Captain
# 11
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
KDF specific mission strings:

House of Torg

The attack on Utopia Planitia

Fel'khri Return

Pi Canis Alpha, Bravo (aka "Path of the Warrior", a daily)

Separate mission: Alpha.

Everything else is retread Fed content.

I included Pi Canis because to get the accolade, you're running six missions back-to-back, and included the Utopia Planitia mission because it's MOST of a set of episodes, and difinitely not retread fed content.

Now, here's something to think heavily about...

Fed Content follows a set formula that only alters in a couple of missions during the Cardassian front cycle where Bajoran religious/cultural elements actually are important.

the rest of the time, it's basically bland formula.

We Klingons get an exploration of our history and culture in "The Fel'Khri return" storyline, and an exploration of internal Klingon House politics in the Torg storylines.

iow, we get a deeper user experience, briefly.

I"d almost suspect the reason we don't have MORE in this case, is that the Devs don't have a decent writer left among them who can HANDLE the level of content in terms of detail and storytelling those KDF specific strings carry.

i.e. the rule of cool applies: if you can't make it cool, it ain't gonna rule-and I don't think Cryptic's got the writing staff to generate 'cool'.

in terms of ported-over retread content, they did their best work with the few episodes of "The 2800" that were converted over-but it's obvious THAT was a last gasp from their writing staff, and there were, again, holes that were barely papered over in the conversion.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Last edited by patrickngo; 12-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
We need level 1-20 content thats just for us.
Even if it is as formulaic, bland and tedious as the fed content?

I'm not trying to argue that the KDF shouldn't get more content, or doesn't deserve it, and I think that the KDF as a faction has much more interesting possibilities in terms of gameplay due to the way that the KDF is structured - houses providing sub-factions (with their own sub-cultures, traits, tech variants, mercs, ship variants, costumes) - I can see multiple ways to make an involving gameplay experience if only cryptic had the ambition to embrace the possibilities.
Empire Veteran
# 13
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymonkley View Post
Even if it is as formulaic, bland and tedious as the fed content?
Yes

We are used to it by now from all the copy paste FE's so having a formulaic, bland and tediuos storyline to follow while still being all those things is, if its KDF specific, better than what we have now with no storyline arc that helps us, as fans, enjoy STO from a KDF viewpoint.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Lieutenant
# 14
12-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Alright this is my point of view. Even if its just fed missions turn klingon i would love that... its better then no missions. I've been saying that about the Cardassion missions for a long time.. hell give us the fed rommie missions and let them turn KDF that would work to. that's just my opioion.
Captain
# 15
12-03-2012, 11:32 PM
[quote=bitemepwe;6910901]
Quote:

Yes

We are used to it by now from all the copy paste FE's so having a formulaic, bland and tediuos storyline to follow while still being all those things is, if its KDF specific, better than what we have now with no storyline arc that helps us, as fans, enjoy STO from a KDF viewpoint.
There are better options, and a lot of those better options already exist.

Missions like "Krios Falling" from the Foundry are long enough, and some are well-made enough, without breaking from the existing timeline in any meaningful way, to warrant 'canonization' and a move from the Foundry list, to a proper place in a KDF ranking-up storyline string, while some of the shorts ("Klingon Bar fight" for example) work well as 'bumper' missions after the House of Torg storyline, and before the Fel'khri return.

I suspect we could spend about a day and a half, and compile a listing that cryptic could, theoretically, put on the main page, in order, which would provide new KDF characters a good run of missions from Level 1 to 21, or 21 to 30, 31 to 40, and 41-50 without requiring a single developer to spend a single day designing a single mission-without crossing over once to the fed content.

Best part for cryptic/pwe, is that the EULA for foundry missions makes that content already owned BY Cryptic-they wouldn't even have to pay royalties for using it beyond the standard fees they're already paying CBS.

The only issue remaining, is convincing them to DO SO.
Empire Veteran
# 16
12-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post

The only issue remaining, is convincing them to DO SO.
That is the heart of the Good fight!!

You are correct though that with some love and attention many damn good Foundry missions could be converted to state up legit KDF content with rewards and a place in the backstory to fill the missing 1-21 ranks.
Empire Veteran
# 17
12-04-2012, 05:38 AM
[quote]
Quote:

I"d almost suspect the reason we don't have MORE in this case, is that the Devs don't have a decent writer left among them who can HANDLE the level of content in terms of detail and storytelling those KDF specific strings carry.
In any other situation chances are I would agree with you but I've spoken with Kestrel in a calm social setting before interviews and I think she has an excellent grasp of all things KDF (from Ridges to Gorn to Orion to Leatheans) and for some reason that never quite got spoken aloud they have her reigns a bit tight and will not let her run.
Captain
# 18
12-04-2012, 11:19 AM
[quote=bitemepwe;6921021]
Quote:

In any other situation chances are I would agree with you but I've spoken with Kestrel in a calm social setting before interviews and I think she has an excellent grasp of all things KDF (from Ridges to Gorn to Orion to Leatheans) and for some reason that never quite got spoken aloud they have her reigns a bit tight and will not let her run.

So instead it's a management directive that sticks us with things like PokeRomulus, FarmRomulus, and, of course, "Helplessly incompetent Peasant: New Romulus"?

Admittedly, I was so turned-off by New Romulus on my Fed (*in tribble) that I stopped after half an hour and refuse to go back. In terms of KDF "Content" it's, put nicely, utterly inappropriate and really badly justified-kind of a "Here, break character for trinkets!"

(Spit), if they're not LETTING her write KDF content intelligently, then it's a serious management issue, but even as FED content it's half-assed work, and honestly, she's a pro, doing things half-assed should be as offensive to her professional pride, as reading it is offensive to a discerning consumer.
Empire Veteran
# 19
12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
[quote]
Quote:

So instead it's a management directive that sticks us with things like PokeRomulus, FarmRomulus, and, of course, "Helplessly incompetent Peasant: New Romulus"?

I can only surmise that something is holding her back as she sounded very eager to do lots more KDF, as well as whole stories, when we at GoS spoke with her.

for the moment I'll let Joan say how I feel about the KDF, Cryptic and STO.
Joan Jett
Captain
# 20
12-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
That is the heart of the Good fight!!

You are correct though that with some love and attention many damn good Foundry missions could be converted to state up legit KDF content with rewards and a place in the backstory to fill the missing 1-21 ranks.
it can go a lot further than that-a break from the linear railroad of rebranded Fed content, a fill-out for the partial seasons we've been getting to expand them into fully fledged season-length content, (there are something on the order of 3-8 times as many missions in "Romulan Mystery" and the Cardie/Beta Ursa area for feds as there are for KDF).

I'd suggest there's enough on Tribble that they could 1-for-1 match existing federation-level content in less time, with less work for the Dev team, from Levels 1-50 and only have to keep a FEW of the converted Fed missions. (For instance, eliminating the entire "Night of the Comet" string from the KDF side and nobody'd really miss it, and replacing the idiotically inappropriate "Undine Advance" lurve fest with something that would, at least, make SENSE for Klinks...such as maybe expanding the Orellius sector missions to cover the KDF's role in fighting hte Borg more fully, or maybe an actual set of missions in Gamma Orionis that aren't toothachingly inappropriate hug-fests compleat with the Harry Potter ending.)