Career Officer
# 11
12-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
No offense to some folks here, but I find it very hard to believe that someone played through these STF's old school style 100x or more and never got a drop, thats complete and utter BS and smells like over Exaggeration.
OK the toon I play now is called Matt. He is just about to receive the UFP Medal of Honour for running 300 Elite STFs. Number of proto drops = 1, a shield drop from ISE.

Toon number two was concentrated on ground, has UFP medal so over 300 Elite Ground STFs, number of protos = 2, the PSG and the Shield, never got the gun despite grinding through the god awful CGE more times than I care to remember. I could go on, but I assure you it is not BS, there have been many people on here in the past that have reported 1000 + runs with not a single drop to show for it and others that got the whole set in a week. THIS is why the old system was so incredibly unfair and why in the end many people just gave up entirely.

STOKED actually spoke to the DEVs about this and they basically admitted it was tough luck. It matters not how many times you play it, you could run it a million times and not get a drop, this is what people don't understand about probabilities, every time you run it you have the same chance to win, the chance to win does not increase with multiple runs.

The old system was unfair, this is not.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 12
12-04-2012, 03:23 AM
*disclaimer: not a troll post, not to be mean, slightly playing devil's advocate, but mainly intended to give the discussion some more perspectives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Now calculate for a full set: ~3000 Marks (42 STF runs w/ optional every time) and 102000 Dilithium.

Now calculate for all the STF Mk12 sets:
  • MACO / HG
  • Omega
  • Adapted
  • MACO / HG Space Set
  • Omega Space Set
Now that comes out to 15000 Marks (210 Elite STF Runs / with Optional every time) and 510000 Dilithium. Which translates to a years worth of grinding to get all 5 sets.
For honesty's sake, I would like to point out that it was unlikely that you got the collection of mk XII Maco and Omega ground and space sets in much less time, previously, particularly now you can grind for ground sets in space*. Also, if you divide that number by six, for the six STF's you had to run to get the prototype tech, you're up to 35 runs per tech unit; I understand some people's odds have been way worse than that.

Also: I don't consider myself a top player at all, but I generally manage 3 elite space stf's in an hour. At that rate, it's 70 hours. Even if you round it up to 100, that's not really a year, unless you're a really casual player.

Edit: I could go as far as to say that you get the adapted set as an extra, in the same amount of time you'd have spent before. Also: trust me, I do see how it is harsh on those that spent a lot of time in the previous system, and will have to again, now. But that's a matter of implementation, not necessarily a flaw in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxadrill View Post
It costs how much?? What that means for this particular player is that he wont be bothering with getting the sets

I dont do Elites, preferring normal runs but theres no way I'm grinding for that amount of points. It strikes me that its now harder for the casual player to get the high end gear.
Not to be a meanie, here, but in the old system you wouldn't have gotten the mk XII sets either, if you don't do Elites, as you say. The mk X/XI sets are a fair bit cheaper.

*please do not rage about this here, as it is irrelevant to the topic, but it is part of the current system.

Last edited by twam; 12-04-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Career Officer
# 13
12-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post

Not to be a meanie, here, but in the old system you wouldn't have gotten the mk XII sets either, if you don't do Elites, as you say. The mk X/XI sets are a fair bit cheaper.

Extremely good points, you had to do elites, Mk XII protos did not drop on normals and yes you can grind an ISE every hour and with a good team ISE can be done in 10 min easily, the optional is a piece of cake too.

Empire Veteran
# 14
12-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post

The old system was unfair, this is not.
Ask yourself, how can something that drops for FREE, yes FREE, be unfair - eventually if you continued in your quest you would have found your set. At the same time the Dilithium return would have merit for you to run STF's through eternity.

Again 300X STF runs is utter BS, sry I do not believe you.
Career Officer
# 15
12-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
Ask yourself, how can something that drops for FREE, yes FREE, be unfair - eventually if you continued in your quest you would have found your set. At the same time the Dilithium return would have merit for you to run STF's through eternity.

Again 300X STF runs is utter BS, sry I do not believe you.
Would you like me to provide you with my account details so you can log in and check for yourself? Or shall I provide screenshots of my accolades and bank/inventory content? Or maybe the Accolades that show how many runs I've done v how many items of Mk XII that have dropped?

I don't like being called a liar and if that is the level of your argument then I see no point in continuing to discuss any points you have to make.

EDIT: there ya go

http://i.imgur.com/GkwnH.jpg

Last edited by mattjohnsonva; 12-04-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Captain
# 16
12-04-2012, 04:05 AM
The old system devalued gear by making it way too easy to gear up, it also didn't give a clear good path for future content editions. Additionally, it created frustration by causing certain drops to be disproportionately difficult to obtain due to poor luck.

The new system is clear and concise. It gives an easy method for creating and rewarding additional content. Does it take more time and resources? Yes. But the old method of gearing out a character with full Mk XII in one or two weeks (sometimes days) with minimal effort was ridiculous.

The dilithium and mark requirements are not that significant. In fact, if you save your 8k a day from tier 1 to tier 5 you'll have near 300k dilithium, more than enough of both to buy what you want, assuming you don't want everything right away.

Starbase donations may take a back seat, but that's a reasonable expectation. If you want to race to tier 5 star bases, you'll need to make sacrifices. Otherwise just take your time, it's not going anywhere.

Last edited by xantris; 12-04-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Captain
# 17
12-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
The old system devalued gear by making it way too easy to gear up, it also didn't give a clear good path for future content editions. Additionally, it created frustration by causing certain drops to be disproportionately difficult to obtain due to poor luck.
wrong.The old system had edc .with 120 edc you could get any mk XI set.

mk XII was for players who played many elite stfs.

Cant see whats so wrong to make a reward for those who play alot of stfs or any other mission or why everyone should have mk XII.
Captain
# 18
12-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
wrong.The old system had edc .with 120 edc you could get any mk XI set.

mk XII was for players who played many elite stfs.

Cant see whats so wrong to make a reward for those who play alot of stfs or any other mission or why everyone should have mk XII.
Wrong, anyone who wasn't terrible at the game could get Mk XII weapons in every slot within 2-3 days, plus a full Borg set within an afternoon. It was a complete joke. Gear acquisition was so trivial as to be meaningless. The only real piece of gear you needed to work for was the Maco/kdg shields to pair with the Borg deflector/engines.
Captain
# 19
12-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
Wrong, anyone who wasn't terrible at the game could get Mk XII weapons in every slot within 2-3 days, plus a full Borg set within an afternoon. It was a complete joke. Gear acquisition was so trivial as to be meaningless.
anyone who played not anyone who was in game playing starbase.You probably played a week or two before s7 when they increased the chance to get a prototype shield or engine/etc.
Now you wait not play and even the most new player will have elite gear withotu knowing what strategies to use to finish a elite stf.

now there is absolutly no reason to play elite stfs unless you need some dlithium ,though you can get that through contraband missions.

Last edited by adrianm63; 12-04-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
12-04-2012, 04:24 AM
seems like when i'm done with my Tier 5 rep grind (and with 11 chars it IS a grind), i will be very carefully cherry picking what "rewards" i'm going to buy in the unlocked "Reputation Store".

As far as i'm concerned the passive skills are the only rewards of the Rep System, everything else is just a store unlock instead of an actual reward, i'm not even going to do any store unlock projects until i'm done with the Tier 5 XP grind.