Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
12-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
That would not be good news for the KDF as he pretty much hates the Klingons.

I remember his talk about the HEC getting a hull increase and if any KDF ships like would be getting a hull increase.

His response was - ha ha ha (chuckle,chuckle chuckle followed by ) yeah, well - NO(full stop) with the tone in the "no" of how dare you waste my time talking about improving the KDF!!

Kind of like this - but without the sense of humor as his is dry and well not there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4
Any scenario involving Geko being in charge of STO is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online
Career Officer
# 12
12-01-2012, 08:22 PM
As others have stated, to the put a lead designer in chrge of a game per se, that the Executive Producer - which is what Dan Stahl is for STO atm.

It probably means Gekko is doing design work across all Cryptic MMO projects (CO, STO, and NW which is still in development. I doubt that means DStahl is reporting to or getting approval from Gekko for anything; probably more the reverse when Gekko is asked to do something for TO. IE yes he's asked to design something - but in the end the EP probably still decides yay or nay.

But, much like the OP - this is pure speculation as well. unless we see an Org chart; there's no way to know where the position falls; but as it doesn't appear tied to STO specifically; I doubt he has final say on any aspect.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 13
12-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Hopefully reason and common sense is in charge

Once you worked enough places you'll learn the formal title of leadership doesn't have to mean anything.

We no longer include the forums, or players in general - tacofangs
Career Officer
# 14
12-01-2012, 09:07 PM
well if you're just looking for someone to point the finger at for all the stupid things that have been happening to sto, really PWE is the place to point it. They're the ones controlling the money, otherwise cryptic would be off on its own.
Career Officer
# 15
12-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Wow, Gecko.....Really? No wonder the game ha been going down the pan recently......
Career Officer
# 16
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I assumed Geko was a lead producer, mainly over systems. However, looking at his LinkedIn (a fleetmate mentioned something else on there), I see that he was placed over design altogether but that his current title is now Principal Designer.

Reading up on this title, it sounds like he's either the final authority on all areas of the game's vision, from systems to content to monetization.

If I'm reading this right, the areas Stahl would be over would be more managing development schedules, labor budget, HR issues, and communication.

So if I understand this right... Geko is in charge of the vision and Dan handles the logistics of executing Geko's vision?
he was a producer before STO he is the systems team lead
Rihannsu
# 17
12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
As i understand it, from the way they have explained it over time, each department has quite a bit of authority for its own areas. dan does not micromanage them as such, and geko is a senior guy and will have a lot of power to make things the way he wants but i believe he ultimately reports to dstahl. i dont belive that geko is now his boss.

i expect the 'vision' is a combined one from the whole team, with dstahl being the final sign off. the nuts and bolts of how the system is designed is then handled by geko and the resources management is handled by dstahl.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 18
12-02-2012, 09:53 AM
As I understand it, it dosen't matter who is what, when and why...

PWE thinks bad idea = DStahl and Gecko thinks it's bad idea.

In short: Neither of them is deciding, or "being the boss" of anything... It's just fictive....
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Captain
# 19
12-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
As I understand it, it dosen't matter who is what, when and why...

PWE thinks bad idea = DStahl and Gecko thinks it's bad idea.

In short: Neither of them is deciding, or "being the boss" of anything... It's just fictive....
What are you basing that on?
Career Officer
# 20
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Why does it matter and who really cares?