Empire Veteran
# 1 My Fleet Excelsior
12-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I loved buying this ship, I wasted no time in getting it yesterday, that's for sure.

Weapons:

Fore: 3 Phased Tetryon Cannons Mk XI CrtH x2, and Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo
Aft: 4 Phased Tetryon Turrets Mk XI, all with at least 1 CrtH

Consoles:

Eng: 4 Neutronium Alloy Mk XI, rares
Sci: 2 Field Generators Mk XI, rares
Tactical: 4 Tetryon Pulse Generators Mk XI, rares

I use a Mk XI MACO space set on this as well.

BOFFs:

Cmdr Engineer: E-power to shields 1, RSP 1, E-power to shields 3, Aux to structural 3 (sometimes switch for EWP 3)
Lt. Cmdr Tac: Tac team 1, CSV 1, Torp spread 3 (sometimes switch to rapid fire 1 and high yield 3)
Lt. Engineer: Engineering Team 1, RSP 1
Lt. Sci: TSS 1, HE 2
Ensign Engineer: E-power to shields 1 (yes I know it's a third e-power to X ability)

DOFFs:

3 Shield Distribution Officers, purple
2 Hazard Systems Officers, purple (or in short, 5 BFI DOFFs)

I have been thinking about taking out the Hazard DOFFs and putting in two Technicians, along with one Aux to Battery in the place of the 2nd RSP.

PS, all this is for PvE related stuff.

Captain
# 2
12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
A rather nasty build, well done. Disclaimer: Everything I am about to say is based off of personal experience, but regardless of that is PERSONAL OPINION ONLY.

BUT you're missing components that I personally consider rather important. First off, since this looks like a heavily offensively oriented build, I will ask this. Where is your universal assimilated module? If you want damage, it's only really one of the best support standalone consoles out there for damage dealing... Other than that, I would just say get the MK XII set, since it's actually a little better (yes, that 8-10% increase in all the bonuses can matter), and since I know you've been around for quite a while, I would hope you have at least one extra set of mk XII maco crap lying around. Other than that, your console and weapons setup is simple and clean, and quite effective. Not that it matters, but I give that (other than the lack of universal assimilated module) my stamp of approval.

Concerning your Tactical BOffs, I have no recommendations/complaints there. It's a good balanced build (esp considering it's your only tactical BOff). My only real concern is that single copy of tactical team. You can't cycle it effectively (unless you are fine with a 20 second down time). I will go into more detail after I finish with my thrashing/fleecing/commentary on your build.

Concerning your Engineering BOffs, if you're really that concerned about the 3rd EPtX, then here's what I'd do. Take out your EPtS3, and change it to an EPtW3, OR RSP2 and change your RSP1 on your Cmdr to EPtW2. I don't honestly know why you have two RSPs, so I would say definitely change the second one to something (Aux2Batt is acceptable). Also do NOT for ANY reason get rid of Aux2SIF3. Especially if it's for PvE. Those mini heals can save your rear, especially since it has such a short CD. The main weakness of the Excelsior (and all cruisers save the Odyssey for that matter) is just the ridiculous preponderance of Engineering BOff slots, especially since so many abilities have a shared CD. So countering this is a little annoying. Actually, I just thought about this. Take your RSP 1 (the second one), and change that to an ES. Then you have the ability to support an ally if you need to, cuz you know what they say, two is better than one. Overall though, for a selfish cruiser build (not meant to be insulting, just using selfish meaning you're more concerned about staying alive and dealing damage before supporting, AKA standard DPS cruiser), it's pretty good, other than the recommendations I made.

Concerning your lone little Science Lt, looks fine. No changes needed there.

As for DOffs, considering what I brought up with your tactical BOff, I would take two slots (whatever you want) and put purple conn officers there. The reduction on TT cd will allow you to constantly cycle that ability. I don't know if it will be worth the sacrifice of your SDOs/HSOs, but in all honesty, I am not entirely sure what you're going for with that. Personally I would have this DOff setup (assume all purples): 2x Conn Officer (TT cd red), 2x Damage Control Engineers (EPtX cd red), 1x Warp Core Engineer (EPtX power level increase).

