Captain
# 11
12-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waarder View Post
Also i wonder what it ads to the game....oh wait they found a new way to get our money....
Yes when you log in they come at your door with a gun and force you to buy keys to open boxes.

Last edited by adrianm63; 12-04-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Career Officer
# 12
12-04-2012, 03:08 AM
We know nothing about the rarity of the parts, how many will be needed, or if there will be any monetization at all.

While raising awareness of possible awfulness is not a bad thing, this thread itself is jumping the gun and raising alarm about things that we don't know anything about yet.

Personally I'm saving the rage until I know what I'm actually raging about.
Ensign
# 13
12-04-2012, 03:33 AM
Lets just say we are on Yellow alert.
And even though they dont force you to buy lock box keys, the system itself is illegal in moost countrys
Commander
# 14
12-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Here is a quote from Dev bolog #25 :

Here's a description of the "Kompu gacha" mechanic that is banned in Japan :

Info on Japan's ban on the "Kompu gacha" mechanic can be seen here .

Another description of the "gatcha" mechanic can be seen here :

Now , at the risk of either total apathy (or one more s%^&t storm) from the community -- I'm actually making this post for the Devs .
They should be informed (if they are not informed already) -- and perhaps requested that they refrain from using the "Kompu gacha" mechanic if possible .

Last note -- it could very well be that while using the "Kompu gacha" mechanic as a basis , Cryptic has retooled it somewhat .
We won't know that until Branflakes much touted "Next Blog" sees the light of the internets -- where we will (hopefully) see how Cryptic will monetize the whole "parts to help build the best prize of all" thing .
I've decided to make this post prior to that Blog to inform Cryptic -- instead of having to post a rant after the fact .

Have a nice day .
(and don't make me say "I told you so" . Please . )
Unless they monotize it, it is no different than the old STF gear drop system. Getting random prizes for racing in a game that you are paying $0.00 to participate in does not qualify.

That said I hope they don't, it would be a little rediculous (even for PWE) to put a price tag on participating in a winter race..
Commander
# 15
12-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Um even last year you needed parts to build the prizes. We had to craft those boots, Egg Nog and scarfs out of the stuff we won from races.

Lets just hope the blog is just talking about the same thing and not some McDonalds Monopoly type game where they only make X amount of the grand prize.
Captain
# 16
12-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Mister Waarder is right. Take us to Yellow alert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 17
12-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberteksyfir View Post
Unless they monotize it, it is no different than the old STF gear drop system. Getting random prizes for racing in a game that you are paying $0.00 to participate in does not qualify.
That's it, exactly. The original winter boxes didn't require keys. If the new ones don't either, which I suspect will be the case, STO's somewhat in the clear.

I say somewhat, as they did sell the top tier of boxes on the C-store the first time around, and you rarely got the top tier boxes by chance. Best (probable) case scenario, that's what they'll do again. The top boxes will likely still be as rare as before, ensuring that the odds of getting all the components needed for the grand prize from these free ones, on one character or across alts, are virtually zero. And if you all but have to buy extra off the C-store to have a remotely reasonable shot at this, then yeah, it gets a little dubious. In the old way you could luck out and get the Jem'Hadar ship from one of the very few top tier boxes you got across all alts, but now, this way, even if you get lucky, you only have half or a third or a quarter of a ship. The idea probably being that this way they don't lose a potential box-buyer when someone accidentally 'lucks out' on the free ones, and in fact, with one-third of a (probably) Breen ship sitting in the bank, people will be more motivated to get the other bits for it.

This is of course entirely presuming that their 'Best prize of all' is indeed the ship, and not something nice, maybe even awesome, that will from a gameplay point of view be of relatively little consequence. (For example, maybe these parts are for a special starbase project. Or a FrankenEpohh.)

If they're crazy enough to tie the master keys into the boxes you get from the Q dailies, though... Well, I don't think it'll make much of a difference for me. I've recently conclusively decided whatever's in those boxes, I can live without. I run in the starbase development wheel now, and good news; when people start buying zen again to get either boxes or keys, I'll be able to trade in the zen I bought at 110 dilithium for more dilithium again.

But I look forward to watching the forums blow up.

Guess that's why we need a new one.
Reave
Captain
# 18
12-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
But I look forward to watching the forums blow up.

Guess that's why we need a new one.
JJ Abrams style, eh? ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Rihannsu
# 19
12-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Wow, this has to be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen in a game forum. To suggest that not guaranteeing you get all the best stuff for free is actually illegal...LOL!
Career Officer
# 20
12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
the wonderland will be fully melted and forgotten before i even think about going there. Any and every new zone is just another opportunity to waste money lol
Closed Thread