Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Hey everyone,
I just recently started playing STO again and was wondering how the following build would work for me. I like to be able to control agro, but still deal a fair amount of damage.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...NGbuildtest1_0

Feel free to ask any questions and offer any advice (other than going tactical lol)
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
# 2
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjarcher621 View Post
Hey everyone,
I just recently started playing STO again and was wondering how the following build would work for me. I like to be able to control agro, but still deal a fair amount of damage.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...NGbuildtest1_0

Feel free to ask any questions and offer any advice (other than going tactical lol)
The Skill build is ok, but a couple of things:

1. Driver Coil sucks. Yes, yes, it makes Full Impulsing into a fight slightly less terrible... but it's still terrible. Full Impulse is something you should aim to use the least possible.

2. Impulse Thrusters>Engine Power. Both for Speed and Turn Rate, so it makes no sense to max Engine Power but not Impulse Thrusters.

3. More Hull is always nice.

4. This is more arguable, but personally I prefer to decide between Energy Weapons and Projectiles.
Putting points in both makes it easier to change your build, but it also means you've always got a Skill that doesn't do much.

So, the changes I'd make:

Driver Coils: 6->0
Impulse Thrusters: 4->9
Engine Power: 9->3
Structural Integrity: 4->9
Power Insulators: 0->6
Projectile Weapons: 9->0
Energy Weapons Spec: 6->9

The BOFF setup? Well, tbh, you'll change it a few times until you find something you like.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,961
# 3
12-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjarcher621 View Post
Hey everyone,
I just recently started playing STO again and was wondering how the following build would work for me. I like to be able to control agro, but still deal a fair amount of damage.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...NGbuildtest1_0

Feel free to ask any questions and offer any advice (other than going tactical lol)
It is a very solid build overall. If you are going to tank though, I would strongly advise no more than 3 points in threat. 9 points in threat will draw enemies 70Km away to your position. Providing you are attacking the enemy ship, you will have no problem holding aggro. And it will be even easier if you are able to obtain a threat generation science console from the Romulan Embassy (increases stats such as hull repair at the price of higher threat generation). However, with your current bridge officer layout, you will have some difficulty tanking.

I have made a few changes to the build in order to maximize your ability to take and heal incoming damage. The build can be found here. The build makes several changes to the bridge officer layout. Among the most significant is the fact that the build now uses the Lt. Commander universal for engineering instead of tactical. The build also now heavily relies on heals. Your current build has four heals and 2 of the 4 heals share a (15sec) global cooldown. The only heal that doesn't share a cooldown with another ability is Hazard Emitters II. This would pose somewhat of a problem while tanking incoming damage. The changes made offer you a total of 7 heals. 2 of the 7 heals share a global cooldown. (Emergency Power to Shield I x2, allowing for you to have the ability up 100% of the time.) Two of your other heals also share a very brief cooldown with other abilities. Engineering Team I shares a (15sec) cooldown with Tactical Team I(instant shield cycling) and Aux to SIF (small heal and damage resist) shares a (10sec) cooldown with Aux to Dampers (powerful turn rate and speed buff).

As for the skill points themselves, the changes I made dropped threat to 3 and added points to Structural Integrity. It also added points to impulse thrusters, armor, auxiliary efficiency, and power insulators. The changes also dropped 3 points from Engine and Shield Efficiency, two points from warp core efficiency, and one point from warp core potential. (The difference between 6 points and 9 points in efficiency is two power, better allocated elsewhere)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,961
# 4
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiscustodiet View Post
The Skill build is ok, but a couple of things:

1. Driver Coil sucks. Yes, yes, it makes Full Impulsing into a fight slightly less terrible... but it's still terrible. Full Impulse is something you should aim to use the least possible.

2. Impulse Thrusters>Engine Power. Both for Speed and Turn Rate, so it makes no sense to max Engine Power but not Impulse Thrusters.

3. More Hull is always nice.

4. This is more arguable, but personally I prefer to decide between Energy Weapons and Projectiles.
Putting points in both makes it easier to change your build, but it also means you've always got a Skill that doesn't do much.

