seductive and Peaceful traits for Favors on Risa.

Blue is 200 favors

Purple is 1000 favors and you have to have the Master Relaxer accolade complete

May the Prophets guide us in these cryptic times....
Career Officer
# 5
06-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admrenlarreck View Post
Two thumbs up for this guy. and I agree to the quote as well.

you might want to add in that You can get blue and purple geologists that have both the Seductive and Peaceful traits for Favors on Risa.

Blue is 200 favors

Purple is 1000 favors and you have to have the Master Relaxer accolade complete

Thanks! I'll update the post with that information.

Conjoined

Captain
# 6
06-12-2014, 09:59 AM
You dont need to waste 1000 favors on a purple doff... there is no need and it is too expensive. Too much.

If you have already a purple science doff, just use it. I get about 25% critical chance just using a purple warp theorist and a purple astrometric scientist but WITHOUT critical traits. And still i get the same (more or less) critical chance.
Captain
# 7
06-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm getting "400 Bad Request" messages on all the links I clicked on.

Getting the Risian Purple Doffs would be nice since I would eventually like all my Doffs to be Purple quality.

However, I can't really justify using 1,000 favors to get each one. As of last night I have been selling favors for 12,500 ECs each that means each of these Doffs costs the equivalent of 12.5 million ECs. Additionally, mutated birds are not worth any more than normal birds. All birds of a particular age group gives the same number of marks regardless if they are normal, mutated, or breed.

I started playing STO in Jan 2014 so I will assume that the value of favors will continue to drop on the Exchange over time. Perhaps when they drop to 4,000 ECs each (or less) I would consider using favors to buy a purple Doff, but that's still 4 million ECs. I need to review the various Doff missions to see if those traits are very useful for the missions I prefer to focus on.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by policestate76 View Post
You dont need to waste 1000 favors on a purple doff... there is no need and it is too expensive. Too much.

If you have already a purple science doff, just use it. I get about 25% critical chance just using a purple warp theorist and a purple astrometric scientist but WITHOUT critical traits. And still i get the same (more or less) critical chance.
Two purple non-Biologist Science doffs without either critical trait gives 20% chance. For everyone that doesn't know, you don't use Biologists on these assignments because there is effectively no failure or disaster chance, so using something that increases success will cost you critical chance, since that increase in success rate can only come from the critical rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
However, I can't really justify using 1,000 favors to get each one. As of last night I have been selling favors for 12,500 ECs each that means each of these Doffs costs the equivalent of 12.5 million ECs. Additionally, mutated birds are not worth any more than normal birds. All birds of a particular age group gives the same number of marks regardless if they are normal, mutated, or breed.
This isn't true. A Tufted bird will trade in for the same amount of marks as one level of development higher of a regular bird. For example, a Tufted Adult bird will trade in for 60 marks, the same amount as a Normal Senior, and a Tufted Senior will trade in for 100 marks.

Last edited by anodynes; 06-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
06-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
I'm getting "400 Bad Request" messages on all the links I clicked on.

I'm pretty sure this is a glitch that pops up every now and then for Cryptic's website. I've had pics not be viewable on devblogs before, the best I can suggest is to try a different browser. There's probably a better workaround, though. I'll see if there's a version of that picture hosted elsewhere, too. All my links go to the same picture, btw.

Conjoined

Captain
# 10
06-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Try this link

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps858d66a3.jpg

May the Prophets guide us in these cryptic times....

Last edited by admrenlarreck; 06-12-2014 at 12:44 PM.