Lt. Commander
So I have been playing this for the last week or so and on the whole I do enjoy the game however there are certain aspects that I find extremely tedious.

The repatition in this game is astonishing. Doing the same thing over and over and they all feel VERY dragged out...

Example...

I treid to settle a trade dispute on some starbase..

Visit 3 Ambassadors (Or something) then return to the original task giver. Then go to the furthest one away from me to talk. Then go to the furthest one away from him to talk to him, then go back to the other guy to talk. Then go to a computer, then go back to the furthest guy away, then back to the other guy. Give the wrong answer, mission failed so go from the furthest guy all the way back to the task giver....

Start ALL OVER AGAIN ! Meet the 3 ambassadors etc...etc...

I have found this to be the case on several occasions so far. Objectives always seem to be the furthers away from me so they take longer than is necessary.

I really did want to get a Gold membership for this game but if I am finding it this tedious so early on I think it might be money wasted ? Especially since you don't actuall get much more for your membership other than a few extra slots (which I feel I have enough right now anyway) and err..... Can't think of much else ?

If I anted other ships I cannot get them through my membership, I have to buy the damned things in "Zen" ? When I click on it, it doesn't tell me how many I will get, just asks for Bank details, card details etc....

As I said originally though, on the whole I do enjoy the game....

Make me feel better and reassure me please....
Career Officer
# 2
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
lol! your tedium is yet to begin young padawan!

Remember these precious moments and cherish them! They'll seem like a blissful paradise of content and story and intrigue once you've reached the lofty heights of Vice Admiral and your days consist of rescuing the same freighter, fixing the same satellites and chasing wabbits in the strangely saccharine fields of New Romulus.

Welcome to Star Trek Online

You did bring your wallet right?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Republic Veteran
# 3
12-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
lol! your tedium is yet to begin young padawan!

Remember these precious moments and cherish them! They'll seem like a blissful paradise of content and story and intrigue once you've reached the lofty heights of Vice Admiral and your days consist of rescuing the same freighter, fixing the same satellites and chasing wabbits in the strangely saccharine fields of New Romulus.

Welcome to Star Trek Online

You did bring your wallet right?
So true it makes me weep,if you aint payin' - you aint playin'.

Join date July 2012 ... My feckin arse ( Feb 2010 )
"The great thing about the internet is its leveling effect; online all opinions are equally WORTHLESS." <------> Grant Morrison
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah, if you think thats bad, you've got a sad reality coming. Start doing missions and notice how many of them, are the same, with nothing but new window dressings..... its a shame, but its true, so many of Cryptic's missions repeat its not funny, Scan5, kill 5, fix 5, Ground and space... Sigh......

i thought the grind in wow was bad...Cryptic makes me miss that grind.....
Captain
# 5
12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh please, this game is nothing compared to other MMOs I have seen when it comes to grinding.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-05-2012, 05:35 AM
This is actually my very first MMO so I guess I have a lot to learn about the whole thing.

As I said though, on the whole I am quite enjoying it. It's a pretty steep learning curve (For someone new to this genre of game). So much to leanr and so many tiny little tasks to do.

One thing in particular I am struggling with is the Duty Officers (doffs ? Is that the abbreviation ?) I fail quite a few missions as I don't have the required skills in my officers. I am guessing the only way to do these tasks is to buy the officers from the excahnge ? Or can I get them in other ways ?

Also starship weopons.... Do certain enemies need certain weopons ? Plasma is more effective on certain enemies sheilds ? Photons on others etc... ?
Captain
# 7
12-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Repetition is just a part of MMOs. Either you accept it and learn to live with it, or you stop playing them. I honestly can't think of a legitimate way of changing it either. Sooner or later you run out of content and start repeating the same stuff over and over. That's just the unfortunate truth of the genre.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwigvr6 View Post
One thing in particular I am struggling with is the Duty Officers (doffs ? Is that the abbreviation ?) I fail quite a few missions as I don't have the required skills in my officers. I am guessing the only way to do these tasks is to buy the officers from the excahnge ? Or can I get them in other ways ?

Also starship weopons.... Do certain enemies need certain weopons ? Plasma is more effective on certain enemies sheilds ? Photons on others etc... ?
Doffs
1) Buy them on the exchange.
2) You can get new doffs on Earth from the personnel officer (4 missions 2 each, dont do the general recruitment - it costs too much) and one each from the Vulcan, Andorian and Tellarite ambasadors. 2 days later you can upgrade 5 whites for 1 green quality doff (note the 500 Dilithium cost) you will need to look for Dilithium giving missions and keep going back. There is a good chance of getting the Resolve skill, needed for better reward doff missions.
3) You can buy them from Lt Fera (again expensive in Dilithium and hand picked to be mediocre).
4) You get new ones at certain levels. Nothing you can do now.
5) Some missions (doff or player) give them to you (note some are quite high end missions). Again, nothing much you can do now.

There are some differences between the weapons, but I wouldnt worry about it at low level, nothing wrong with phasers and photons, just collect as much money as you can by selling everything valuable you pick up on the exchange as soon as you get it, you will need ECs at each 10th level to kit out your new ship and maybe some better doffs on the way.

See the Wiki for a good place to start.
"He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. For every doff box bought, I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames. For every single doff box opened, I stab at thee from hell's heart. For every single doff contributed, I spit my last breath at thee..." Khan Playing STO