Captain
# 1 Bortasqu' Pack Yes/No
11-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Ok so ive been reading a few threads on the bortasqu' lately and was wondering if its worth a buy

I like the luck of the ship and the consoles it comes with

I flew the oddy on fed side and hated it... is it as bad?

Turn rate doesnt really bother me as im used to flying voquv and karfi

any input before the sale ends would be good thanks
Empire Veteran
# 2
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
This is all I have to say: imagine trying to do those "fly to these 3 points" missions. Will take you 10 minutes.
The oddy, you can separate.
The bortasq you are stuck in a fat pig
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
This is all I have to say: imagine trying to do those "fly to these 3 points" missions. Will take you 10 minutes.
The oddy, you can separate.
The bortasq you are stuck in a fat pig
He just said turn rate wasn't an issue

What I'd like to know before I recommand it though, is exactly what didn't you like about the Odyssey mustafatennick? Look, Boff seating, consoles, what?
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
# 4
11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I tested it on Tribble (iirc, it's still available for testing on that side, you may want to have a look for yourself before you buy).

The Bortasque accellerates like a city bus-with low tyre pressure, turning makes the Vo'quv look nimble, handling is akin to said city bus-with bad brakes.

Okay, that's all the bad news.

well..not all of it, since your cannons require you line up your shot, meaning that unless your target is as, or nearly as, immobile as you are, the bulk of your firepower is, for the most part, unavailable.

The GOOD news:

The bridge is a Palace, if you've ever seen the 1979 movie "The Black Hole", then as a basis for comparison the Bortasque bridge looks like the Cygnus. (Just needs a big, scary red floating robot)

Shields and hull are heavy and thick, this ship is built to take punishment-which is very good, since it lacks the ability to move sufficiently to avoid punishment.

For MY money, it was a loser-being unable to bring weapons to bear, manuever, or accellerate and without the ability to launch fighters to make up for it? a loser for me-not for other people...but for me. I suspect it handles much like the Oddy, so if you didn't like the Oddy, you're probably not going to care for the Bortasque.
Empire Veteran
# 5
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
my issue with the bortasq is many.

the pet is hard to keep alive.
It is hard to line up the shot, but WHAT a shot it is when you do line it up. The thing is, there are many cruisers that can do the same.

Imagine playing DND with a fighter with no dexterity.

Anyways, the problem is the points system cryptic puts towards ships to make sure they are not OP.
Canons are a point. But Canons are good on nimbler ships.
But since there is canons with cloak on this ship cryptic doesn't want it to be OP so it makes it slow to counter balance. But that makes the ship useless.
Just, it is great when you start firing straight at enemies AND you wipe them out. It is hard to do anything after that.

My suggestion, Vorcha refit or fleet vorcha.
Captain
# 6
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
If you want a magnificent looking ship that isn't good for much other than looks and occasionally ruining someone's day if they aren't paying attention, or if you want something that will stay alive pretty well in PvE, then the Bort is the ship for you. If you want something that can actually MOVE and still be able to do all of the above (minus a little of the staying alive part), I would recommend a Fleet Vor'cha/Fleet Tor'Kaht/any fleet battlecruiser other than the bort and neggy.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I have an Eng and a Tac toon. And I have the Borta pack as well.
On both, I tried their respective ship versions. But after playing with the ships like the Vorchas, BoPs and Ktinga it kinda can get annoying navigating this beast. You'll do a lot of reverse-turns to line up shots if you want cannons. This one works well with beams if turning is something you dont want to be bothered about.

It feels more Fed beamy peeeeeeeew-peeeeeeeew style than KDF rapid pew-pew style honestly.

The disruptor cannon works well if you can line up shots. The extra BoP can bug out at times, so be forewarned. I never used the snare cos I use the subspace jump console instead.

Though I gotta admit now on my tac I use the Brel BoP and on my eng I moved to the Fleet Vorcha and the Bortas have been mothballed
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Captain
# 8
11-26-2012, 01:45 AM
It is only 2000 zen and you get all the consol slots.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Career Officer
# 9
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I cashed in dil from 5 toons to get the Bortas'screw 3 pack for my KDF eng. Ended up regretting that decision. Damned thing can't get out of it's own way. And the cloak is pointless, since your enemy can still see you 20 km out even with it on.
Captain
# 10
12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't recommend it, you are better off spending money on a fleet battlecruiser.