So yeah, just some thoughts on your build. TLDR, it's a good build as consoles and weapons go, a few minor weaknesses with BOffs, but overall I like it.

But I still hate the Excelsior =P
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Empire Veteran
# 3
12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
A rather nasty build, well done. Disclaimer: Everything I am about to say is based off of personal experience, but regardless of that is PERSONAL OPINION ONLY.

BUT you're missing components that I personally consider rather important. First off, since this looks like a heavily offensively oriented build, I will ask this. Where is your universal assimilated module? If you want damage, it's only really one of the best support standalone consoles out there for damage dealing... Other than that, I would just say get the MK XII set, since it's actually a little better (yes, that 8-10% increase in all the bonuses can matter), and since I know you've been around for quite a while, I would hope you have at least one extra set of mk XII maco crap lying around. Other than that, your console and weapons setup is simple and clean, and quite effective. Not that it matters, but I give that (other than the lack of universal assimilated module) my stamp of approval.

Concerning your Tactical BOffs, I have no recommendations/complaints there. It's a good balanced build (esp considering it's your only tactical BOff). My only real concern is that single copy of tactical team. You can't cycle it effectively (unless you are fine with a 20 second down time). I will go into more detail after I finish with my thrashing/fleecing/commentary on your build.

Concerning your Engineering BOffs, if you're really that concerned about the 3rd EPtX, then here's what I'd do. Take out your EPtS3, and change it to an EPtW3, OR RSP2 and change your RSP1 on your Cmdr to EPtW2. I don't honestly know why you have two RSPs, so I would say definitely change the second one to something (Aux2Batt is acceptable). Also do NOT for ANY reason get rid of Aux2SIF3. Especially if it's for PvE. Those mini heals can save your rear, especially since it has such a short CD. The main weakness of the Excelsior (and all cruisers save the Odyssey for that matter) is just the ridiculous preponderance of Engineering BOff slots, especially since so many abilities have a shared CD. So countering this is a little annoying. Actually, I just thought about this. Take your RSP 1 (the second one), and change that to an ES. Then you have the ability to support an ally if you need to, cuz you know what they say, two is better than one. Overall though, for a selfish cruiser build (not meant to be insulting, just using selfish meaning you're more concerned about staying alive and dealing damage before supporting, AKA standard DPS cruiser), it's pretty good, other than the recommendations I made.

Concerning your lone little Science Lt, looks fine. No changes needed there.

As for DOffs, considering what I brought up with your tactical BOff, I would take two slots (whatever you want) and put purple conn officers there. The reduction on TT cd will allow you to constantly cycle that ability. I don't know if it will be worth the sacrifice of your SDOs/HSOs, but in all honesty, I am not entirely sure what you're going for with that. Personally I would have this DOff setup (assume all purples): 2x Conn Officer (TT cd red), 2x Damage Control Engineers (EPtX cd red), 1x Warp Core Engineer (EPtX power level increase).

So yeah, just some thoughts on your build. TLDR, it's a good build as consoles and weapons go, a few minor weaknesses with BOffs, but overall I like it.

But I still hate the Excelsior =P

You hate the Excelsior?...BE GONE, HEATHEN!!!

To start, most of the heavy emphasis on 'I don't wanna die' is indeed selfish, but I, in PvE on this toon, am fully specced into threat, so the moment I start shooting (hence the focus on AoE damage), everything looks at me and says, 'Kill him!'.

I have the Borg console, I just generally don't run it because I prefer generally to run few to no universal consoles (except if a ship comes with it, and it's very useful for the ship as a whole). That said, I might run it on here. I do indeed have MACO Mk XII in space, but it's currently on my D'kora, which I can't quite bring myself to fully retire yet.

Heck, all my equipment, sans needing an extra Tetryon console, was taken right from my older Excelsior.

I do only ever run TT at level 1 though, I have never found it useful enough to use at a higher level, on any ship. I'm usually ok with cycling only one on this ship though.

It is annoying though about so many shared cooldowns on engineering abilities, it's what makes dealing with ensign slots such a pain. Still unsure what to do with the extra abilities, but I will take everything you said into consideration, and figure it out tomorrow.

