Pentagon
Icosahedron
Platypus
THEN Pomegranate
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Republic Veteran
# 42
12-02-2012, 11:51 PM
My favorite color to this day remains perpendicular.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. As Senior Chief Of Outrage And Game Dissatisfaction Generation Execution And Distributions Manager for the East Coast I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow. Lots of Romulan Poodles to stomp and Baby Chthulus to herd.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Career Officer
# 43
12-03-2012, 12:43 AM
I think I need to unsub from TTS. It's making me cagey and paranoid.

My first instinct is to take what people say to heart and when I'm surrounded by conspiracy theories, I tend to adopt that viewpoint.

I think if I was surrounded by devs, after recovering from an overripe fruit bludgeoning, I'd probably adopt their perspective.

But I happen to get a much higher volume of feedback from the forums and TTS. And it has been shaping my perspective on Cryptic's design philosophies and how they're run because those are areas where Cryptic tends to be awfully private.

Like I say, lots of what's and the occasional how and lots of room for feedback on what's and how's. More than other development studios release. But other studios tend to discuss the why's in excruciating detail and open those areas of design to debate more. The lack of that is disorienting. Doubly so when the volume of player guessing far exceeds even the slight glimpses we've gotten of that.

I guess I feel like, with Cryptic, the process goes like this:

"We're doing this and this and this. These are the programs we use. Here is our workflow but we don't really talk about the chain of command or decision making process. Here's a new system! Hey! This thing is profitable and this thing is unprofitable. Here's a new system! Hey! We had cake today! We're out of cups! I have to go to the bathroom. Here's a new system!" But whenever anyone asks "why?" to any of those things, the answer is always, effectively, "Because. Grr! We're getting prepped for the quarterly systems overhaul. The forums are a vocal minority! Your feedback is confetti! Dervish! And content is hard. We'd rather give you new ways to play than more of the same."

With other studios, it's more like this:

"We can't tell you what we're doing. We can't tell you how we did it. We don't talk about our workflow but we do talk about who does what and what our chain of command is and how decisions get made. Here's new content! We don't discuss profits. Here's new content! Let's talk design philosophy and see what you think. How do you want our systems to work? What's a good flow? What kind of customization do you want? Here's new content! Enjoy a five page explanation behind the philosophy of what we're doing. What's your feedback?" The players ask, "So. What's coming up? Got any systems fixes for us?" And the devs reply, "We try to avoid updating our systems more than once every eighteen months. It's not practical. And our devs are too busy for the forums and some can't handle the heat but, hey, when we do post, we wear fireproof suits. We can handle it. We're tough. Don't swear or call names but otherwise, bring it. And content is on the way. It may not be terribly original but it's new!"
Cryptic Studios Team
# 44
12-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No, order of ascension:
Triangle
Rhombus
Pentagon
Icosahedron
Platypus
THEN Pomegranate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modron_...%26_Dragons%29
Survivor of Romulus
# 45
12-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Quote:
No, order of ascension:
Triangle
Rhombus
Pentagon
Icosahedron
Platypus
THEN Pomegranate
Better be careful, eventually the Pomegranate will become bitter and try to take over the world!! With all those seeds his DPS would be like 100054 dps with a 100% chance of staining over the duration......BEWARE!!!
Career Officer
# 46
12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
No, order of ascension:
Triangle
Rhombus
Pentagon
Icosahedron
Platypus
THEN Pomegranate
Where would a Curtis Jenny fall on that list?
Rihannsu
# 47
12-03-2012, 09:10 AM
"ooops its not supposed to do that" "a little OP is ok" and there are always counters, you just don't know how to sepc your toons"

Those were my favorite contributions of Gecko so far. L2P
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 48
12-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
"ooops its not supposed to do that" "a little OP is ok" and there are always counters, you just don't know how to sepc your toons"

Those were my favorite contributions of Gecko so far. L2P
My personal favorite was:
"Everyone who owned the T5 versions of the Nebula and Excelsior would get the T3 version for free post f2p going live......"
Then one week later some lame excuse regarding a ship pack that no one ever heard of ( twas in his head i'm sure) and the recounting of his previous statement..

I could also bring up the large amount of tweets that he openly trolled the playerbase (which got him the title of the biggest troll dev), but I will leave it there and say yeah, that one was real smooth
Cryptic Studios Team
# 49
12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
It?s simple.

Jack Emmert is CEO
Craig Zinkievich is the COO
Stephen D'Angelo is the CTO

The Executive Producers report to the COO. EPs are the project lead. Each project has an EP (STO, Champs, Neverwinter). They are in charge of resources, the business needs and direction of the Project. They manage the Leads.

The Leads report to the EP. They lead a team, which means they execute the EPs direction, work out the details and make sure the team gets it work done. There are typically 3 leads - Design, Art and Engineering. A lead generally has authority over his discipline in a project, but the EP has a lot of input in the direction, and ultimate say on what gets done.

I am Design Lead on STO. My Rank is Principal Designer, which is the highest rank at cryptic that is not an executive. You don?t have to be a Principal to be a Lead at Cryptic. The inverse is also true. If I were to move to Neverwinter tomorrow, I would still be a principal, but I would not automatically become lead designer since they already have a lead. I would just be an individual contributer.

Or, if you prefer:

Jack, CEO - Fleet Admiral
Craig, COO - Admiral
Stephen D, CTO - Admiral
Dan, EP - Captain
Me, Lead Design - Chief Tactical Officer, Commander rank
Keith, Lead Engineer - Chief Engineer, Commander rank
Jeremy, Lead Artist - Chief Science Officer, Commander rank
Stephen R, Lead Producer ? Chief of Operation, Lieutenant rank

I guess Brandon would be Chief Communications Officer.
Follow me on Twitter @CaptainGeko
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Somehow, I can't picture BranFlakes in a Skant (Skort?) with a little silver thingy in his ear.

Then again, I don't think I want too.

Last edited by herbie1966; 12-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.