So, the changes I'd make:

Driver Coils: 6->0
Impulse Thrusters: 4->9
Engine Power: 9->3
Structural Integrity: 4->9
Power Insulators: 0->6
Projectile Weapons: 9->0
Energy Weapons Spec: 6->9

The BOFF setup? Well, tbh, you'll change it a few times until you find something you like.
If he is going for a tank build, there is really no need for him to put a 9 in Energy Weapons Specialization. I run an escort with just 3 points and I have no trouble putting out damage. Tanks usually do not run high weapons power, therefore these points will be wasted most of the time. Driver coil is also an invaluable skill to have if you want to go a decent speed in Sector space. Dropping Projectile weapons to 0 means effectively decreasing effectiveness of all torpedoes by 25%. Cruisers can not run 8 energy weapons effectively. It just drains too much power in the broadside (-80 all weapons power per volley). There have been numerous tests that can be found on the forums to prove that 6 beams function more effectively than 8 beams. The sweet spot for a cruiser is 6 beam arrays and 2 torps/mines. Take away points in projectile weapons and cruisers lose their one effective spike damage ability.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
# 5
12-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Thank you all so very much for your information and input on this matter. Going to read over everything you all have and come back with a more finalized build later tonight

Again thank you all so much.
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
# 6
12-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Quick question about this build, I see there are no points allocated to Ground Skills, is ground combat not important?
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
# 7
12-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexclex View Post
Quick question about this build, I see there are no points allocated to Ground Skills, is ground combat not important?
Sorry for the late response. And of course ground combat is important, but I was just focusing on getting my space skill sets, set.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
# 8
12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Late answer, a moron (pwebranflakes) needed to wave his e-peen around and I was randomly selected.
Not a pleasant experience; I understand why he has to use force, nobody would willingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
If he is going for a tank build, there is really no need for him to put a 9 in Energy Weapons Specialization. I run an escort with just 3 points and I have no trouble putting out damage.
No trouble putting out damage? What does that mean?
I'd understand arguments about gaining survivability or utility at the cost of damage, but just "having no trouble"? You put more points there, your damage will increase, if slightly.

Quote:
Tanks usually do not run high weapons power, therefore these points will be wasted most of the time.
Yes, they do. A Cruiser can easily max both Shields and Weapons and should.
If you run low Weapons, you're not holding hate, so you're not tanking very well.

Quote:
Driver coil is also an invaluable skill to have if you want to go a decent speed in Sector space.
Sacrificing combat performance for Sector Speed is dubious, especially when Driver Coil is such a small factor in Sector Speed compared to Engines, Slipstreams, Diplomacy and Fleetbase level.

Quote:
Dropping Projectile weapons to 0 means effectively decreasing effectiveness of all torpedoes by 25%. Cruisers can not run 8 energy weapons effectively. It just drains too much power in the broadside (-80 all weapons power per volley). There have been numerous tests that can be found on the forums to prove that 6 beams function more effectively than 8 beams.
The sweet spot for a cruiser is 6 beam arrays and 2 torps/mines. Take away points in projectile weapons and cruisers lose their one effective spike damage ability.
Yes it does, yes they can, no it doesn't, -70*, no there haven't, no it isn't, no and no one over 12 cares about "spike damage".
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
# 9
12-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Okay I have changed the build quite a lot as I have moved from Odyssey to Assault Refit. I took some input from everyone to improve on my build. I will make it more clear though that this is meant as a Hybrid: DPS/ off tank. So DPS is Primary and I can off tank if the main tank were to need it. Here is the new build.
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ultRefitBui2_0

Edit*Updated*

Last edited by aaronjarcher621; 12-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
# 10
12-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjarcher621 View Post
Okay I have changed the build quite a lot as I have moved from Odyssey to Assault Refit. I took some input from everyone to improve on my build. I will make it more clear though that this is meant as a Hybrid: DPS/ off tank. So DPS is Primary and I can off tank if the main tank were to need it. Here is the new build.
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ultRefitBui2_0

Edit*Updated*
No threat control on a Cruiser=terribad.
It's not a DD, it's a tank.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 AM.