Ensign
# 21
12-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
*snip*
My question would be: since we have the ability to mount trophies on our walls, could we not use a similar mechanism for things like viewscreen images, MSD images (the big master systems display of the ship on the wall of the bridge (in the rear of the bridge on Defiant and Intrepid-class ships, for example)), or dedication plaques to mount on the wall of the bridge?

Could they not just be two-dimensional (or very thin three-dimensional) pieces we could buy or earn, and then mount in a specific place, just as we do trophies? So I could have a Galaxy-class bridge, with a blank space on the aft bulkhead and I could purchase/earn an MSD for whatever type of ship I actually fly. Then I could place that appropriate MSD item on the wall in that blank space. Or I could purchase/earn a picture of DS9 to put up on my viewscreen.

Would that also involve a lot of tech? It seems that system is already in place in the form of trophies.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 22
12-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Hypothetically, yes.

However. We could EITHER make it automatic (auto-detect ship type, and place appropriate MSD, auto-detect last system, and replace viewscreen) OR we could make them options that the player chooses. I don't think we could do both (i.e. auto select, with player override if desired). Maybe we could, but that's all tech questions. And either way, there is a considerable amount of work in either/both approaches.

The tech is sort of there. Trophies as they are currently implemented are a royal PITA to work with. The tech we used in Hideouts for Champions is better, but still requires a lot of hand working, naming, tagging, referring, and ensuring nothing is busted. It's much more work than people seem to think.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 23
12-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Quote:
I think you're vastly oversimplifying the issue. The tech required is likely much more than 2 days of work. Not a coder, so I don't know for sure, just basing this off of my previous experience with such endeavors.
ok, it depends on how messy the code is and how familiar the coder is with all of it.
2-3 days if you know how it all works together and your head is already inside it.
If you first need to analyze and understand old code, that in the worst case someone else wrote,
yes then the *research time* could be a lot longer than just writing some actual code for it.
(i had some bad experiences in that regard, coding styles of different people in the same language can still be very different and confusing).

Quote:
And all of that doesn't even take into consideration what you see when you look out a window. . .
*mind blown*
didn't even think of that.

Quote:
My main issue, as I've stated before, is that bridges are in a sad state already, and I would rather start over from scratch, include things like this, and do it right, than to try and hack this into an already limping system.
now that i can agree with 100%, there are very few Bridges that are worth keeping (TOS+Defiant of course, the LockBox bridges maybe, maybe 2 or 3 others). And i say that having bought all of them in the C-Store and wouldn't mind getting rid of all of them if we ever got better ones, ...with some functionality and life (DOff Faces walking around, in my chosen default Ship Uniform, on my ship would be real nice for example.)

I don't believe this will ever happen though ;P
Captain
# 24
12-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
I don't remember anyone ever saying it's impossible.
What I remember saying, repeatedly now, is that it would take significant time and resources from all teams, and that the gain would be a relatively (imo) minor improvement.
Any improvements to the current Player Interiors, would likely be "minor", which I'll agree would be a rather big waste of time, when there are more pressing concerns such as bug fixing.

On the other hand, a 100% removal of existing interiors, and re-building of Player Interiors, I would whole-heartedly support. I'd even go so far as to suggest potentially making an entire "Season" update have Player Interiors as it's main focus, if the newly revamped interiors would tie into other aspects of the game as well. PVP Combat on the bridge for example (suggested in the original STO trailer, on a Galaxy bridge). The game could certainly use alot more story content (in place of repeatable events), but the Foundry serves it's purpose, if the mission rewards would be "rewarding" enough.

I am not a developer, so I wouldn't even know where to begin to undergo such an extensive task. But I do know that the end result could be incredibly rewarding, and as Star Trek takes place, a lot within the confines of ones own Bridge, it stands to reason that it may be beneficial to give players the true feel of commanding their ships (both from within the ship, and "outside" in sector/system space).
Captain
# 25
12-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
We could EITHER make it automatic (auto-detect ship type, and place appropriate MSD, auto-detect last system, and replace viewscreen)
Speaking of MSDs, there was a player mod a while back to put the proper MSDs (or whatever MSD you wanted) in your ship. Could we at least get MSDs relatively quickly? Even if the other stuff would take a long time...
Captain
# 26
12-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Speaking of MSDs, there was a player mod a while back to put the proper MSDs (or whatever MSD you wanted) in your ship. Could we at least get MSDs relatively quickly? Even if the other stuff would take a long time...
This sounds like a job for... Thomas the Cryptic Cat

The MSDs for the bridges could be based on the default style for each class. Bridges that are "based on" Defiant for example, would have a Defiant MSD.