Captain
# 1 City of Heroes Down for Good
12-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Well. Its finally happened. The City of Heroes servers or as far as we are concerned, Cryptic's first MMO has shut down the servers for good.
Career Officer
# 2
12-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Well. Its finally happened. The City of Heroes servers or as far as we are concerned, Cryptic's first MMO has shut down the servers for good.
Well except it hasn't been cryptic's MMO in a LOOONNNGGGG time...

Did they every release a stand alone server for it? Or is it just trash-software now?
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Republic Veteran
# 3
12-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Not sure if it was me living in a box, but I'd never even heard of COH till about 5 weeks ago when an STO friend told me about it.
# 4
12-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Believe me, I'm still going through a bit of Post-shutdown depression. I was in-game for the game's last 6 hours or so playing on Liberty Server.

I'm not upset that CoH shutdown. I figured it had a couple more years of playable life, at least. I'm still angry at how it was shutdown. Trust me, CoH's Publisher is never gonna get another dime from either my GF or myself, ever.

@anazonda
As far as I know, there was no official server release, check http://www.cohtitan.com/ for any serious fan-lead efforts.

Thank you for the time...
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-01-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm not tracking how it was shut down. Can you elaborate for those of us who don't know?
SGT Milton Monzon, SGT Alexander Fuller, SGT Michael Bartley, SGT Martin LaMar
Rest in Peace Brothers
Career Officer
# 6
12-01-2012, 07:36 AM
simply, NcSoft told the public/players and the Paragon Studios staff at about the same time on Friday, August 31, 2012. Giving the staff no advance notice to prepare a proper closing event, and halting development on the next "issue" (equivalent to a season here) which was, in my opinion less than a month away from going live.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
12-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymersto View Post
I'm still angry at how it was shutdown. Trust me, CoH's Publisher is never gonna get another dime from either my GF or myself, ever.
Yes, bad form indeed.
Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief for Covenant of Honor [FED] (formerly Task Force A.W.O.L.)
House Leader for Honorable House or Mor'gue [KDF]
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I was also there for the last moments in CoH.
Atlas Park on the Justice server, holding my torch at City Hall.
Still seems strange that it's gone.
As long as I've been playing MMO's, it was always... there.
It was my online "home" for 6 years. I will miss it very much.

I was so angry about how the devs were laid off.
A very similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago (the company I worked for laid off almost half of it's employees in one day. No one had a clue till the lay-offs began). They seem to be in good spirits though, which is more than I can say for myself after my own experience, lol

I've heard a few devs from Paragon Studios came here to Cryptic.
Only know of one, specifically.
So, "Dr. Aeon", excited to have you here in STO :-D

Set phasers to FREEM!
-------------------------
It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
12-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Was there for the Sunset on Liberty with my Main:
50 Defender Hero
Father Confesser 8 year Vet

I remember seeing this hero game at E3 in LA back in early '04. A Hero MMO.
Thank you CRYPTIC and PARAGON i will always remember The City.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
12-02-2012, 05:14 PM
It's true, COH may not have been "Cryptic's" for a few years now, but that doesn't mean we don't hold an attachment to it. There are still many people at Cryptic that worked on that game. Many of whom were there when the lights got turned on in the first place.

For me, it was my first game industry job. I haven't worked on it in a couple years, but I bet I still know my way around Paragon City better than most. It's sad, but it was inevitable. Still, COH launched in 2004. 8 years is pretty respectable in the MMO world. I am proud of what we made, and while the closing is sad, it makes me happy to hear how many people still love the game. And for how many people COH was their first MMO.

:::salutes COH/COV:::
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?