Lieutenant
# 1 Federation Solidarity
12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I play a Fed, several of them in fact. I have one token KDF that I rarely log onto. I do not get much enjoyment out of playing a KDF, but I understand a large portion of STO does.

What I am proposing is that we, Feds who almost exclusivly play Fed: Show our support for a fully realized KDF faction. I believe it's on the timeline for Cryptic, but I know a lot of us would like for it to be done sooner rather than later. So I would like to ask other Feds, who are almost exclusivly Fed, to give some support here and show Cryptic we want to face a fully realized enemy faction. I know if you look at the numbers, KDF only makes up about 20% of the population, but maybe the other 80% can come to their aid and lend a larger voice for them.

TL;DR: Fed only players, show your support for a full KDF faction.
Lieutenant
# 2
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I think KDF should be able to be a full equivalent to Starfleet, even to the point of joining starfleet fleets and doing starfleet missions if they so choose.
Lieutenant
# 3
12-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyprimrose View Post
Fed only players, show your support for a full KDF faction.
I'm all for it. Even though I prefer my Fed character, that doesn't mean everyone else does.

--> Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the forum login here is NOT secure??? <--

Last edited by labtinnion; 12-04-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I see no good reason why not.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Ensign
# 5
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
As a purely Fed player I did level a KDF character to 50 which I no longer play. I'm just really not into the Klingons. I would like an option to defect my KDF toon to the Fed side even if it was a Z-store token. I'd probably start playing the character again.
Captain
# 6
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
I think KDF should be able to be a full equivalent to Starfleet, even to the point of joining starfleet fleets and doing starfleet missions if they so choose.
This is what should have happened in the first place. But I suspect that even if Cryptic had the forsight, technical ability and support to have pulled that off at launch, then you would see every current KDF wish-list thread devoted toward the Romulans.

But humbly speaking, it makes more sense they way the game was launched - Star Trek as well know it is from the Federation point of view. The game, by design, was no different.

The problem for Cryptic is that some players have a natural tendency to play "the other side". Look at City of Heroes: at launch it was heroes-only, but players always made "villains" and asked for villain-biased content. Years later is when Cryptic made an entire expansion devoted to "the red side", aptly named City of Villains. Years after that, they merged the archtypes and powersets (abilities?) so at character creation, the player could almost do whatever they wanted and start as either Hero or Villain (a third option was later installed).

The problem STO had (as I have pieced it together), was the player community wanted the KDF faction bad enough - and loud enough - that Cryptic pushed out a half-made effort. It works, just not like the "blue side".

I'm not advocating that a player be able to make a Klingon and start out of Starfleet Academy ... the story is not driven that way (which may be a box Cryptic wrote themselves into) ... but what I do advocate is Cryptic take a step back, and devote Season 8 to the Klingons. And I mean, "just do it". By design that will include more content for all levels. As a Fed player, I wouldn't touch it, but I'll be happy WITH the community that does.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 7
12-05-2012, 09:33 AM
I think it would be an injustice to the KDF community if cryptic took their scarce resources and poured them into creating content pre-level 20. Since a player must level his fed toon to level 20 just to unlock the ability to play a KDF toon I'd say let that stay as-is, and fill the holes in the level 25-45 story with unique KDF content (missions and story), and perhaps a couple of new ships. Early lieutenant activities do NOT interest me as much as captain activities and missions. I hope cryptic doesn't waste this opportunity, and everyones time with junior grade content.

I got so bored lately with KDF I'm actually playing my token blue guy (I feel so ashamed).
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I support the OP's idea. Complete the KDF, make them a full faction and move the game forward past this ugly point in STO gameplay history.
Thus opening the doors for more content and settling the angst of a upset fanbase that was looking to STO to fulfill thier fan wants and dreams.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Lieutenant
# 9
12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I think it would be an injustice to the KDF community if cryptic took their scarce resources and poured them into creating content pre-level 20. Since a player must level his fed toon to level 20 just to unlock the ability to play a KDF toon I'd say let that stay as-is, and fill the holes in the level 25-45 story with unique KDF content (missions and story), and perhaps a couple of new ships. Early lieutenant activities do NOT interest me as much as captain activities and missions. I hope cryptic doesn't waste this opportunity, and everyones time with junior grade content.

I got so bored lately with KDF I'm actually playing my token blue guy (I feel so ashamed).
I would have to disagree. I say give the KDF 1-24 level content and allow creation of a KDF character from the start. I don't think it would be a waste because it would allow people to fully flesh out their character and build on a story from the start of joining the KDF, not just being thrust into it at level 25.

But in addition to a full 1-50 level for KDF, give them more FED vs KDF content too. If we are at war, let's feel like it. Maybe even make it part of a new reputation. It would add more depth to PVP if you engage in battles to level up your enemy faction reputation. And if their were some way to make it when you face off against FED?KDF in story missions, you get more and/or different types of the enemy that show up.

I think it would be interesting to have a system where as your notority with the enemy increases, they send more ships after you, or maybe even at some point avoid confrontation with you, based on how much of a bada** the enemy thinks you are.
Captain
# 10
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Build on a story ?

Did you ever look at how many missions are in the FE's between factions ?

Example- Romulan mystery: feds- almost 20, KDF- 5.

So don't fluff up the KDF's missing 15 missions, give them beginner (level 1) content ?

...What a waste of cryptics time, and mine.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any early content but Klingons wouldn't put a cadet in command and send him out to negotiate with leaders of rival houses and such, and I could live without more mine laying missions and asteroid killing missions early in my career like what can be found in the Fed FE's.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 12-05-2012 at 10:41 AM.