Career Officer
# 1 The Romulan Compromise
03-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Before I get started, Moderators, save the power trip, please leave this thread exactly where it is. It's meant to be separate to the big heap of a thread that we've already got for a very specific reason. Throwing the suggestion into that heap will only nullify it's purpose.

We have a Starbase each for the Federation and Klingon factions located in the Erandi sector block (next to their respective borders). We also have a Federation and Klingon Embassy on New Romulus (cause the Federation and Klingon factions are helping the Romulans rebuild and settle). What we are not doing is aiding the Romulans so that they can join the Federation or Klingon in their war efforts.

The Romulan Embassy provides universal rewards. The Fleet bases provide faction-unique rewards (in terms of ships and elite weapons (phaser/disruptor). The Romulan Reputation System also provides unique Romulan Rewards (again, these are universal).

My question, to Devs, Moderators and members of the Community alike is this: Do the Romulans actually need to be apart of a Fleet System? Do they need to make this grand alliance with either faction, or could they (at least temporarily) do without?

My argument is this; for the universal gear, you've got your Embassy (it's on New Romulus anyway, thus not exactly out of reach for a faction starting in Tau Dewa). You've also got the Romulan Reputation System that will provide any Romulan player with Plasma Weapons (on par with elite Phaser/Disruptor weapons). For a little difference, you've also got the Omega Gear (I'd imagine this currently comes with no Romulan-unique stuff); perhaps add that? Federation have MACO, Klingon have Honor Guard, Romulans have... [insert name here].

To throw the Romulans into an interstellar conflict (that would inevitably see the republic fighting each other) I'd rather see them left out of the fleet system; especially when most of the universal items are already available to them via the Embassy & Reputation Projects.

Couldn't you create a bunch of Embassy-only Fleets (leave the Starbase out of it)? This would further debunk the need for the Romulans to join an already waring faction?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Your idea makes sense, but it doesn't address the other obvious reason that Romulans are being made into just a addon for the other two factions - after the breakpoint somewhere in the neighborhood of L15, they can use existing faction missions as content without even having to bother making edits, instead of having to craft enough unique missions to actually provide a full leveling path.

Which is half- assed in itself, of course, but when has Cryptic done anything any other way?
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Captain
# 3
03-30-2013, 06:05 AM
I saw a developer argue that yesterday^ saying they continue on their own path, not playing old missions.

But I agree I won't believe it till I see it.

The klings are also playing from level 1 now, that's a lot of story missions.

I don't know why they are make a wrong version romulan faction, might be partially cbs and part their own vision and some things left out that wouldn't make the deadline.

Just for the people who love story and want to identify with the romulans as we know them it's a shame.

It's a reporting error®
Career Officer
# 4
03-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Your idea makes sense, but it doesn't address the other obvious reason that Romulans are being made into just a addon for the other two factions - after the breakpoint somewhere in the neighborhood of L15, they can use existing faction missions as content without even having to bother making edits, instead of having to craft enough unique missions to actually provide a full leveling path.
That's why these guys aren't a full faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Which is half- assed in itself, of course, but when has Cryptic done anything any other way?
They haven't, and that's part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
I saw a developer argue that yesterday^ saying they continue on their own path, not playing old missions.
If a Dev said that, take it with a pinch of salt.

Quote:
The klings are also playing from level 1 now, that's a lot of story missions.
You can bet 1/3rd of them will be Romulan missions.

Quote:
I don't know why they are make a wrong version romulan faction, might be partially cbs and part their own vision and some things left out that wouldn't make the deadline.
Probably both. They couldn't be bothered with the true time and effort required, so they made up their own version which, in turn, would be quicker, easier and cheaper.

Quote:
Just for the people who love story and want to identify with the romulans as we know them it's a shame.
Sucks for those Romulan fans of us, huh?