As for DOFFs, again, the reason they are how they are is because I pull threat. That said, the SDO DOFFs would stay no matter what, those shield heals are extremely useful. Between that (if they proc), and shield resistance buffs I use, I can go from almost none, to virtually fully shielded in a couple button clicks.

That said, I might go with Aux to Battery and use two Technicians. That'd help out everything across the board.

Republic Veteran
# 4
12-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I just purchased this ship as well, on my tac, though I have a question on weapons.

I'm currently running a mix of MK XII polarized disruptor beams and spiral wave disruptor beams. Is it better to run single cannons over the beams on this ship?
Commanding Officer of Task Force Midnight
Check out The Verdict for all your gaming news needs. www.dutchjustice.com
Captain
# 5
12-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by novathelegend View Post
I just purchased this ship as well, on my tac, though I have a question on weapons.

I'm currently running a mix of MK XII polarized disruptor beams and spiral wave disruptor beams. Is it better to run single cannons over the beams on this ship?
The Excelsior's fundamental nature is that of a cruiser, and as such, broadsides are, IMO, generally better. However, a lot of people enjoy using the Excelsior for cannons, because it is the most agile of the Federation cruisers, and as a result it is the most viable cannon boat.

Keep in mind that if you do use it as a cannon boat, you're limiting your tactical options somewhat - for instance, you're going to have to use your Lt. and Lt. Cmdr tactical slots for cannon rapid fire/cannon scatter volley, and if you're going to use tactical team on rotation you're probably going to need two purple tactical team Conn DOffs. This also means no attack patterns and no torpedo abilities, although chances are if you're running a cannon boat you're not going to have more than one launcher, if that.

However, a build like this WILL be painful to the enemy, so you will be getting a return for your sacrifices in terms of tactical options. Ultimately it is, really, about your play style, and whether or not you can afford the weapons and DOffs to do it. If you do use a cannon-based build, though, be sure to toss in a few RCS consoles, and you may want to use a purple evasive maneuvers recharge Conn DOff as well (note, you cannot use more than one if you are using two purple tac team Conn DOffs, since the total number of Conn DOffs of any bonus type you can use is three).
Empire Veteran
# 6
12-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by novathelegend View Post

Well, on most cruisers I'd say stick with the beams, but a few cruisers, if you are willing to spec into Impulse Thrusters, it'll really help you turn, and make single cannons and turrets a very viable means of attack.

In this case, the Excelsior has the base turn rate (and other bonuses can help with it) to make them worth using.

Captain
# 7
12-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Inspirational build!

I'm curious about weapons as well: why Tetryon?

In other words what is the motivation to use tetryon versus some other type?

I read Disruptors are very popular but I am a fan of Phasers. Still, I am curious about other people's ideas.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
Inspirational build!

I'm curious about weapons as well: why Tetryon?

In other words what is the motivation to use tetryon versus some other type?

I read Disruptors are very popular but I am a fan of Phasers. Still, I am curious about other people's ideas.
Well, the simplest thing is that I already had all those consoles and gear from my old, RA level Excelsior, so I just took all that, and put it on the new one, adding in the extra Tetryon console from the Exchange.

As for Tetryons, I personally originally started using them because I liked the idea of shield stripping. The Phased Tetryons are amazing IMO. Cheaper consoles usually than Phasers, but having the procs of both Phasers and Tetryons is really really nice. Polarized Disruptors are in the same boat, two good procs together on one weapon.

Honestly, all energy types are equal. But some energy types are more equal than others.

Captain
# 9
12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Honestly, all energy types are equal. But some energy types are more equal than others.
I would beg to differ here. Antiproton isn't all that great. It's pure damage, and it's proc is guaranteed yes, BUT it relies on crits, which can be... tempermental...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Commander
# 10
12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I would beg to differ here. Antiproton isn't all that great. It's pure damage, and it's proc is guaranteed yes, BUT it relies on crits, which can be... tempermental...
Not with all the crit stacking they added in S7. I've seen moments where I had more crits than not scrolling over a mob. Defense score dropping is deadly lethal now with a crit antiproton build.

I've got an aux to battery build with BO3 and csv DEM and the time officer that gives weapon drain resist its got a hell of a punch every 30'ish seconds and in the down time its still worth it to use BO3 to fish for some crits with a 10% chance.