Ensign
Hey guys!

So I'm in zone for STO right now, and after reading the last DStahl QnA I got real happy when he answered a question regarding a reputation system for our ships. So I got to thinking, why not make a season dedicated to our ships?

I think we have very a talented and creative dev team behind STO based on the awesome that is New Romulus. I understand their are technical difficulties but I'm sure the Dev team could conquer whatever challenge is posed, but I figure if they can set up duty officer assignments why can they set up missions that have us go around our ship.

Some examples I thought of for this Reputation/Zone would include:
Viewscreen missons: Not asking for 3d space combat where your ship is ACTUALLY flying around. But a ship appears on the viewscreen, and you give out corresponding orders. Maybe its a friendly and you conduct negotiations/first contact. If their hostile, then, you order your ship to red alert. If you dont do it fast enough then they land a crippling shot, and beam over to your ship forcing you to defend your bridge/ship melee style. Rudimentary battle system for ships where its like a rock/paper/scissor mechanic. Take down the shields, order torpedoes or show mercy and ask for surrender.
Borg ship? Over the comm you hear their dreaded mantra. Quickly order modulating shields, or risk them coming over and taking crew or what have you. Engage shields and weapons till their destroyed, maybe 2 or 3 hits on their hull. Think of this as more of a minigame than anything else.

I only listed the viewscreen Idea because that's the biggest one that I think could be really explored. I know cryptic said that we aren't going to be able to actually fly our ship from inside our ship. But that's not what I am asking for. This starship interior is its own place. So if you go on mission from inside your bridge, and its just a good illusion that your flying around.

Other missions that could be included are honestly limitless. I was going to write more down until I realized this. Every shipboard duty officer assignment can actually be a mission. Receive dignitaries, practice combat drills, zero- g maybe?! More minigames, 21, poker? 3d chess? Assist fixing the warp drive. Receive refugees, give medical aid, repair their ship/planet. Basically any episode of Trek that was on board the ship (most episodes I gather) could be done!

Again, I'm not asking for my to actually fly the ship through my ship, but make me feel like I am. Also, I dont think I need decks 1- 20 to actually exist. I think that the three deck system is great already, Maybe the addition of a fourth would be cool (shuttlebay, armory, etc).

This zone could also feature the return of missions that require the different class backgrounds (sci, tac, engi). You have your buddies come on board during a hostile engagement and you all do a bunch of minigames to restore ship systems and save it from destruction, or to destroy an enemy faster. Repel boarders, or even board the enemy ship as well. I mean I don't see what a creative mind wouldn't be able to implement.

And all this goes to your Starship's reputation system. Maybe rewards can be finally a doctor to heal injuries, a junk dealer to sell vendor trash, a maintenance engineer to offer ship repair duty officer assignments.

Alright enough of my rambling. What do you guys think, its something I would like to see, but maybe I'm the only one. And of course I'm no developer so it doenst have to be the way I wrote it here. I think developing a zone similar to New Romulus inside our ships, is something those of us have wanted for so long with STO that we forgot about it.

My inspiration for this idea is the very simple game FTL. The game is a lot of fun, but playing that game really made me wish I could be the guy running around the ship during battle, and having my buddies run around with me.

What do you all think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
This would be sweet! If there's one thing I've been missing from previous ST games is the ability to "use both perspectives". I loved every single Trek game I've played (okay, apart from Legacy), but none of them had the combined ability to roam the ship's interior and conduct battles from the exterior. Bridge Commander was close, but you were stuck with the bridge... or to be exact the captain's chair. If Cryptic somehow made this feature available, then I guess I'd find the perfect (not just ST) game, that I've been looking for since I first layed eyes on a video game. I guess I'd be spending WEEKS on my ship without ever leaving it!

P.S.: I was totally hooked on FTL and thought the same!

Last edited by auricius; 12-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
how about a npc ship... unless you want to use my ships class/interior

Maybe a Starbase?
Commander
# 4
12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
how about a npc ship... unless you want to use my ships class/interior

Maybe a Starbase?
I could see redoing DS9 as an adventure zone. DS9's open to both factions, and it's not as... 'passive' as something like ESD or KA would be.

You'd have to open more area around the promenade, but that could be as easy as moving around some of the elements and just creating transfer bridges out from the promenade area to an outer ring where you could put in various adventure elements.
Captain
# 5
12-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I have actually been working on a functional interior proposal with a few other forumites. You can take a look at it in my signature.

Now if Cryptic would actually use it, and put functional interiors like the one you are proposing and the one in my signature in the game, then Star Trek Online would become the best MMO of all time.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
12-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Some of us use TOS interiors
And at least one person I know flys a runabout all the time (before anyone wants to lynch him I would point out that he does not do STFS at all but spends a lot of time doing the vault)

so what about us?
would there be two versions one for TOS and one for "modern"
Captain
# 7
12-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Considering at least 90% of all shows are either on the ship or DS9, then I am surprised they haven't done something like this sooner.
Captain
# 8
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Considering at least 90% of all shows are either on the ship or DS9, then I am surprised they haven't done something like this sooner.
Should have been in the game from the start.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Career Officer
# 9
12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I still think to make this work as combat adventure zones, they either need to have a track for each interior style or have NPC ships that double as this.

So for example: You have an Odyssey interior.

And to access the Odyssey adventure zone, you go to a player that has that interior OR the Enterprise-F.
Captain
# 10
12-02-2012, 01:38 PM
OP, I think you should read centersolace's proposal. It has most of the things you ask for.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots