Captain
# 1 Weapon type for PvP
12-05-2012, 08:38 AM
I want pros and cons discussed.

So far i can tell that most run phasers and disruptors (for the procs and the traditional setup which reflects the faction) with the odd tetryon, polaron for various spesific builds. Now what about plasma wepaons? I know the new embassy consoles are going to buff plasma damage lots, but i dont see much enthusiasm around them.

Are we all stuck with 2 options or has anyone done proper testing?
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!

Last edited by devorasx; 12-05-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Captain
# 2
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Romulan Plasma Mk XI [Acc]x2
2.5% -X DR
2.5% Plasma Fire
Same damage as blue Plasma Mk XI [Acc]x2 from Project Nightingale.
Not sure about the Mk XII's.

Romulan Embassy Science Console [Pla]
Mk X +8.4% Plasma DMG
Mk XI +9.6% Plasma DMG
Mk XII +12.?% Plasma DMG
(above from a recent thread discussing them - or 2.5% for Plasma Fire for non-Plasma weapons)

2-piece Romulan secondary set
+7.6% Plasma DMG
(console w/crit + torp or beam, eh?)

vs. the 20% on STF shields (or even the reduction you can get on Exchange shields with Plasma resist)

I don't remember offhand where the discussion on what Infusers and Particle Gens do or do not buff left off. DDIS probably has a better idea of where that discussion went. I couldn't find it again...meh.

Given a combination of the 2-piece plus Rom Science consoles (not sure if they stack, would be crazy if they do) - it looks like you could over the 20% resist on the shields.

So one might be looking at the need for HE spam to clear the fire - which vs. a Plasma Guns 'n Torps/Mines boat... could be interesting.

Add in +30 Weapon, +3% Crit, +KineticProc... 2-piece the Borg secondary for the 1% OWA...

Yeah, I'm really interested in seeing what happens as folks hit T4/T5 and actually start testing some of this out.

At this point though, most of it's just going to be speculation and extrapolation - no?
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 3
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Given a combination of the 2-piece plus Rom Science consoles (not sure if they stack, would be crazy if they do) - it looks like you could over the 20% resist on the shields.
Has anyone tried the new consoles to see if they really stack? And do we have info on the Romulan space set yet (Want to see if there are more plasma dmg modifiers)?
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
12-05-2012, 09:42 AM
great free starter set is the polarized tets from the new link 10% to proc shields though the tet imo really do much 10% is nice but 900-1000 proc to a 10k shld thats 1% of his shield u just proced grats...lol

plasma hybrid cannons not bad plasma proc fire and disruptor debuff again free

to me polaron seems great for energy drain builds and polarized disruptors might be even better as draining and debuffing him at the same time.

i really hope plasma gets its chance but 20% res to plasma on are sets shields ruins that

anti proton crit is good

disruptor debuff is better

imo when my phaser procs ur shields priceless phasers ftw for me...8D
Captain
# 5
12-05-2012, 09:46 AM
A thing to keep in mind about that plasma resist... with the new time gated manner of acquiring said gear, there's likely to be less of it in PUGland. Are folks going to spend the Dil and time on the lower sets or hold off until they get to the higher sets - sort of thing. That's going to be some time that they're flying without it unless they pick up a shield off the exchange with plasma resists.

Against folks that already have the STF gear though...yeah, not so much.

Picture all the bonuses to the damage without the resist - fiery plasma tears incoming, eh?

edit: I hate how low the damage on those Polarized Tets are though and it's pointless against a target with no shields. Still, I'm running them on one of my boats...meh.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 6
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I got a kill last night due to a phaser proc, I still think they're the most effective on their own if you're not going to build to support the proc.

I've heard tell that the magnitude of the disruptor proc can be increased, is that true and if so, how might I achieve such a hax?

Plasma, well, change is a coming for all dots, not just plasma. As crit chance rises dots go from annoying to clear it or die like an extra in a mummy movie. I don't think we'll really feel it until rep stuff is widely max'd and has some time to settle in.

Now, for some truly rampant speculation:

The addition of on-crit effects is potentially interesting. When a dot crits it does so once, at application, so the "one crits all crit" problem for dispersal patterns is alive and well with dots. For whatever reason somebody decided that it would be a good idea to have a passive that procs a non-fragile placate on your target when you crit your target. So when does that on-crit effect get rolled? The crit for the dot doesn't get a new roll every second, who wants to put money on the timing of the on-crit proc? So you have a 10, 15, or 30 second crit-dot with a tick every second, dollars to donuts there's one roll at the start to determine the placate and it will get re-applied with each tick. Since they couldn't manage to close the loophole on phaser immunity I'm not expecting a functional immunity out of this placate.
Captain
# 7
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I use phasers.

The folks in my fleet prefer to use phaser, polarons, antiproton, and disruptors.

If I really wanted the plasma DOT, I'd pick up one of the new Embassy science consoles (which I might).