Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
# 41
12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I thought Zen value would rise once we were able to cash in rep for dilithium ore, but that hasn't been the case.

I still think it'll happen but my guess is that those who use dil are constantly depleted and those who have it aren't selling it in sufficient quantities. But the hoarders are eventually going to have a surplus and they'll have to offload it.

It's just gonna take longer than anticipated. That dil drought that started during season 7 really didn't help.
Lieutenant
# 42
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I honestly applaud you for saying that you thought the value of Zen would go up and it has gone down.

Still, the law of supply and demand has to be acknowledged and respected.

You cannot reduce the amount of dilithium in the game without it having an impact on the value of zen.

Cryptic increased the demand for dilithium at the same time they sharply reduced the supply of it. The value of Zen has fallen 33% in less than a month. It will fall further in the future. Stores and banks are being used up and people are more resistant to buying more in the future.

If Cryptic wants to destroy the value of Zen then why should I go buy more of it. I want to invest the money Ive earned in good investments and not things falling in value.

People that used to buy zen are frustrated because they get less value for their money.

The prices may stabilize a bit as people quit buying zen so reduced dilithium gets paired with reduced amounts of zen ... but was this Cryptics goal or design.

Probably not. They say they thought dilithium reserves would go up - they havent - theyve dropped hard. They will drop more. Its a problem and its growing.
Survivor of Romulus
# 43
12-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what people are angry about.

At the moment I can easily hit the 8k dil refining limit on one character (which is typically all that interests me). At current exchange prices I can get almost 80 zen per day. This allows regular purchase of zen for store items. I can buy a lot more store items now than what I could in the past.

What is the reason for this? The dil sinks that have been added. Most things that people want to buy/start project cost dil. Clearly there are a lot of people that want to buy dil to speed up projects, ship fitting or whatever. That number significantly exceeds the number that want to sell dil at the moment.

If people are unhappy with the amount of dil they can buy you could actually buy store items and sell them for ec. You don't have to buy dil. In fact it's possible to be patient and live with 8 k dil per day per character. In addition if you take away most of the dil sinks why would people want to buy dil with zen?

Why do people think reduced dil stockpiles are a bad thing?
Captain
# 44
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian666 View Post
Entitlement.
# 45
12-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian666 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what people are angry about.

At the moment I can easily hit the 8k dil refining limit on one character (which is typically all that interests me). At current exchange prices I can get almost 80 zen per day. This allows regular purchase of zen for store items. I can buy a lot more store items now than what I could in the past.

What is the reason for this? The dil sinks that have been added. Most things that people want to buy/start project cost dil. Clearly there are a lot of people that want to buy dil to speed up projects, ship fitting or whatever. That number significantly exceeds the number that want to sell dil at the moment.

If people are unhappy with the amount of dil they can buy you could actually buy store items and sell them for ec. You don't have to buy dil. In fact it's possible to be patient and live with 8 k dil per day per character. In addition if you take away most of the dil sinks why would people want to buy dil with zen?

Because they're looking at it from the opposite direction - not "how much zen can I get for my daily 8k" (like you are), but "I want to spend $20+ on zen, to then buy up all the dil so I can throw 100k of it at a project NOW." Those people would prefer the exchange rate to be 200-300 dil per zen. Whereas f2p players (who want some zen items, bought with Dil) prefer the ratio to be as low as possible.
Survivor of Romulus
# 46
12-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Entitlement.
There does seem to be an issue of people getting upset because people are spending their dil on stuff they want to use in the game, or for building their starbase/embassy.

Maybe people should review and scale down their goals. Instead of deciding that tier 5 starbase is their goal why not just focus on just getting a single project running, or maybe taking a break because you're supposed to have fun playing a game.

On the more factual side are there that many players that still have a dil stockpile. Most of the players I know with large stockpiles burnt it on starbase project contributions, and most of those were depleted around the time we hit tier 3.
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
12-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiralyn View Post
Because they're looking at it from the opposite direction - not "how much zen can I get for my daily 8k" (like you are), but "I want to spend $20+ on zen, to then buy up all the dil so I can throw 100k of it at a project NOW." Those people would prefer the exchange rate to be 200-300 dil per zen. Whereas f2p players (who want some zen items, bought with Dil) prefer the ratio to be as low as possible.
They need to change their approach to how they spend their zen. The zen cost of store items is constant. Those items could be traded or sold for ec. The items or ec could be used to buy dil contributions from players. In fact one of the fleets I'm in has often offered lockbox ships or millions of ec for recruitment of players.

This is where some ferengi logic is required to advance starbase projects.
Lieutenant
# 48
12-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
The Majority of Dilithium sinks will be finished in 2 months I would say, since thats around the time frame for tier 5 of the Reputation systems. Then it will be back to the Starbase, As for the Cosmetic projects, You could always hold off on them. They will start repeating, Stahl said they would. Progress the starbase as quickly as you can, work on the cosmetics when they replay.

"Stahl said they would"? No offense bro but Stahl says a lot of things and makes a lot of promises that he don't keep. KDF is still waiting for content that was suppose to bring KDF
up to par with the Fed sinse at least from what i know of season five some have even said since the beginning of the game. Sorry but his words/promises don't a lot have of credit with me and with a few other people i know

Last edited by jamesburtchell; 12-13-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 49
12-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Buying contributions for EC is not ethical

There needs to be an option fo direct Buy Dilith without allowing speculators to benefit
Lieutenant
# 50
12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Stahl is not believable anymore. If he says something the best notice you can make of it is that his lips are moving.

I do not think people are entitled to get to tier 5. But I do think they are entitled to have a chance at it. If STO puts up projects to work for then there must be a reasonable chance to get to the end of the rainbow to collect your pot of gold. For most players in regular fleets this is not true.

The people in fleets that I serve do not want projects that cannot be achieved. They do not want projects they have no hope of accomplishing. And they do not want to go into a pvp match and see someone with a tier 5 fleet ship that they do not have equal access to in their own fleet.

And maybe some of us know that if Zen sales start to fall because people quit buying dilithium which is inevitable that Cryptic will come up with some other lousy pay to win item, ship, console, or race that will bork pvp and game balance even more.

Everybody knows that if you want to pvp in space you need a pay to win ship and if you want to pvp on ground you would do well to buy a Cat.