Captain
# 1 Impressions on tachyon drones
12-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Does anybody even read this feedback, I wonder...

So yeah. I'm stuck with the Corsair flight deck cruiser, which is useless to a level 50 player. I still don't forgive you Cryptic. But it does unlock the Tachyon Drone hangar pet, which can be used on other ships so I gave them a spin.

What do they do? They fire a constant tachyon beam at the target, inflicting -100 shield points from each facing, per second per drone.

What don't they do? Oh boy.

1.) Stay alive. It seems like these things are higher on the AI's hate list than other pets, and they will make it a point to take time from their busy schedule of murdering you to murder your tachyon drones instead. They die to a single hit by almost anything. The purple quality version claims to come with shields, but somehow I doubt it would matter since shields leak damage and these things simply cannot take any. Which would be less of a problem if they could

2.) Launch quickly. Their base cooldown is 1m30s. With maximum auxiliary power and with flight deck officers working on dual bays I can trim it down to 30 seconds. For pets that have no burst output whatsoever (unlike torpedo-launching fighters) and have the survivability of mosquitoes in a bonfire. Compare to fighters, which I can launch every 10 seconds to replace combat losses, and BOPs, which have the same cooldown but have enough shields and armor to not die immediately. The comparson to BOPs is especially apt because, like BOPs, tachyon drones can't

3.) Deploy in large groups. You get 2 drones per hangar. ... Period. There is no "wings". You get two drones per hangar. Spawning new ones despawns the old ones, unlike every other hangar pet in the game. This means that a carrier using tachyon drones can field a maximum of 4 drones which will drain 400 shield points per second per facing from the target. Experienced players will observe that this amount of drain doesn't really

4.) Make a difference. 400 damage per second is less than my carrier's 2 turrets inflict while running at minimum weapon power (and less than a single turret once I turn on my power siphon). The tachyon drones are doing it to all shield facings simultaneously, but why would I care about draining any side by the side facing me since the drones do not inflict any damage whatsoever.

So yeah. They inflict less practical shield damage than my own guns can, and they offer no help whatsoever in actually killing anything. Fighter spam launches three times faster, with a combined torpedo salvo that rivals a tricobalt device. Obviously this greatly amplifies my damage output. Drones share the same long cooldown and low pet count as BOPs, but unlike BOPs they lack both firepower and survivability. They die quickly and targets are barely affected by them. Anything with shields weak enough to be afraid of tachyon drones will have its shields zapped just as quickly by my carrier's guns or a BOP's turret, and anything with shields strong enough to not instantly collapse makes tachyon drones beyond worthless since they are taking up hangar bays which could house something else.

Executive summary: As currently implemented, tachyon drones exist somewhere between "weak" and "completely ineffectual" depending on your loadout and target.
Empire Veteran
# 2
12-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Sorry to be off topic, but surely the Corsair that you're flying is not the Fleet Corsair. That is one of my favorite ships!

On to topic. Though I have all the dilithium versions of drones, the tachyon drones NEVER get use. I find the reinforced marauding force, and the advanced interceptors to be tied for best, and advanced slavers to be a close third. Siphon drones seem to be somewhat more useful than tachyon drones.

Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 3
12-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaaa View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but surely the Corsair that you're flying is not the Fleet Corsair. That is one of my favorite ships!
- Wanted Fleet Corsair
- Due to ship sale, thought I could save 300 zen by buying the Corsair and then upgrading to the Fleet version
- Fleet Corsair not discounted by owning Corsair, as clearly explained nowhere in the game UI
- Waste of 1200 zen on a ship which I've never flown and its hangar pets which are useless

And yes it does look like a nice ship.

Quote:
I find the reinforced marauding force, and the advanced interceptors to be tied for best, and advanced slavers to be a close third.
So far I've tried dilithium-flavored B'rolth BOP, advanced To'duj, and advanced delta flyers. Only the B'rolths have been worth it.

Though I do have high hopes for the purple quality Scorpion fighters.