Career Officer
I have to ask Cryptic, why the high costs with the STF Sets?

Granted the MK X Sets is a walk in the park and the MK XI Sets is a mile run, but the MK XI sets is the New York Marathon. Over 1000 Omega Marks per set, and the aforementioned 34000 Dilithum per set piece?

Did you not say this system supposed to help people who been struggling for months to get a MK12 set with the old STF system?

So now we (those have not completed our Elite sets), now have to do 20 Elite STF runs (getting optional every time) per set piece? Which means for a full ground or space set you need to do 60 Elite Runs? (Even more if for the MK12, the Adapted, and Space sets).

I just can't help but to think that this is a worse deal than the old way. We worked our buns off for 10 months with no luck, spend over a month grinding to Tier 5 Reputation and unlock it, then have to spend more months grinding to get the Set pieces we been after since Season 5 went live?

Is it me, or is a worse deal than what we were promised?
Career Officer
# 2
12-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I have to ask Cryptic, why the high costs with the STF Sets?

Granted the MK X Sets is a walk in the park and the MK XI Sets is a mile run, but the MK XI sets is the New York Marathon. Over 1000 Omega Marks per set, and the aforementioned 34000 Dilithum per set piece?
It costs how much?? What that means for this particular player is that he wont be bothering with getting the sets

I dont do Elites, preferring normal runs but theres no way I'm grinding for that amount of points. It strikes me that its now harder for the casual player to get the high end gear.

I'm now questioning why I should bother grinding through the tiers if the costs for the "toys" is going to be so steep?

The "FUN" is rapidly dissapearing from this game and that saddens me.
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster - This time it's personal *

Last edited by nyxadrill; 12-04-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
12-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Yup, its just the devs giving us the middle finger.

They found a way to make it worse than the original random drop system.....
Republic Veteran
# 4
12-04-2012, 12:57 AM
1000 marks is 14 ISE runs (assuming optional + rep event)
34000 dilithium is 5 days of quota

For a Mark XI I'd say those numbers could stand to come down ~30%, but I wouldn't bust out the torches and pitchforks over it.
Captain
# 5
12-04-2012, 01:18 AM
These prices may be a little ridiculous if you're starting from 0 Dilithium at Tier 5, but really... who is?

I'm as casual in my playtime as can be. I don't even log in everyday except to do my Reputation stuff, but I've still saved up almost 200k dilithium, and I've got over 3000 Omega Marks (1500 from the conversion box). By the time I actually unlock T5 Omega, both of those numbers will be quite a bit higher, and that's just me playing for less than an hour a session, not even everyday.

I don't know what you're doing with your Dilithium, though. If you're dumping it all into your Fleet projects, then maybe you need to prioritize what you want first, or even budget your Dilithium to make sure you have enough for the gear you want while still contributing to your Fleet's stuff.
Captain
# 6
12-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
I don't know what you're doing with your Dilithium, though. If you're dumping it all into your Fleet projects, then maybe you need to prioritize what you want first, or even budget your Dilithium to make sure you have enough for the gear you want while still contributing to your Fleet's stuff.
Agreed .
You can have a perfectly sensible discussion , explain to your fleet that this STF armor is important to you and you have wanted it for two damn years , so not participating in the Starbase construction for a few weeks (via dil contributions) won't mean the end of the Starbase .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Career Officer
# 7
12-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgatag View Post
1000 marks is 14 ISE runs (assuming optional + rep event)
34000 dilithium is 5 days of quota
Now calculate for a full set: ~3000 Marks (42 STF runs w/ optional every time) and 102000 Dilithium.

Now calculate for all the STF Mk12 sets:
  • MACO / HG
  • Omega
  • Adapted
  • MACO / HG Space Set
  • Omega Space Set
Now that comes out to 15000 Marks (210 Elite STF Runs / with Optional every time) and 510000 Dilithium. Which translates to a years worth of grinding to get all 5 sets.

So now could you imagine being one of those unfortunate souls who did STFs since December of 2011, and not a single Elite STF MK12 set piece, having to do all that work? So if you was in those shoes, wouldn't you think you got the short end of the stick, of something that was promised to you?
Captain
# 8
12-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Now calculate for a full set: ~3000 Marks (42 STF runs w/ optional every time) and 102000 Dilithium.

• MACO / HG
  • Omega
  • Adapted
  • MACO / HG Space Set
  • Omega Space Set
Now that comes out to 15000 Marks (210 Elite STF Runs / with Optional every time) and 510000 Dilithium. Which translates to a years worth of grinding to get all 5 sets.

So now could you imagine being one of those unfortunate souls who did STFs since December of 2011, and not a single Elite STF MK12 set piece, having to do all that work? So if you was in those shoes, wouldn't you think you got the short end of the stick, of something that was promised to you?
Are you calculating the ground sets at 34,000 Dilithium, too? Because the Ground gear is much, much cheaper than the Space gear -- closer to 9,000 Dilithium per piece.

Last edited by thratch1; 12-04-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
12-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:

• MACO / HG
  • Omega
  • Adapted
  • MACO / HG Space Set
  • Omega Space Set

Well I have always only wanted the an OMEGA and MACO Mk XII ground set, after over 1000 elite STFs on all my toons I managed to get the full OMEGA Set on one toon and only ever saw bits of MACO on different toons. Had I just played two toons I would have got what I wanted but I made the mistake of grinding for parts on 4 toons which gave me like a gun on one and PSG on another.

This method I know that in time I will get what I want for my toon, I will know how long it will take me and I will have a goal to aim for. I am quite happy with the price in terms of grind and dil, if it was too easy then everyone would be running around with full gear and where is the fun in a Ferrari if everyone has got one. I want to look exclusive and be seen to be sporting the top gear in the game, it shows people I'm not afraid to work hard for something. I've heard that in EVE it can take years and years plus a phenomenal amount of grind and cash to get the best ships, in NFS it can cost $100 for a car skin, and in Star Citizen it costs $2700 to be a grand Admiral, I'd say we have it easy

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Empire Veteran
# 10
12-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenzedd View Post
Yup, its just the devs giving us the middle finger.

They found a way to make it worse than the original random drop system.....
you know whats funny, the old system was actually better - sure it took time for Proto's to drop, but they eventually did drop, and for FREE, yes folks for F.R.E.E.

No hoops to jump, no cost in EC or Dilithium, as a matter of fact Dilithium was earned at a rapid pace.

The true reason behind the new Rep system was not to benefit the player, thats a cover in itself, its true & intended target was the Dilithium gain, and to make a way for Dilithium to be a key component in equipment acquisition, of the Elite kind.

and remember, originally "they" were NOT going to give us some Dilithium return, "they" tossed that bone back in to calm the mobs, and at a reduce rate.

No offense to some folks here, but I find it very hard to believe that someone played through these STF's old school style 100x or more and never got a drop, thats complete and utter BS and smells like over Exaggeration.

I've played these STF time and time again on many of my toons and I did get a proto every so often - only drawback is that since the drops were character bound I could not trade them between toons that needed a component - but I did get something every 10th or 20th try.

What drove many insane was the pure repetitveness - simply put, STF's are not for everyone.

Last edited by stark2k; 12-04-2012 at 02:16 AM.